DukeofBoom, this is your intervention.

MikeyParent

• Members

Duke: Here comes the tough love, because I do believe you could be a valuable member AND co-exist peacefully with the people you say you are trying to help, if you really want to. OTOH if you are not interested in this then feel free to skip this post. I will weigh your subsequent interactions accordingly.

This diatribe is meant to encourage you to reform and to express what I think is probably the opinion of many people here who interact with you. I have tried really hard to stick to addressing behaviours and not devolve into "ad hominem" arguments.

Call it an intervention if you like.

To be honest a very big part of me questions the value of bothering to do this at all since we have been around this block before and it seems from the very typical example below that you are either just "not getting it" or you just don't give a {censored}. I guess I think this place does benefit from your existence, though it is lately becoming a case of diminishing returns (again).

Please show me where I "dumped" on his performance.

I posted that the lyrics are rather vapid and vacuous - which they are - and while they might resonate with old ladies who spend their lives reading romance novels, they mean absolutely nothing to me. They didn't deal with any of the existentialist or tortured love issues that I look for in a song lyrics.

Apparently without realizing it, you just answered your own question: Robby was asking for very specific feedback on a technical point about his song. He was not asking for a critique on the lyrics or anything else that had to do with "liking the song". Now before we get off the rails here, I do understand that Robby has his own issues and is no angel in this. But this goes far beyond this incident and is only one example in a long list.

This is going to echo a post I made to you a long time ago so at the risk of repeating myself I will say it once more:

Even if RockinRobby was soliciting feedback on the lyrics, there is no way your post could be construed as constructive or helpful, since any validity in your response (which is merely opinion btw though you attempt to present it as fact) is utterly lost in your insulting delivery and inflammatory choice of words. This is your typical modus operandi.

I am not sure if you think you are being helpful, funny or just terribly clever but while you may think that it is perfectly acceptable, even desirable, to honestly and bluntly say whatever is on your mind, it is basically a form of social dysfunction that displays gross insensitivity and an overestimation of self-importance.

Most people have a mental filter through which all comments (usually) pass before they are spoken. While a few people will admire the "candor" of folks who lack such a filter, or choose not to employ it, most of the rest of the world will simply view such people as boorish jerks. And they most certainly will not value their opinions, even if they truly are meant constructively.

Compounding this problem, insults in written form, from (essentially) strangers, lack any social or emotional context and when you remove that context all you are left with is the insult: so for example while I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and played along, your comments to me about being girly for not posting my song just fell flat and the jab about my weight was borderline hurtful. And its not that I don't have a sense of humor or can't laugh at myself, it's just that you don't know me well enough or carry yourself appropriately around here to have earned the right to make those jokes. Also because of the way you carry yourself here, most folks I suspect have no clue when you are playfully joking around or just being a mean-spirited jerk (see Penny Arcades Internet {censored}wad theory). I know I sure don't.

So that we may all better understand you and the nature of this problem - and whether you feel it is or not for you, it most certainly *is* a problem for the rest of us - please choose from the list below which statement is most representative of how you conduct yourself on the HC forums:

1) I, Duke of Boom, quite enjoy being a jerk/{censored} disturber but do recognize the need to temper this with helpful and informative posts

2) I, Duke of Boom, am honestly trying to be helpful in providing feedback and information and frankly cannot fathom why people dislike me so much

3) I, Duke of Boom, am honestly trying to be helpful in providing feedback and information and frankly don't care if my "delivery" offends anyone

4) I, Duke of Boom, am honestly trying to be helpful in providing feedback and information and I don't understand why people don't get my sense of humor

5)

Not get all dalai llama or anything but I really hope that you take a moment and question why you are really here.

Disclaimer: I am not a psychologist, so this could all be bull{censored}.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, I decided to give it a whirl and read your post even though it was way too long.

Your premise rests on this argument:

Apparently without realizing it, you just answered your own question: Robby was asking for very specific feedback on a technical point about his song. He was not asking for a critique on the lyrics or anything else that had to do with "liking the song". Now before we get off the rails here, I do understand that Robby has his own issues and is no angel in this. But this goes far beyond this incident and is only one example in a long list.

This is where I take issue.

