Anyone use a "regular" head as snare head....

Fluke

• Members

What does everyone here think about using a "regular" thickness head as the bottom head on a snare, rather than one of those super thin purpose made snare side heads? I just recently changed the bottom head of my super cheap 14x5 snare to one, and while it was less than satisfactory either way, it really improved the warmth of the sound quite a bit, as well as reducing snare buzz and ringing problems.

But i'm curious about how common this is among you "real" drummers on here and what you think about it.... after all there was only one head thickness available back in the day, before synthetic heads - or am i wrong about that one? :rolleyes:

• Members

Well, sound is totally subjective. If you like that particular sound coming out of that drum with that head on the snare side, then by all means, keep it there.

Personally, I'd never want that sound. I like my snare drum to ring and be loud and crispy. Putting on an ambassador-weight head on the bottom is going to prevent that from happening. The reason for thinner ply heads on the snare side is so the snares have a chance to vibrate...after all, that is the sound they are suppose to make. The thicker the head, the more 'thuddy' it's going to sound - it doesn't let the snares do its job. 'Thuddy' is not 'warmth'.

There is sympathic snare-buzz vibration in almost every snare drum...and it's not a bad thing unless it's uncontrollable. It usually gets uncontrollable if the snare strainer is not tight enough against the head or the drum is horridly out of tune. I have found guys with problems with this don't tighten the bottom head enough. Tighten that sucker up. Putting on a drumhead to aleviate snare drum buzz or overtone problems tend to lack tuning skills.

There is a reason why 98% of drummers don't put thicker heads on the snare side. It just doesn't work well. A snare is not a tom. You CAN do it tho if you like, there is noone telling you you can't. Well, just ME.....but I am a nobody. Don't do it ! Don't do it! forallthatisgoodandmighty!!

• Members

I've never tried it, but it sounds like an interesting idea. I currently have a snare with a pinstripe on one side and an Attack coated 1-ply on the other. I don't have snares for it, but I think when I get them I'll try using the Attack as the reso.

I don't know about the history of drum heads, but that makes sense.

• Members

Well, sound is totally subjective. If you like that particular sound coming out of that drum with that head on the snare side, then by all means, keep it there.

Personally, I'd never want that sound. I like my snare drum to ring and be loud and crispy. Putting on an ambassador-weight head on the bottom is going to prevent that from happening. The reason for thinner ply heads on the snare side is so the snares have a chance to vibrate...after all, that is the sound they are suppose to make. The thicker the head, the more 'thuddy' it's going to sound - it doesn't let the snares do its job. 'Thuddy' is not 'warmth'.

There is sympathic snare-buzz vibration in almost every snare drum...and it's not a bad thing unless it's uncontrollable. It usually gets uncontrollable if the snare strainer is not tight enough against the head or the drum is horridly out of tune. I have found guys with problems with this don't tighten the bottom head enough. Tighten that sucker up. Putting on a drumhead to aleviate snare drum buzz or overtone problems tend to lack tuning skills.

There
is
a reason why 98% of drummers
don't
put thicker heads on the snare side. It just doesn't work well. A snare is not a tom. You CAN do it tho if you like, there is noone telling you you can't. Well, just ME.....but I am a nobody. Don't do it ! Don't do it! forallthatisgoodandmighty!!

That's about the sum of it.

Personally wouldn't go there for all the above reasons.

Also, in my experience, if the use of an Ambassador or similar weight batter head on the reso side of a snare drum IMPROVES the sound...something else was wrong in the first place.

• Members

sound. Great rimshots etc...

No, you wouldn't get a sustained sound, you'd get lots of little staccato sounds, as every time you hit the drum, those little beads would launch off the reso head at differing velocities, some bouncing off the underside of the batter, etc., and they would then land/bounce on the reso at different points as well.

One big sound, then lots of little 'echo' sounds.

• Members

No, you wouldn't get a sustained sound, you'd get lots of little staccato sounds, as every time you hit the drum, those little beads would launch off the reso head at differing velocities, some bouncing off the underside of the batter, etc., and they would then land/bounce on the reso at different points as well.

