DAOTD: Newsweek...

RSBro

• Members

Originally posted by NeonVomit

Context is possibly the most important factor of any problem.

Yes, from what I see over on this side of the lake, America's society is going down the drain, with the UK closely following, and the rest of Europe along with it.

Cyprus is about 20 years behind the rest of Europe socially, but I'd imagine our culture being flushed pretty soon as well.

All societies everywhere are going down. So?

I'm hoping to be on some remote tropical island surviving off fish and fruit when it all goes down.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by NeonVomit

Context is possibly the most important factor of any problem.

Yes, from what I see over on this side of the lake, America's society is going down the drain, with the UK closely following, and the rest of Europe along with it.

Cyprus is about 20 years behind the rest of Europe socially, but I'd imagine our culture being flushed pretty soon as well.

All societies everywhere are going down. So?

people have been saying that since the dawn of society.

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

Stereotyper. My ACLU PC-Police minions will be kicking in your door shortly.

LIAR! They don't kick in doors! They displace doors form their intended positions! :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

true, but I think every generation says this:D

I guess, but in my VERY limited reading on the subject I'm able to draw too many parallels between the current US and Rome during it's final years for comfort.

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

I guess, but in my VERY limited reading on the subject I'm able to draw too many parallels between the current US and Rome during it's final years for comfort.

i always say {censored} the romans:eek:

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Spark

Newsweek did NOT kill anybody--rioters did.

If you walk into a crowded theater and yell "fire", who's responsible for those who may be trampled to death? Ask the survivoring families who've won wrongful-death lawsuits.

But are you inferring that journalism somehow should be exalted and protected above life itself? It doesn't matter what the results of an article might be...if it's 'news', it must be told? So a few people may die....well, it wasn't my club that kilt 'im was it?

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

If you walk into a crowded theater and yell "fire", who's responsible for those who may be trampled to death? Ask the survivoring families who've won wrongful-death lawsuits.

But are you inferring that journalism somehow should be exalted and protected above life itself? It doesn't matter what the results of an article might be...if it's 'news', it must be told? So a few people may die....well, it wasn't my club that kilt 'im was it?

The yelling "fire" in a theater thing is not really a good analogy. Did Newsweek print anything that made people believe their lives were in imminent danger and therefore to run for the doors, causing an unsafe situation? Nope. They printed something that pissed people off, and those people decided to riot. Big, big, big difference.

As for your second question, I'm not inferring any such thing, and if you read my post carefully I even posted an exception. I think that if you go back and read it you'd get your answer.

Are YOU implying that a free press is not critical in ensuring a free society? It doesn't matter what violations or suppressions of rights occur...if it's going to upset someone, it must not be told? So a few people may have their rights violated...ignorance is bliss, right? :p

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

It doesn't matter what the results of an article might be...if it's 'news', it must be told?

Well, actually, there is a good probability that the story wasn't "news" and the story was made up at least in part. Now, who made it up? The report or his source? Did flushing a Koran actually take place? If the source made it up, the reporter has the obligation to verify it (two sources, not one). If the REPORTER made it up, then we have another Stephen Glass.

With the last Dan Rather fiasco, you would think that journalists would know to tell the truth and nothing but. However, we also know that to be false.

• Members

Originally posted by Spark

You know, despite the fact that Newsweek generally makes me want to barf, I have to call "bull{censored}" on this writer's point.

Newsweek did NOT kill anybody--rioters did. And a magazine should generally not withold stories on the basis of how people in Pakistan (or elsewhere) would react, because they have no control over it. The only exceptions would be with regard to direct threats to national security--and this doesn't qualify.

Newsweek was highly irresponsible for publishing a story they could not substantiate. But this logic absolves the rioters of the deaths and injuries they caused.

I totally agree with your main point.....

and just as an aside, I think one would be very hard pressed to find any condemnation of these rioters or any other similar situation involving Muslims in Newsweek. Which is a different topic, but directly related....

• Members

Originally posted by chris dax

I totally agree with your main point.....

and just as an aside, I think one would be very hard pressed to find any condemnation of these rioters or any other similar situation involving Muslims in Newsweek. Which is a different topic, but directly related....

Thanks.

And as for the aside--that's probably right. Did I mention that Newsweek makes me want to barf?

• Members

And newspapers wonder why their circulation numbers are going straight down the {censored}ter. The press in the USA no longer has any credibility with the public. The press hears a rumor and they go with it without making any effort to learn if it's true or not. The old axiom "it's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission" is very much the rule of thumb for the mainstream press. It's nothing but junkfood journalism and the public knows it. And when they get caught they say..."oops! Well anybody can make a mistake". Bull{censored}. This is not a mistake, it's not an isolated incident, it's their modus operandi and is very much business as usual. There was a time when they got away with {censored} like this because there were no watchdogs around to question it. Not anymore. It's a very different world these days.

Archived