Rockinrobby NEVER asks for feedback. He posts stuff and expects people to write, "Congratulations." In fact, when people have offered constructive criticism in the past in the Songwriting forum - either in the form of a little advice to change a lyrical phrase or to try this or that in regards to instrumentation - he has always ignored these suggestions, and have never even acknowledged them.

The motive behind all of robby's post has been self-gratification and self-validation. He's never even offered suggestions to other posters, except to write, "I can't determine if this song is good or bad because your recording quality is so poor."

So he wasn't asking for true feedback at all, so I posted what I posted.

In the future, Mikey, please limit your posts to 3 lines or less, because paragraphs is too much for me to read online.

• Members

OK, I decided to give it a whirl and read your post even though it was way too long.

Your premise rests on this argument:

This is where I take issue.

Rockinrobby NEVER asks for feedback. He posts stuff and expects people to write, "Congratulations." In fact, when people have offered constructive criticism in the past in the Songwriting forum - either in the form of a little advice to change a lyrical phrase or to try this or that in regards to instrumentation - he has always ignored these suggestions, and have never even acknowledged them.

The motive behind all of robby's post has been self-gratification and self-validation. He's never even offered suggestions to other posters, except to write, "I can't determine if this song is good or bad because your recording quality is so poor."

So he wasn't asking for true feedback at all, so I posted what I posted.

In the future, Mikey, please limit your posts to 3 lines or less, because paragraphs is too much for me to read online.

No worries. If what you wrote above is all you got out of my post or all you felt worthy of responding to, I am done with you: I wont be wasting (m)any keypresses trying to communicate with you.

Have a good one.

No one can say I (we?) did not try.

• Members

Why do old-guard members of this site insist that everyone think and act exactly like them?

Not sure who you are talking about but if its me, I have fewer posts than either of you.

Anyways who invited you, are you his bodyguard or something?

• Members

Not sure who you are talking about but if its me, I have fewer posts than either of you.

Anyways who invited you, are you his bodyguard or something?

Not talking to you specifically. Just an observation.

I have no affiliation with Duke. It's just that this site is extremely cliquey and I'm wondering why.

• Members

Not talking to you specifically. Just an observation.

It's just that this site is extremely cliquey and I'm wondering why.

Well it's a fact that most community sites that have been around for any length of time are cliquey to some degree or another... its the nature of human interaction. While I believe I speak for the silent majority, I certainly don't think I am in the "in-crowd". In fact I wont be surprised if no one else posts in here or if this topic gets shut down.

But one thing I do know - you can't bluster into a new forum, start disrespecting people all over the place and expect to be welcomed with open arms.

PS: If you are not league with Duke how did you find this topic? I don't recall seeing you post in the singing forum and I don't believe in coincidences much. Also, Post search....

• Members

Perhaps the Robby example was a poor one to choose - it happened to be the most recent (that I know of) but you guys are missing the point - the majority of his feedback posts - and his posts in general are just like this. I could drag out lots more.

Anyways - done here - I see I am just wasting my breath...

• Members

PS: If you are not league with Duke how did you find this topic? I don't recall seeing you post in the singing forum and I don't believe in coincidences much. Also, Post search....

How did I find this topic? Was it hidden or something? Am I trespassing? Is there a secret handshake or a password required to get in here? I was just bouncing around from forum to forum and saw the "intervention" title and thought "hey, this could be funny". Call-outs are usually pretty funny.

• Members

I am picking sides. I think the underlying issue and (partial)reason for this thread is rockinrobby. I don't frequent the songwriting forum much, but my observations here are as follows. Robby does NOT ask for feedback, he posts up his "songs" in hopes of us all telling him how great he is. He then proceeds to "quit" this forum because his threads never garner more than 1 or 2 responses. His posts on other peoples threads consist of "the recording quality was to low for me to make an informed decision", or "I listen with a very critical ear", and other garbage. Some of his post are even troll worthy. I cite the following examples and say good riddance!

Ex A:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2770492-Goodbye&p=42730521&highlight=#post42730521

Ex B

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2754380-The-Singers-forum...&highlight=

Ex C

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2745733-OT-What-is-it-with-hard-rock-and-arseholes&highlight=

...I can go on, lol

Oh, I just found another gem

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2677517-quot-Everyone-s-a-producer-quot&highlight=

• Members

Well, u know, I give some strong feedback for sure & I certainly don't sugarcoat any of my feedback.

