What's your hardest vowel to sing?

davie

• Moderators

Hey guys! :wave:

Just curious to know how you guys feel. Are there any particular vowels you have trouble singing?

Hardest vowel for me in full voice would probably be 'oo' / u

In pure head voice (falsetto/hedsetto) would be 'ah'

• Members

oo is indeed very hard to resonate properly with. I also find 'ah' difficult in my higher chest.

Hardest hedsetto is probably 'ee', but then again I don't really know how to resonate properly with hedsetto at all. :p

• Moderators

Very interesting, guys! Seems like the consensus is that 'oo' is a troublesome vowel. My teacher mentioned that 'oo' is a particularly tough vowel for male voices. (I even have trouble speaking a 'pure oo' :facepalm:)

In 'hedsetto', 'ee' is actually my best vowel.

The vowel scale I've been using also has an 'oh' before the 'oo'. Even do it like this -> ah, ay, ee, [oh, oo] x 3

• Members

I find ooh hard also...it closes off a lot of the space in the mouth I guess.

Ahh opens the mouth so should be easier I suppose.

I find eee is easy to get a loud ringing type of sound.

Ay is ridiculous for me unless I do a very light, floaty voice (which I NEVER do of course, right!? lol)

• Members

Pavarotti says the AH sound takes many years to learn to produce. Something about gutteral, phlegmy tone. I find oo and oh, wo o wo etc. the easiest to make sound good and a full throated AHH the most difficult as per Pavarotti's assertion and also the most difficult to vibrato and therefore sound in tune.

• Members

"EE" at the end of a phrase as in "particularlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"

It sounds a little Miss Piggy if you do it correctly. I think that's why everyone replaces it with "aaaaay"

The hardest word to yell is "moths!" which is good because you hardly ever need to warn a large group of people about them.

• Members

When you say "I" do you mean like in "igloo" or "I am a snowman"? lol

I think "I" is a commonly difficult vowel to get good resonance and power with. I notice a lot of people tend to alter the natural sound of it when they sing so it's more of an "EEE" sound if they draw out the note / vowel. It starts off as "I" but becomes "EEE".

• Members

I think to get any kind of strength or resonance or "bite" from that "I" vowel, you have to emphasise the beginning (the "AH" sound of the "I") or the end (the "EE" sound of the "I")...if that makes sense. The full properly pronounced "I" sound itself, focusing on the middle part that is, would be difficult.

Archived