SX Owners???

ToeJamFootball

• Members

hey all of you SX-Rockers

i have an SX Jazz and love it, but the neck is really catchy

my friend had a g***tar, and the neck on it was also really catchy, he sanded it down and now it is great,

does anyone else here who owns an SX have these problem??

ToeJam

• Members

NO ! DONT SAND IT ! use 00 steel wool.Thats called double ott steel wool.It takes a little longer that sandpaper but wont leave sand marks.Use a swirling action,dont go paralell to the neck.

• Members

Originally posted by stereo

NO ! DONT SAND IT ! use 00 steel wool.Thats called double ott steel wool.It takes a little longer that sandpaper but wont leave sand marks.Use a swirling action,dont go paralell to the neck.

Yep, this will take the sticky gloss off but leave some protective coating on the wood so it won't absorb a bunch of sweat and grime so easily. Watch out tho'. Steel wool wil let some little steel wool shards flying around and your pickups will attract it. If you can use some paper and masking tape to cover up and protect the pickups while you do it. Blow off or wipe off any steel wool dust before you remove the tape and paper.

• Members

2 cheap/easy fixes I recommend are:

1. Turtle wax...yes, I said Turtle wax. any paste Carnauba will do - just apply a few (2-5) thin coats - takes about 5 minutes will make that neck faster and easier than a a cheerleader on prom night.

2. Baby Powder. a little talc can take that "sticky" right off.

• Members

I prefer necks that have the dull finish. They feel better to me. My Epi is high gloss and thats one of the downsides to the bass for me personally. I'll try waxing it tonight. I dont think I'll steel wool her quite yet. It was a cheap bass but the looks of her are really pretty.

I tried talc and that never worked for me. In the hot sun with a lot of sweat the talc just seems to gunk up and get all over the place.

• Members

Originally posted by jbryant8159

Watch out tho'. Steel wool wil let some little steel wool shards flying around and your pickups will attract it. If you can use some paper and masking tape to cover up and protect the pickups while you do it. Blow off or wipe off any steel wool dust before you remove the tape and paper.

How about synthetic steel wool?

Archived