One big sound, then lots of little 'echo' sounds.

Yeah in the vent hole maybe. What I pictured was some kind of internal grid - the loose bead equivalent of a DynaSonic frame or failing that, parallel strands of tiny beads instead of wire. Externally of course.

The internal ones at least might hiss for a bit longer than wire.

• Members

Yeah in the vent hole maybe. What I pictured was some kind of internal grid - the loose bead equivalent of a DynaSonic frame or failing that, parallel strands of tiny beads instead of wire. Externally of course.

The internal ones at least might hiss for a bit longer than wire.

wonder how tight you can get those lamp pull chains. that's kinda what i see from your explanation. seems heavy, tho.

• Members

parallel strands of tiny beads instead of wire. Externally of course.The internal ones at least might hiss for a bit longer than wire.

I wonder how "pull chain", you know, the kind on a ceiling fan, [with the little balls connected by links], would sound like, instead of snare wire?

EDIT: Sorry cdawg, I didn't see your post. You beat me to it. I posted while reading 1001's post, and never got to yours.

• Members

you bastard, ff!! i want my credit!! (send any money made on this idea to me.)

lends to another question:

what are the pros and cons to tighter and looser snares?

i've heard of choking the snare with snares that are too tight. which leads me to ask, why not put the snares on the inside of the drum? you could still access them thru slits in the drum. and the snare tension wouldn't have to be as tight. what am i missing?

• Members

"why not put the snares on the inside of the drum? you could still access them thru slits in the drum."

They do have this on some marching snares, underneath the batter head, and a set in the normal place. I don't know what it would do to put it on the inside on the bottom head. I think it could cause an issue on the bottom bearing edge, but I don't know for sure about this. I know that if it didn't have a snare bed it would be a buzzier snare.

• Members

They do have this on some marching snares, underneath the batter head, and a set in the normal place. I don't know what it would do to put it on the inside on the bottom head.
I think it could cause an issue on the bottom bearing edge

good point.

thanks for the daf vid, fluke. never saw that before. that'd be a cool way to attach pull chains. an' just let 'em rest on the inside, bottom head. then you could just clip off balls to shorten them to lessen the effect.

looks like i'm gonna find a cheap metal snare!

• Members

Bonham used an Ambassador on the bottom of the 402...but he hit it very hard!

Carm, I'm pretty sure that his "Ambassador" was a hazy Ambassador snare-side head, not the same as a batter. Jeff Ocheltree details his kit & tuning in this video, and mentions that Bonham used coated Emperors on the batter sides of most everything, and usually an Ambassador, but sometimes a Diplomat, on the snare side. Check it at just after the 2:00 mark...

[video=youtube;_mrNjz_U0ZM]

• Members

then you could just clip off balls

I did that to the cats, they weren't too happy about it.

Why not try it with the snare you just sprayed rubber it?

I don't see how snares inside the drum would affect the bearing edge. Don't the straps (or strings, depending) rest on the edge anyways? How would it be different on the other side of the head? Also, I think a snare bed would help, and I don't think many snares are made without beds.

That Daf is pretty cool

• Members

Why not try it with the snare you just sprayed rubber it?

its a nice lookin' snare and i'd like a good back-up. think i'll look for a cheapy on craigs for this project. i'm already thinking to do the same spray technique and then drill holes around the bottom perimeter, then riveting clasps to the metal shell to accept the pull chain balls that will just lay on the inside of the bottom head. (maybe i'll drill 1 1/2" holes in the shell to control the ring instead of the spray, as someone suggested.)

• Members

I don't see how snares inside the drum would affect the bearing edge. Don't the straps (or strings, depending) rest on the edge anyways? How would it be different on the other side of the head? Also, I think a snare bed would help, and I don't think many snares are made without beds.

The bearing edge is why the snares on the OUTSIDE resonate on the outer surface of the head. If you had snare wires inside, pulled via straps at the bearing edge, the effect would be to pull the snares AWAY from the inner surface of the head.

Archived