18" floor tom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you'd have to use some big sticks for that.

My thoughts exactly. It'd take some power to get that 20" to sing, my jazz sticks probably couldn't move the reso. :)
Had that setup been mine I'd be apt to add a marching snare, which it's kinda surprising seeing all that tape on a little snare but no muffling on the upright kicks.

• Members

I really want to add another floor tom, preferably and 18.

Cause I took the 13" off. I just didn't like where it sat between the 12" and the 16"

plus, I play open-handed, so it's much easier to have a 1 up 1 down or 1 up 2 down set up.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

This thread is undead.

The original quote in my sig--now gone, as you can't fit in there what you used to--was indeed from turdadactyl:

"Playing an 18 is like whacking a waterbed."

For myself, I like to have a little rebound. I suck at singles on a pillow.

• Members

zildjian@consol wrote:

I thinking about adding a 18" floor tom to my kit.So whats the good, the bad ,& the ugly about 18's

- the good is you can make a tom fill over one more tom.

- the other good thing is, you will not hit on nothing after the 16x16 tom.

- the bad is, the other musician will take away your toms.

- the ugly is, you will never be again permittet to make a drum solo, or the audience will throw rotten  tomatos at you.

- the band will fire you.

Chester Thompson was fired without notice after this tom fill:

• Members

They are not so bad, You need to spend some time tuning and dampening them to get them to sound good but once you do they sound huge and very full. I use four squares of moon gel on my top head and some gaff tape in an X over the center of the bottom head and I can get a really bassy full tone out of it without too many overtones. I use a two ply coated head on top and a one ply coated head on the bottom

• Members

NBarnes21 wrote:

They are not so bad, You need to spend some time tuning and dampening them to get them to sound good but once you do they sound huge and very full. I use four squares of moon gel on my top head and some gaff tape in an X over the center of the bottom head and I can get a really bassy full tone out of it without too many overtones. I use a two ply coated head on top and a one ply coated head on the bottom

Right! 2ply coated tuned meduim and the bottom tuned the same or a touch higher,The size itself gives the big low end sound

• Members

To me, it depends on what style of music your playing to determine if it's needed. When I play with my original band or a cover band that is 'radio friendly', I don't use one because that bottom end isn't used enough for me to justify lugging that big floor tom around to the gigs. However, when I play in my heavier/metal bands I do bring it because the music calls for it. I typically use 16x14 and a 18x16 floor tom when I play the heavier music as it makes heavier music . . . heavier. hehe   So, I like them but I only use them when it's called for. They're not a good fit for every situation in my opinion.

Archived