4 Piece!

MX DRUMMER

• Members

I have always been a 5 or 6 piece kind of guy until recently. I decided to give it another try after doing so and not liking it a few months back. I tell you what I really got into it. It's a lot of fun and I find my fills are actually more versatile and I have done some pretty cool things that brought great sounds out of the toms because I had to utilize them differently without the full range I'm used too. I think im gonna stick with it! Also I started messing around with traditional grip and found I really liked that too!

• Members

I went through a two year phase where i possessed vigorous snobbery towards anything other than a 4 piece. It's still my preference, mostly out of laziness. If you like lugging around a bunch of {censored} for two drink tickets and a high five, go for it. I can understand and sometimes envy the increased sonic palette of a big ass kit though.

• Members

I'll occasionally enjoy the novelty of multiple toms, but the truth is I'll never feel completely comfortable unless my cymbals are fairly close. I'd certainly hate to gig a large set, even if I didn't personally carry it some stages would suck big time without some breathing room.

• Members

Actually with the Yamaha I still play it as the full 6 piece. Sometimes I don't set up all the cymbals on it but that's about it. My PDP is what I have been setting up as four. And I have been using just 2 crashes, ride, and hats when I play it

• Members

I recently did the same thing, but didnt have quite so successful results. I found myself very stiff and uncomfortable going from the tom to the floor tom. I know its a matter of practice, but I felt lacking. I went back to 3 racks and a floor after 2 weeks or so.

Im so ashamed.

• Members

I keep swapping between 1 up, 1 down and 2 up, 1 down. At the end of the day, I just feel most at home with the 4 piece, but I often wished I had the second rack tom for tonal variance.

I guess I feel like my groove is deeper on the four piece.

• Members

My lab kit is essentially a 4 piece. Two ups no floors but with dual hats and dbl kick pdl it's more a dual 3 piece. When I take it out I leave out the right hat for a floor and it's a standard 5 piece. The experimental work stays home too.

• Members

I have a 2 up 2 down set that I have been running for the past few years. But as of late, I changed to 1 up 2 down. I think that I like this setup better because it lets me get my ride over the kick drum.

I do want to get a small four piece bop kit. Easy to transport and not a big foot print.

• Members

I switch it up. I do like a 4 piece a lot because the ride cymbal can be low and close in. Everything can be close in. I like that.

However sometimes, like now, I have the 2nd tom on the bass drum and I like the extra drum.

Kindof defepends. If I'm doing blues or or jazz or classic rock like Stones, CCR etc, I go 4.

When I'm feeling really progressive or fusiony, I drag out the 6/8/10 rotos too. But then that makes everything higher up and farther away which I don't like.

• Members

I have a 5 piece but have been playing a 4 piece for a long time 12/16/22.

Reasons: I don't like the pitch diff between the 12 and 13 that is in a case. I don't like having that big of a drum up in front of me. I like the positioning of 1 rack and the ride

I would try a 14" floor tom if I found something that sounded and looked like my kit. The problem with that is I have an old set of Gretsch that I 'customized' many years ago. So the bearing edges and the color won't match up to anything out there without allot of work. I would maybe try a 10" rack tom just to add some tonal color.

Lastly and most important, I really like playing a 4 piece kit!!!

• Members

I have a 5 piece but have been playing a 4 piece for a long time 12/16/22.

Reasons: I don't like the pitch diff between the 12 and 13 that is in a case. I don't like having that big of a drum up in front of me. I like the positioning of 1 rack and the ride

I would try a 14" floor tom if I found something that sounded and looked like my kit.

ALL of the above was absolutely how I'd always looked at things, down to the preferred configuration (12/16/22) and the dislike of pitch differences to a 13, having a big drum up front, positioning of ride, etc.

Ultimately went to a 14/16 FT set-up when buying a new kit a few years ago...but even then it was never truly something I got comfortable with, even though I like the sounds I was covering.

Moved the 14 to my hihat side a while back, largely to be able to better cover a few songs we do where the original recording was done with a FT on that side, and it totally changed my mindset about it.

Archived