Drummers - I need your help/input/advice about an agressive, loud drummer

LynchProtoge

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good drummers arent that hard to find.

haha Wrong. I live in Houston. Trust me, it is hard to find a Real good drummer. Drummers hit me up! lol

Being a drummer myself, I have never had a problem with anyone telling me what to do. If it needs to be lightened up, I do it. It is the job. Everyone has to follow the back bone. If he is a seasoned pro, he would completely understand.

• Members

OP: please do update us with the outcome, its good for us to know if we give horrible advice or not.

haha Wrong. I live in Houston. Trust me, it is hard to find a Real good drummer.

Thats right, ever since the MERMAN left H-Town there has been a good drummer drought. :p

I sure to miss sweating my balls off at Fitzs, Scout Bar, and the dozens of crappy ass dives that made for the most entertaining shows. But Houston is the armpit of hell climate wise, no human should live there.

To the rest of you who think my name is so damn funny: Awww... I never felt so loved! :D

Old nurse I used to work with called me Marlin forever, thought I was a fisherman and that was my nickname.

• Members

haha Wrong. I live in Houston. Trust me, it is hard to find a Real good drummer. Drummers hit me up! lol

Being a drummer myself, I have never had a problem with anyone telling me what to do. If it needs to be lightened up, I do it. It is the job. Everyone has to follow the back bone. If he is a seasoned pro, he would completely understand.

kick'em again

• Members

I'm starting up a cover band with a seasoned pro who is genuinely nice, but is also uber aggressive on his kit. I am playing through a 212 and its barely hanging in there against him. He says it sounds fine and is ok with it - but I insist its not as much for him as it is for me.

I dont really want to have to get a bigger/louder amp, but I also dont quite know how to effectively communicate with this guy to get him to ease up and not hit so hard like godzilla on his drums.

I think hes used to playing with guys who have stacks and it was never an issue - as he makes no apologies and shows no sign of compromising his heavy hands. We just met and I dont wanna make any rifts by insisting he ease up - but I really dont wanna have to upgrade my gear just to compete with his thrashing.

Any suggestions on how to approach this kind of guy to get him to understand or at least take the hint and tone it down?

More than likely I would venture to guess you are both too loud for proper stage volume. I would approach it as a team goal to reduce stage volume. "hey man been listening and I think we are just too damn loud, let's focus on playing that same song at 2 vs 10 so we can explore better use of dynamics" If it's in his style to use a heavy touch and it's a habit, can be a hard habit to break. May I ask the style of music? :)

• Members

Ok, well - we talked, and you guys were right - hes just wanting to do things his way and its likely a sure sign of bigger problems to come.

After merely mentioning we need to figure out a way to fix this issue, and it would mean either adjusting my amp or him not playing so hard - he got REAL defensive and insisted the way he plays is just the way he plays.

So, after advising him that I consulted other drummers for advice - and in no way did I ask for affirmation that he was the problem or that I might need a bigger amp - he got pissed off, said that was an insult and we agreed we would just go our separate ways.

Man, thats just too much damn drama to play music :facepalm:

• Members

Ok, well - we talked, and you guys were right - hes just wanting to do things his way and its likely a sure sign of bigger problems to come.

After merely mentioning we need to figure out a way to fix this issue, and it would mean either adjusting my amp or him not playing so hard - he got REAL defensive and insisted the way he plays is just the way he plays.

So, after advising him that I consulted other drummers for advice - and in no way did I ask for affirmation that he was the problem or that I might need a bigger amp - he got pissed off, said that was an insult and we agreed we would just go our separate ways.

Man, thats just too much damn drama to play music
:facepalm:

I can see both sides of the issue.

I'm your former drummer. I use large drums and hit fairly hard. Why? It's just the style I developed from playing Heavy Metal with guys who used multiple full stacks for 25+ years. (one lead vocalist/lead guitarist/band leader demanded that we practice with the kick drums mic'd up through the PA system.)

So, after years of doing that, I simply can't play at a low volume and enjoy playing.

People always ask me,"How come you're not in a band?" Easy, I hit too hard to be playing a gig at Dick's Wings.

The bigger clubs where bands like Great White would play? I can play those gigs with no issue, but there are only a few of those places in town.

• Members

Somebody please explain why like 20% of the population in the world puts a Y in my name? Is that a common spelling in folklore? I suppose Im not that well read in Arthurian legend.

In any case, its written right there in every post I make, just sayin...
:p

Myrlyn?

Archived