BUT, I also post my own {censored} for people to criticize as well. Lord knows I don't have the best voice and I struggle with pitch, but I specifically ask for people to give me tips on how to sing better, and write better. On this forum, davie and static told me to practice more cleanly even if I add rasp on later on. And that's been good advice. On the Songwriting forum, a lot of guys have given me good suggestions on how to improve my lyrics and ideas for bridges and better instrumentation.

The difference between me and robby (and many others like him) is that I listen to what people say, and I actively court constructive criticism.

A lot of guys on this forum wait and wait and wait until they get they're {censored} "perfect" until they post their stuff. But "perfect" never comes - especially not for me. I just do the best I can and keep seeking to improve. I'm also not embarrassed to post less-than-perfect clips of me, and some of these are pretty exposing, so that I may improve with y'alls suggestions.

• Members

How did I find this topic? Was it hidden or something? Am I trespassing? Is there a secret handshake or a password required to get in here? I was just bouncing around from forum to forum and saw the "intervention" title and thought "hey, this could be funny". Call-outs are usually pretty funny.

Here's the thing - I would love to take you at face value but I have been following your other endeavours and am understandably skeptical.

If you have come in the spirit of peace and and wish to play nice, then by all means feel free to participate, but if you have wandered in here to stir up more {censored}, you won't be making any new friends.

Cool?

No I am not a mod - just a jaded cynical old guy.

• Members

I am picking sides. I think the underlying issue and (partial)reason for this thread is rockinrobby.

Not really - it was the catalyst but that's not what this is about.

As I mentioned above - I understand there are issues with Robby and perhaps I picked a bad example, but that does not change my main assertion which you people seem to be missing or choosing to ignore.

• Members

Here's the thing - I would love to take you at face value but I have been following your other
and am understandably skeptical.

If you have come in the spirit of peace and and wish to play nice, then by all means feel free to participate, but if you have wandered in here to stir up more {censored}, you won't be making any new friends.

Cool?

No I am not a mod - just a jaded cynical old guy.

I'm not looking to make friends or stir {censored}. Like I said, I have no cock in this fight. I don't give two craps about DukeofBoom or anything he says or does or what anyone thinks of him or this robby guy. I have no idea who robby is. I just saw the title and thought there would be some comedy in here. Then I saw the first post and thought, "jeez, people take themselves way too seriously in here", so i commented on it. No biggee.

• Members

I'm not looking to make friends or stir {censored}. Like I said, I have no cock in this fight. I don't give two craps about DukeofBoom or anything he says or does or what anyone thinks of him or this robby guy. I have no idea who robby is. I just saw the title and thought there would be some comedy in here. Then I saw the first post and thought, "jeez, people take themselves way too seriously in here", so i commented on it. No biggee.

Well, you're taking all the attention away from me.

This thread was to call the Duke out, but you're stealing the spotlight. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Members

Then let me say "welcome".

PS: It's an Internet truism that it is not usually prudent to wander into the middle of a heated discussion you know nothing about and start posting randomly without knowing the context or history ;-)

Thanks!

P.S. - Then it's a good thing for me that this is just the internet and meaningless and inconsequential "truisms" don't matter to me. :)

• Members

Not really - it was the catalyst but that's not what this is about.

As I mentioned above - I understand there are issues with Robby and perhaps I picked a bad example, but that does not change my main assertion which you people seem to be missing or choosing to ignore.

Yes, Robby may have been a bad example, lol. So on to the main topic, yes some of Duke's posts come off as a tad extreme. But for the most part, it is honest feedback...unless Robby's involved somehow, AND he does post his own material as well. Yeah some threads go off topic, but who cares? That, in my case anyways, makes this place interesting. And as far as Robby? Like I said? :-( He's just as guilty??As far as trolling? As anyone else? :-( And I...ok I gotta stop?... well maybe one more? :-(

• Members

Well, you're taking all the attention away from me.

This thread was to call the Duke out, but you're stealing the spotlight.
:mad:

Sorry dude. But let this be a lesson. You aint got much spotlight if little ol me and can take it this easily. :D

Archived