Poll: Burying the beater

rayboomboom

• Members

Okay maybe not a poll, but I'd like to read what people think about burring the beater or hit and off.

I see many players burying the beater, Jojo, Lange, etc.  I've always done the hit and off method because I didn't like the pitch of the drum changing (going up) when I pressed the beater against it and liked the added sustain.  But I've recently tried burying the beater and I kinda like it.  It makes it easier to do some faster figures and I'm starting to not mind the pitch change.  BTW I use very little muffling on my kick so the pitch change can be noticeable.

So chime in guys (and dolls)!  Let's hear it.

• Members

Jojo prolly doesn't muffle the kick and uses the limp pedal method so burying can be useful for muting and subtle articulation. My primary concern is full travel on the strokes - ultimately more rangey and musically quick than a dead pedal so no.

• Members

yeah, i usually bury the sucker. i'm playing wide open now, too. so i try to play back further on the pedal so my weight isn't resting on it as much. helps some. but when playing hard or fast, i still bury it.

• Members

I dont think there is a right and wrong way in regards to this. 

I don't bury because if I did, I feel like I couldnt play faster figures.  I suppose if I was playing "thunk" on one and three at 110bpm all the time I might bury it to give the groove a little fatness.  I generally hit with the ball of my foot and then rest my heal back on the heal plate.  Keeps the beater off the head after hitting it.

• Members

vinniewannabe wrote:

I dont think there is a right and wrong way in regards to this. 

I don't bury because if I did, I feel like I couldnt play faster figures.  I suppose if I was playing "thunk" on one and three at 110bpm all the time I might bury it to give the groove a little fatness.  I generally hit with the ball of my foot and then rest my heal back on the heal plate.  Keeps the beater off the head after hitting it.

yep.....not a right or wrong thing.........hit drum..thats all that matters.  everyone has theyre own style ..who's to say whats right or wrong....

Archived