Anyone use a "regular" head as snare head....

Fluke

• Members

next Q,

Anybody tried or know of a "shaker" snare? Tiny beads instead of wires. ?

I have made my own snare wires before - I used guitar strings. Years ago, I made a device that held the strings tight and after I soldered them in place to the brackets (and the welds were solid) I clipped off the excess string.

It worked pretty well, actually. I never tried it with wrapped strings, just the solid higher pitched strings... I've been wondering how different strings, like bass strings, would work.) I may have to do some experimenting at some point.

• Members

I have made my own snare wires before - I used guitar strings. Years ago, I made a device that held the strings tight and after I soldered them in place to the brackets (and the welds were solid) I clipped off the excess string.

It worked pretty well, actually. I never tried it with wrapped strings, just the solid higher pitched strings... I've been wondering how different strings, like bass strings, would work.) I may have to do some experimenting at some point.

Sounds very similar to Grover wires. I own the jazz brights, kind of an old school sound.

• Members

The bearing edge is why the snares on the OUTSIDE resonate on the outer surface of the head. If you had snare wires inside, pulled via straps at the bearing edge, the effect would be to pull the snares AWAY from the inner surface of the head.

Unless you had exterior downward facing offset rollers that you could run the straps around, pulling them in the direction you wanted.

Archived