foot/stick control

JMR

• Members

I need to build up consistency/endurance with my single strokes on kick (not going double ever. no. no. no.I hate the way double sounds and... i hate it). I have pretty fast heel-toe stuff, but my single strokes are just meh. I've been adjusting my kick pedal lately, any suggestions as far as that goes?

In terms of stick, I've got pretty good speed and endurance, I'm using a lot of paradiddles, but I want to learn some new stuff.

articles, videos, opinions, etc?

• Members

Are you just getting started with the drums? You say you want to learn new stuff, but hate the way double strokes sound on the kick. Double strokes on the kick, in the form of dotted or plain eighth notes has been a primary part of all my playing since 1964. I don't understand why you'd limit yourself like that.

• Members

Yeah. Biggest mistake with doubles is forcing the second hit. Bad chops obviously but more than that, the double is bound to be set rong; metrically displaced by whatever lag is in your strokes. Your best bet is get a Camco type pedal, leave the stroke long - JA center on a 22, and learn the feel and timing. Yup, one stroke at a time.

If you prefer 'organ key' action, you're on your own.

• Members

Are you just getting started with the drums? You say you want to learn new stuff, but hate the way double strokes sound on the kick. Double strokes on the kick, in the form of dotted or plain eighth notes has been a primary part of all my playing since 1964. I don't understand why you'd limit yourself like that.

Because double kick pedals are {censored}ty and only used for metal. :lol:

• Members

Because double kick pedals are {censored}ty and only used for metal.
:lol:

Yeah right. You might not like drummers such as Weckl or Smith, but their kits have double pedals and they're music isn't metal. By the way, the OP didn't say anything about pedals and neither did I.

• Members

Yeah right. You might not like drummers such as Weckl or Smith, but their kits have double pedals and they're music isn't metal. By the way, the OP didn't say anything about pedals and neither did I.

Sorry, I didn't think the sarcasm of my post would go over your head.

• Members

OP didn't say double pedal specifically, but if I'm reading between the lines/poor word choice & syntax, I believe that's exactly what he meant by 'doubles'.

• Members

I hate the way double sounds and... i hate it

What exactly do you mean? Is it the actual sound that you don't like, or the way many people use them (i.e. just nonstop 16th notes)? Is it something else entirely?

I've never been able to hear a difference in sound between single pedals and doubles, so I'm curious. (Double pedals that is, or identically tuned double bass drums; if it's two drums tuned pretty differently, I can hear a difference.)

• Members

OP didn't say double pedal specifically, but if I'm reading between the lines/poor word choice & syntax, I believe that's exactly what he meant by 'doubles'.

I guess I got hung up on his saying "I hate the way double sounds..." not thinking that he was referring to the kind of hardware, be they single or double pedals. The OP wants to learn new stuff, but at this point I think an instructor might be the most beneficial.

• Members

What exactly do you mean? Is it the actual sound that you don't like, or the way many people use them (i.e. just nonstop 16th notes)? Is it something else entirely?

I've never been able to hear a difference in sound between single pedals and doubles, so I'm curious. (Double pedals that is, or identically tuned double bass drums; if it's two drums tuned pretty differently, I can hear a difference.)

When I listen to some early grind or faster hardcore punk where there is single kick (there is rarely double in that stuff, actually), you can hear the drummer fatiguing, and it adds to the sound. It doesn't sound like he/she's chilled out like it does in some many modern "metal" bands. Music can't sound frantic and spastic if everything is quantized to a t. You catch my drift? Also, I feel drummers who use double kick tend to rely on it much too much.

Sorry, I wrote this all up rather quickly, it's a little hard to understand now that I re-read it!

Also, I am using an Axis X series. I like the feel quite a bit. It's very dynamic. I've been playing for a decent length of time. About 6-7 years.

• Members

When I listen to some early grind or faster hardcore punk where there is single kick (there is rarely double in that stuff, actually), you can hear the drummer fatiguing, and it adds to the sound. It doesn't sound like he/she's chilled out like it does in some many modern "metal" bands. Music can't sound frantic and spastic if everything is quantized to a t. You catch my drift? Also, I feel drummers who use double kick tend to rely on it much too much.

Also, I am using an Axis X series. I like the feel quite a bit. It's very dynamic. I've been playing for a decent length of time. About 6-7 years.

Ah, we get to some aesthetics here. I can relate to your realist perspective. Paintings for one have been natural, often crude depictions for millennia. Wonderful means of communication. From a craft point of view though, I lean towards those artists that can actually draw. I don't need a painting to depict 'life can suck'. Obvious drift already so let me ask, what is it you're searching for in your music?

• Members

JMR ,I agree that double pedals or kicks are used way too much.A lot of times I'm wondering at the placement with in the music why certain bass notes are even played.Just having bought a double pedal I can't say I writing them off too.But I think the addition of it is good for accents or a taste of it ,if the song calls for it,Not a steady stream of it.But back to what you ask ,I would say to try some latin or funk type of grooves,this way the different patterns you learn can expand and increase your foot speed and endurance.Also take the patterns that give you trouble and practice them slower than normal, you probably have already done this. also try these tunes.Use ME=Bill Withers,Easy Back-The Meters,Heard It On the X-ZZTOP,Good Times,Bad Times -Led Zepplin....

• Members

Yeah, I'm picking up what you're putting down. Interesting perspective on it.

• Members

I don't have trouble with fast bass as much as fast straight-note bass. Straight 4/4 16ths? hard. Spazzy 3/4 stuff? not as hard for me.

for example,

[video=youtube;hQjPFMNZcDo]

this is about as fast as I want to go. I know this guy uses only a single pedal because I've seen the band live. I can't quite get there, and when I can, I can't stay there. I think it's mostly a technique problem.

• Members

Seeing as you want to work on your single strokes, use a metronome and pick a tempo where you are comfortable playing 8th notes on the kick. Do that for a minute, rest 30 sec, then increase the tempo 10-20 bpm and play for another minute. Do this till you hit your max. You should also do this with your hands one at a time. Don't do this workout daily, because you will get hurt. Over time your foot speed will increase. I started doing this type of workout with my hands and feet on and off for years. I started doing this workout again about 2 months ago, and I can do 8ths at 240 with either hand or foot. Back when I way more into doing this, my max was 8ths at 260. Again you are only working one limb at a time. Then you work both limbs together using the same methodology with the tempo settings on the metronome.

• Members

the band probably recorded it themselves. Additionally, it's a poor quality vinyl rip on youtube.

these are bit better quality. a few blasts in this.

[video=youtube;gH_wdqNCzOA]

[video=youtube;N08ynWoHWY8]

• Members

I know that you have the Axis pedals. Are they longboards or regular? Where's your spring tension set? There are somethings about the longboards that you can do, but they depend on your foot postion, like heel-toe where you are doing from the ball of your foot to toe with little to no foot movement up/down the footboard, but you don't want to do doubles.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived