If ya got about 20 minutes to kill...

Buckin Fastard

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...Try both and they'll drive you crazy.

I'm no expert on the all encompassing, and what I don't know about the form could fit volumes. However, this I do know. ' Jazz' is a meaningless acronym that was given music of a particular style simply because back in 1909 they had no other way of describing it ( it was even called ' JASS' before the zzzz's took over. You can track the progression of Jazz almost by the decade, as various innovators came and went, one new vibrant form rebelled against the previous as old and outdated, etc.

My point is, under that particular big top, there be room for everyones' particular hobby horse of era they're partial to . Just like Bebop was a reaction to big band, then Free jazz was a reaction to Bebop, then Fusion came along and was reacting to both jazz and rock, then you had the Neo Traditionalists with Wynton leading the charge on what jazz protocols you should follow and stop me anytime please!

Bottom line: Within all of the above, you'll find enough musical brilliance to power a small latin banana republic for just about forever, never mind returning to it. As for me, well, here's a few Jazz albums I couldn't do without:

Miles Davis : Kind Of Blue

Tony Williams Lifetime: Any of them

Benny Goodman: The Capitol Years

The Dave Brubeck Collection

Ellis Marsalis - Loved Ones

Wynton Marsalis and the New Lincoln Centre Orchestra Live

Return To Forever: Name any of them, I'm there. Honourable mention: Al De Miola's Elegant Gypsy.

Jeff Beck : Wired Or Blow By Blow

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus

Charlie Parker With Strings

Bird And Diz

I could go on but like Bird said once about soloing....' More than two choruses and you're just practicing ....

:thu::thu:PEACE:thu::thu:

• Members

...Try both and they'll drive you crazy.

I'm no expert on the all encompassing, and what I don't know about the form could fit volumes. However, this I do know. ' Jazz' is a meaningless acronym that was given music of a particular style simply because back in 1909 they had no other way of describing it ( it was even called ' JASS' before the zzzz's took over. You can track the progression of Jazz almost by the decade, as various innovators came and went, one new vibrant form rebelled against the previous as old and outdated, etc.

My point is, under that particular big top, there be room for everyones' particular hobby horse of era they're partial to . Just like Bebop was a reaction to big band, then Free jazz was a reaction to Bebop, then Fusion came along and was reacting to both jazz and rock, then you had the Neo Traditionalists with Wynton leading the charge on what jazz protocols you should follow and stop me anytime please!

Bottom line: Within all of the above, you'll find enough musical brilliance to power a small latin banana republic for just about forever, never mind returning to it. As for me, well, here's a few Jazz albums I couldn't do without:

Miles Davis : Kind Of Blue

Tony Williams Lifetime: Any of them

Benny Goodman: The Capitol Years

The Dave Brubeck Collection

Ellis Marsalis - Loved Ones

Wynton Marsalis and the New Lincoln Centre Orchestra Live

Return To Forever: Name any of them, I'm there. Honourable mention: Al De Miola's Elegant Gypsy.

Jeff Beck : Wired Or Blow By Blow

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus

Charlie Parker With Strings

Bird And Diz

I could go on but like Bird said once about soloing....' More than two choruses and you're just practicing ....

:thu:
:thu:PEACE:thu:
:thu:

If you think this thread is just about jazz then you've missed all this King Curtis, Levon Helm, Johnny Taylor, Soft Machine, and other stuff that we put up.

• Members

Just about Soft Machine. I have an album called The Progressives. It's a modern music sampler. Ornette Coleman and a few others I can't recall. I believe Soft Machine was represented as well. Anyway Ornette Coleman was kinda trippy, I have little recollection of Soft Machine but I do recall spinning it more than a couple times.
I think what it is about that era of modern is there's not a lot to learn there. Listenable but just guys blowin in the dark. You could almost say it blows lol. And you could for sure always blow your own. Anyway so I went with stuff like Don Ellis, and Maynard and BR who had cool rhythms at least.

Archived