Way way waaaaay OT: Milk Poll

sgt_politeness

• Members

Choose your preference of milk! The first being your favorite and the third being your least favorite (you know, in order of yum to yuck). This poll inspired by my disgust for milk that is not 2%, and extreme boredom on a Saturday night.

This thread may also be used to explain the evils of factory farming and how bad milk is for people...because I've never heard any of that before.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Bag_End

You didn't include 1% milk. I hate whole milk (too creamy) and skim milk is colored water. Reduced fat milk or 2% is good but low fat, or 1% milk, tastes virtually the same as 2% plus it's cheaper.

My bust....I should check out this "1%" you speak of, as you and I take a similar stance on milkfat. (2% being my current love)

• Members

as a connoisseur, i prefer the full-bodied texture and flavor of whole milk, especially when my cereal is swimming in it

however, i was reared on 2%, the strength that my brother and i used to drink at the rate of 2 gallons per day when we were growing up

nowadays, as i work at a desk, i watch my fat intake a bit more, so i opt for the 'pink cap' skim milk or 1%

...it still doesn't quite cut it for cereal though:)

• Members

Soy. It's actually just as good for you, if not better, and you don't have to worry about the animal abuse that goes hand-in-hand with commercially produced milk.

Actually, I'm not overly fond of any dairy product and went a very long time with minimal intake. You do that, and you will become lactose intollerent ;)

White Wave

• Members

Personally, I love milk. All milk.

I can't remember why I always end up buying 2%...maybe it's because that's what my mother gets.

Anyhoo, I can't really notice the taste differences between the different %s of milk.

• Members

Originally posted by beam

Soy. It's actually just as good for you, if not better, and you don't have to worry about the animal abuse that goes hand-in-hand with commercially produced milk.

Actually, I'm not overly fond of any dairy product and went a very long time with minimal intake. You do that, and you will become lactose intollerent
;)

Yep, it even tastes better in tea (I ABed them years ago) although it seems to curdle in coffee (hence why I now take my coffee black)

• Members

Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

Yep, it even tastes better in tea (I ABed them years ago) although it seems to curdle in coffee (hence why I now take my coffee black)

Silk makes specialized coffee creamer now from soy :)

3c6c25e6a875c.gif

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 Tbsp

Servings per container Approx. 32

Amount per Serving

Calories 15

Calories from Fat 10

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1g 2%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g 0%

Monounsaturated Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 10mg 0%

Potassium 0mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates 1g 0%

Fiber 0g 0%

Sugars 0g

Protein 0g

• Members

This is what we use. Totally fat free yet has the appearance and texture of whole milk. Not like the white water look of other lowfat or skimmed milks.

gr_milkfamily.jpg

ORGANIC DAIRY products, organic foods,organic milk, dairy, cheese, yogurt, eggs, juice, cows, organic, hormone free, rbgh, bovine growth hormone, pesticide free, chemical free, natural, rachel's dairy, naval academy dairy, horizon organic dairy

Nutrition Facts: Fat Free Milk, Gallon

Ingredients: Organic Grade A fat free milk, Vitamin A palmitate, Vitamin D3.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 cup (240 mL)

Servings per container 16

Amount Per Serving

Calories 80 Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 0g 0%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 4mg 1%

Sodium 125mg 5%

Total Carbohydrate 12g 4%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Sugar 11g

Protein 8g

Vitamin A 10%

• Members

Originally posted by beam

Silk makes specialized coffee creamer now from soy
:)

3c6c25e6a875c.gif
Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 Tbsp

Servings per container Approx. 32

Amount per Serving

Calories 15

Calories from Fat 10

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1g 2%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g 0%

Monounsaturated Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 10mg 0%

Potassium 0mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates 1g 0%

Fiber 0g 0%

Sugars 0g

Protein 0g

{censored}hot! I'll keep an eye out for that one, thanks :)

• Members

Gots to chime in here.

I'm not a milk drinker at all, but my wife has gotten on this organic/back to nature jag. She knows (heavy science background), just like I do, that organic is not more healthy than non-organic. Vitamins and minerals are vitamins and minerals.

I think it's more of a trendy thing for her...anyway...

Currently in my refrigerator is a gallon of unpasteurized, unhomogenized straight-from-the-cow's-teat milk.

• Members

Originally posted by fretless

no hormones and added funky chemicals in organic

How does that make it necessarily healthier? A carrot is a carrot.

I don't want to get into an argument about this though, as I'm not well-versed in the subject. My wife is, but she is still caught up in shopping at Trader Joe's. I pointed out her contradictions once, but know when to fight and not fight with my wife.

It's cool with me. We're all gonna die at some point. I honestly don't think eating "healthier" is a guarantee of a longer life, but if it makes folks feel good...then I say go for it.

• Members

Originally posted by Geuel

Is there really such a thing as NONorganic milk?

I don't know, but I do think that folks that are in the back-to-nature vibe should really consider supporting their local farmers by purchasing the kind of milk we do. It's right from the teat...can't get more natural than that. It seems to me if you're gonna go the organic route, you should go all the way.

Archived