Drum Video: Show Us Your Stuff!

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

Here's a video with pics and some* live footage of my band, Flight, Recording and some live pics from our July 7th show at the end...One of our originals is playing over it, vocals have to be re-recorded as we were both sick the day we recorded... anywho..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I tried to leave this post yesterday, but apparently it did not work, so here goes again.

DZ, that's you in all of those vids on youtube w/ that killer bonham kit? Man, I've been watchin' your stuff for a coupla years now. Great stuff. You gots skills.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BeakerArk View Post
I tried to leave this post yesterday, but apparently it did not work, so here goes again.

DZ, that's you in all of those vids on youtube w/ that killer bonham kit? Man, I've been watchin' your stuff for a coupla years now. Great stuff. You gots skills.
You put a big smile on my face smile.gif Thanks for watching brother!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I usually don't share video with me being in it but I figured what the hell everyone else does. I was playing with a friends band.It's my kit that I am using since their drummer had a little back problems that weekend and had hard time with loading and unloading,not sure how he played the gig but he done it. I did screw up a few times but the monitor by the drums went out and I got lost. Song is AC/DC Highway to Hell.
I had fun playing and I think it was my 4th time playing with them with no practice other then at home alone. Also the throne was up a little higher then I am used to and that threw me off a bit. This was done back in November but I am just now getting a chance to view the video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Andrew this is one skill that has eluded me for years. Believe me, I've tried. the famous heel toe technique would be amazing for what I do at schools if I could get it, but no luck.
First question: What kind of pedal is that? I've been working with an old pre-iron cobra double pedal, nothing like an accelerator or whatever. Also the angle of your pedal to the floor (floor being 100% horizontal) is nearly twice mine, and my beaters have a much shorter distance to the head. Got this idea from Bozzio, makes it easier to do multiple pedals at once. I think though it might be holding me back from doing what you are demonstrating.
Second question: how tight do you have the springs? I've tried loose, tight, nothing helps.

• Members

Quick update..I made my double pedal higher by moving from the lowest possible setting on the actual bolt through the chain drive to up one notch on both pedals, raising the pedal maybe 10 degrees. I immediately noticed an impact playing 16th and triplet 16ths. This may be enough to get by with my primary audience being thousands of middle school kids, with occassional high school kids, but the high school metal boys won't be impressed. I tried the toe/ball of your foot technique, without shoes (I hate playing without shoes) for about an hour. Little to no success. I assume the knee drops on the ball, raises on the toe, that is the only thing that made any sense, but still no luck.

• Members

It sounds like you got the general idea of heel-toe, now you just have to get the mechanics down. Depending on what pedals you have and how they are set up, can affect how much effort you have to put into it. Also do some experimenting with foot position on the pedal to find the "sweet" spot. The way that my pedals are set up, if I put my foot in the sweet spot I can do heel-toe just by transferring the pressure from the ball of my foot to my toe. I haven't got it to that point with my left foot, but my right foot has got it wired, and I can do a continuous flow of notes with it. You may also want to try starting with more of a slide, where you plant your foot closer to the hinge for the first note (heel), and then slide your foot up the board for the second note (toe). With practice you will refine your footwork and there will be less leg movement.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rdrummer322 View Post
Andrew this is one skill that has eluded me for years. Believe me, I've tried. the famous heel toe technique would be amazing for what I do at schools if I could get it, but no luck.
First question: What kind of pedal is that? I've been working with an old pre-iron cobra double pedal, nothing like an accelerator or whatever. Also the angle of your pedal to the floor (floor being 100% horizontal) is nearly twice mine, and my beaters have a much shorter distance to the head. Got this idea from Bozzio, makes it easier to do multiple pedals at once. I think though it might be holding me back from doing what you are demonstrating.
Second question: how tight do you have the springs? I've tried loose, tight, nothing helps.
I wish I could help you out better, but I actually just figured this out myself. I'm normally a slide technique cat so using the heel is still new and somewhat unnatural for me. I only use it when performing triples such as the ones in the video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats View Post
Okay guys, here's Part 1 of my new video series, "The Bleed Chronicles: Playing Meshuggah With One Foot". Hope you guys dig it!

cool idea, very tough task! Cant wait to see where you get on this! (I would do it with you, but i am not ANYWHERE near the level needed to attempt it haha)

Archived