Reggae is boring.

1001gear

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you know, based on this thread I did some digging in some of the local history books and what I found was really interesting. Calypso or Kiaso as it was originally called evolved from a mixture of African music and French trubador music, which the French brough to Trinidad when they left French colonies like Martinique with their slaves during the French revolution. The French would pretty much party their asses off and the slaves would not be allowed to part take and so they basically said "{censored} um, if we can't go to their party we will have our own" which is eventually evolved in to our local Carnival.... That being said what surprised me was they have dated Kasio music as far back as the 1800's but obviously no recordings to prove that....So when was the first recording? There's a dispute about the first recording, some say it was done in a Kaiso Tent, which is where competitions were and are still held today, in 1914 and others say it was done by a Trinidadian Calypso band in 1912 in a New York recording studio. As recorded music became more popular American Jazz began to influence Kaiso, which later became known as Calypso when Europeans settlers put it in to print (Trinidad has a LONG history of Europeans bastardising names and spellings because they basically didn't care about how YOU spelt it, basically it went like, this is what it sounded like so this is how you're going to spell it now), the two names are interchangeable though and still are up to today but Kaiso is mostly used when talking about "old time" Calypso. Fast forward a bit to 50's when the Good Ole USA set up a few army bases here in Trinidad, it brought more outside influences from R&B and Blues music but also helped export the music, the old Calypso song "rum and coca cola" is all about the Americans arriving in Trinidad during the war and the women basically gold digging and becoming prostitues for the American soldiers...and the song came about because that's what Calypso is all about, social commentary... The next REAL evolution didn't really come until a Trinidadian Calypsonian called Ras Shorty I lay the ground work for Soca music which has now turned to {censored} IMO LOL... all about fast beats and dumb lyrics... give me my Kaiso/Calypso over that nonsense any day...

So I got in touch with my friend who threw the info about Calypso and such at me. I pointed him to this thread. He read it and said, "he doesn't know what he's talking about." I'm not debating either point because I'm too lazy to do the research myself and I would prefer to just play the music. But thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So I got in touch with my friend who threw the info about Calypso and such at me. I pointed him to this thread. He read it and said, "he doesn't know what he's talking about." I'm not debating either point because I'm too lazy to do the research myself and I would prefer to just play the music. But thanks for the info.

LOL... yeah... I don't know what I'm talking about.. I just live in the country where it's from and grew up with the music, but he went to a university in the US and learnt about it in books, clearly I'm the less qualified person on the topic... to each their own LOL...

• Members

LOL... yeah... I don't know what I'm talking about.. I just live in the country where it's from and grew up with the music, but he went to a university in the US and learnt about it in books, clearly I'm the less qualified person on the topic... to each their own LOL...

Calm down, playa. You won, it's done.

Archived