Pictures of me!

JMR

• Members

I think the person saying a band CAN play hard and fast for a longer amount of time is a bit more open-minded than the one saying it can't. Don't make excuses for why you can't: set the goal to make more great music so you can.

For the record, my set Friday night wasnt screamo, real or faux, but still plenty hard and fast.

We went just shy of two hours straight through, and the audience wanted more...

(and yes, I'm still sore and creaky a day and a half later, but that's the price oh pay when oure and old goat like me).

• Members

I'm not making excuses. I can play for hours, doesn't mean I'm going to. There's a poster on this board who plays in a local band around here. THey're good, but they play forever. Maybe that works at a bar where no one gives a {censored}, but I don't want to see rehashed 80s hardcore for an hour and a half.

• Members

I'm not making excuses. I can play for hours, doesn't mean I'm going to. There's a poster on this board who plays in a local band around here. THey're good, but they play forever. Maybe that works at a bar where no one gives a {censored}, but I don't want to see rehashed 80s hardcore for an hour and a half.

True. Playing cover sets for hours isn't for everyone. Doing what you love to do and having fun while doing it, putting some passion into your own music, and meeting cool people who share that similar passion to the music you like/make are what matter... IMO.

Entertaining people for hours is for Pink Floyd, Cover bands, and old dudes who didn't quite "make it". (not bashing everyone who plays in a cover band, because I know some of you do make pretty good money doing it and enjoy it.)

Trolls will be trolls. And self proclaimed pros will be self proclaimed pros.

Do what you do.

/endrant.

• Members

You think I'm trying to pick a fight with you.

You're wrong.

I just have a problem with you claiming, in your obvious youth perspective, that to play longer than 15 minutes/or whatever short set time means that you're not giving it 'all' to the audience or entertaining them or holding their attention to the max.

It's incorrect.

Completely.

I've played multi-hour single sets of covers and originals over the years, and one thing holds true: if what you're playing is good enough, people will listen/pay attention/dig it/want more.

You'll learn differently, one would hope.

• Members

yeah. We also don't play very long. Only about 13-15 minutes, very little talking. I hate bands that talk too much, unless they actually have something interesting to say (which usually they don't). With long sets... I don't know, I just don't like playing long sets because then I have to conserve energy.
I like for our sets to be short, loud, and to the point.

's wat the dude likes.

and, obviously, what the crowd likes.

jmr, burn hard, die young, bruddah.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

http://killthatcat.com/2011/10/his-hero-is-gone-december-13th-1997-full-set/

http://killthatcat.com/2011/04/short-fast-saturday-iron-lung-fullset/

- examples of an effective short set.

this is more the type of music we play http://killthatcat.com/2011/05/portraits-of-past-august-2nd-2008/

also, my band's doing a short midwestern weekend tour. michigan and chicago.

Archived