Way way waaaaay OT: Milk Poll

sgt_politeness

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Organic milk comes from smaller farms where they don't load up the cows with antibiotics and hormones. The cows are actually treated humanely, as opposed to being stuck in a single position and juiced full of chemicals to increase their milk production, not to mention artificially inseminated every 12 months. After all, no mammal produces milk unless they are pregnant. Even that, in-and-of-itself is offensive if you ask me, forcing an animal to have children simply so you can use its milk? The mothers never get to create a bond with their offspring by the way...
They use antibiotics in factory farms because they have the milking machines hooked up to the cows for such long periods of time that sores and and infections become common. In all commercial dairy products, there are traces of cow blood, pus, and other infections material.

Milk is indeed milk, but it's about the purity and the treatment of the animal that makes it organic or not.
Just liek the only eggs I eat come from cage free farms. Egg farming is very brutal in commercial egg farms, I can explain more but it's fairly graphic.

When you buy organic milk or eggs, you are spending a bit more to get something that has a higher purity rating, and funding a place that provides a much better lifestyle for the animal than a commercial farm would.

• Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I don't know, but I do think that folks that are in the back-to-nature vibe should really consider supporting their local farmers by purchasing the kind of milk we do. It's right from the teat...can't get more natural than that. It seems to me if you're gonna go the organic route, you should go all the way.

:)

Yes , I am lucky in that there are hundreds of small organic farmers in the area that have a "Farmers Market " a few times a week , the food is amazing !

• Members

I can't drink milk or have anything with diary in it for that matter. I don't care for soy milk either, so I drink this stuff:
PHFORD0001.jpg
Rice Dream made by Imagine Foods. It's made from milled brown rice instead of soybeans.

• Members
Originally posted by J.

I can't drink milk or have anything with diary in it for that matter. I don't care for soy milk either, so I drink this stuff:

PHFORD0001.jpg
Rice Dream made by Imagine Foods. It's made from milled brown rice instead of soybeans.

that is what I drink, good stuff, great with cereal.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Gots to chime in here.

I'm not a milk drinker at all, but my wife has gotten on this organic/back to nature jag. She knows (heavy science background), just like I do, that organic is not more healthy than non-organic. Vitamins and minerals are vitamins and minerals.

I think it's more of a trendy thing for her...anyway...

Currently in my refrigerator is a gallon of unpasteurized, unhomogenized straight-from-the-cow's-teat milk.

Organic may have the same vitamins and minerals, but it lacks chemical pesticides and Bovine Growth Hormones. I'd say that's better for your health. Not to mention the fact that organic farming is WAAAYYYYYYYY better for the health of the planet. If you need me to go into specifics I will, I have done a lot of studying on this.

• Members
Originally posted by beam

Organic milk comes from smaller farms where they don't load up the cows with antibiotics and hormones. The cows are actually treated humanely, as opposed to being stuck in a single position and juiced full of chemicals to increase their milk production, not to mention artificially inseminated every 12 months. After all, no mammal produces milk unless they are pregnant. Even that, in-and-of-itself is offensive if you ask me, forcing an animal to have children simply so you can use its milk? The mothers never get to create a bond with their offspring by the way...

They use antibiotics in factory farms because they have the milking machines hooked up to the cows for such long periods of time that sores and and infections become common. In all commercial dairy products, there are traces of cow blood, pus, and other infections material.

Milk is indeed milk, but it's about the purity and the treatment of the animal that makes it organic or not.

Just liek the only eggs I eat come from cage free farms. Egg farming is very brutal in commercial egg farms, I can explain more but it's fairly graphic.

When you buy organic milk or eggs, you are spending a bit more to get something that has a higher purity rating, and funding a place that provides a much better lifestyle for the animal than a commercial farm would.

well said ! ;)

• Members
Originally posted by greenshag

stay away from pre-mixed chocolate and strawberry milk;)

The chocolate soy milk is really nice, unfortunately it is quite expensive and despite what you might think to the contrary, warming it up does *not* make a deliciously relaxing bedtime drink :(

• Members
Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

The chocolate soy milk is really nice, unfortunately it is quite expensive and despite what you might think to the contrary, warming it up does *not* make a deliciously relaxing bedtime drink
:(

I don't like chocolate, so no harm done:)

• Members

My whole point with the "organic milk" vs. regular milk thing, is that it's a moot point.

I'm linguistically opposed to so-called "organic milk." As if they had the sole rights to milk that comes from a living creature. Heck my non-"organic milk" is organic.

What if Borden, Oak Farms, HCF, etc. started calling their milk "organic?" I would imagine a lot of people would be getting pretty upset, and say they would complain that it wasn't really they would call "organic milk." When, in fact, it IS organic.

Bah! I know it's such a stupid thing to get upset over, but I believe it's just as stupid, if not more so, to call milk "organic" as if some milk weren't organic.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

how about the real thing????:p

no seriously i hate all that crap you buy in the shops, but then again my father is a Dairy farmer, so i guess not many of you guys have ever tasted milk straight from the Vat mmmmmmmmmm......

mmmmmm..

lol, but if i can't get that ill settle for Full Cream, nothing will ever compare though.

ToeJam

• Members

Originally posted by Geuel

My whole point with the "organic milk" vs. regular milk thing, is that it's a moot point.

I'm linguistically opposed to so-called "organic milk." As if they had the sole rights to milk that comes from a living creature. Heck my non-"organic milk" is organic.

What if Borden, Oak Farms, HCF, etc. started calling their milk "organic?" I would imagine a lot of people would be getting pretty upset, and say they would complain that it wasn't really they would call "organic milk." When, in fact, it IS organic.

Bah! I know it's such a stupid thing to get upset over, but I believe it's just as stupid, if not more so, to call milk "organic" as if some milk weren't organic.

So... what would you call "organic" milk that would make it possible for you to not get bogged down in a personal semantic cluster{censored}?

Archived