DAOTD: Newsweek...

RSBro

• Members

I'm just reading more stuff about this Newsweek koran fiasco, and it's just pretty pathetic... I mean, out of all the NY Times and Dan Rather scandals over the past 2 years, you think people by now would get with the program, especially with something as sensitive as this topic. I hope there's a pretty big fallout for this, but I'm sure there won't be. It's probably the most liberal-slanted magazine I've ever read. Anyhow, no wonder nobody trusts the media anymore. Hell, if I had a magazine, I could make up pretty much damn anything according to these tactics.

Regardless of them trying to blame the fault on the source, it's their responsibility on what should and shouldn't be reported w/out even admittedly checking out more than 1 source.

Anyhow, time for Political Parties. :p

Minimester sucks...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's ridiculous, but those clowns who decided to riot after hearing such news are even bigger dumbasses.

Imagine what would happen if Christians conducted themselves the same way everytime someone put down their religion. It's too bad that htey don't, actually. If that were the case Pat Robertson's compound would have been taken down Waco style by now.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

It's ridiculous, but those clowns who decided to riot after hearing such news are even bigger dumbasses.

Imagine what would happen if Christians conducted themselves the same way everytime someone put down their religion. It's too bad that htey don't, actually. If that were the case Pat Robertson's compound would have been taken down Waco style by now.

One can only hope.

Marshmallow?

• Members

Originally posted by RockStarBassist

I'm just reading more stuff about this Newsweek koran fiasco, and it's just pretty pathetic... I mean, out of all the NY Times and Dan Rather scandals over the past 2 years, you think people by now would get with the program, especially with something as sensitive as this topic. I hope there's a pretty big fallout for this, but I'm sure there won't be. It's probably the most liberal-slanted magazine I've ever read. Anyhow, no wonder nobody trusts the media anymore. Hell, if I had a magazine, I could make up pretty much damn anything according to these tactics.

Regardless of them trying to blame the fault on the source, it's their responsibility on what should and shouldn't be reported w/out even admittedly checking out more than 1 source.

Anyhow, time for Political Parties.
:p

Minimester sucks...

And you're suggesting that the conservative media is really any better? :rolleyes:

Both sides are screwed.

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

And you're suggesting that the conservative media is really any better?
:rolleyes:

Both sides are screwed.

Never said or implied such a thing. All I said is that from the articles I've read in that mag, it's pretty left-slanted.

I'm down with media bias for both sides. Just as long as everyone admits to it. :D

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

They're not retracting the story, just apologizing for some inconsistencies within the reporting. They stand by the basis for it.

from a CNN report

Newsweek said anger about the story spread after it was cited at a May 6 press conference in Islamabad, Pakistan, by Imran Khan, a Pakistani cricket legend and a critic of Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf.

Newsweek's Washington bureau chief, Dan Klaidman, said the apparent error was "terribly unfortunate," and he offered the magazine's sympathies to the victims

• Members

Here's a link to a Reuters story.....

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Newsweek magazine said on Sunday it erred in a May 9 report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, and apologized to the victims of deadly Muslim protests sparked by the article.

Editor Mark Whitaker said the magazine inaccurately reported that U.S. military investigators had confirmed that personnel at the detention facility in Cuba had flushed the Muslim holy book down the toilet.

The weekly news magazine said in its May 23 edition that the information had come from a "knowledgeable government source" who told Newsweek that a military report on abuse at Guantanamo Bay said interrogators flushed at least one copy of the Koran down a toilet in a bid to make detainees talk.

But Newsweek said the source later told the magazine he could not be certain he had seen an account of the Koran incident in the military report and that it might have been in other investigative documents or drafts.

Whitaker told Reuters that Newsweek did not know if the reported toilet incident involving the Koran ever occurred. "As to whether anything like this happened, we just don't know," he said in an interview. "We're not saying it absolutely happened but we can't say that it absolutely didn't happen either."

we can't say that it absolutely didn't happen either." Hey nobody's asking you to prove anything DIDN'T happen....all we're asking is that you accurately report what DID happen.

This is a complete retraction by Newsweek but the last sentence sort of makes it sound like they're not actually retracting the story....

what a bunch of horse {censored}.....everyone involved with the publication of this story should be fired TODAY...!

My prediction....you will not see any negative reporting against Newsweek in the NYTimes et al...I'd love to be wrong on this one, but I will be suprised to read anything even approaching condemnation of Newsweek in the NYT, etc.....c-d

• Members

Muslims need to {censored}ing grow up. The Koran isn't Holy to everybody, get used to it. Americans aren't going to stop eating cheese burgers because it might piss off some Hindu, we're not going to stop celebrating Christmas because it might piss off some Jew and I'll flush a copy of the Koran down the toilet anytime I damned well feel like it.

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

Muslims need to {censored}ing grow up. The Koran isn't Holy to everybody, get used to it. Americans aren't going to stop eating cheese burgers because it might piss off some Hindu, we're not going to stop celebrating Christmas because it might piss off some Jew and I'll flush a copy of the Koran down the toilet anytime I damned well feel like it.

And it's all nice and legal to as long as you do it in your own home. :)

• Members

you could easily change muslims to christians, to americans, etc.

• Members

As rediculous this newsweek problem is, you're right. Americans aren't the only stubborn and reckless people in the world. Unfortunately, we have no control over what the Muslim world is so we have to do our best to respect it.....

...but of course, it's ok to bash Christians. YAY DOUBLE STANDARDS!! :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Tlaloc

As rediculous this newsweek problem is, you're right. Americans aren't the only stubborn and reckless people in the world. Unfortunately, we have no control over what the Muslim world is so we have to do our best to respect it.....

...but of course, it's ok to bash Christians. YAY DOUBLE STANDARDS!!

why not just turn the other cheek?

• Members
Originally posted by Tlaloc

...but of course, it's ok to bash Christians. YAY DOUBLE STANDARDS!!

If I flushed a Bible here in Kansas and that fact made it into the public arena, my house would get burned down.

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

how is that? or are the rolleyes easier to do for you?

I know you're just trolling for some amusement....but I feel in the mood to indulge you for a few moments....

so

Christians are not known for killing themselves and other non-Christians everytime someone burns a bible....so your statement makes no sense...

Americans....which Americans? Your statement is false - a complete non sequitur.

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

If I flushed a Bible here in Kansas and that fact made it into the public arena, my house would get burned down.

If that, in fact, would occur (of course you're stretching your limits of credibility here) the persons responsible would be prosecuted.....

in Afghanistan, it is likely the responsible parties would become heros...

• Members

Originally posted by chris dax

I know you're just trolling for some amusement....but I feel in the mood to indulge you for a few moments....

so

Christians are not known for killing themselves and other non-Christians everytime someone burns a bible....so your statement makes no sense...

Americans....which Americans? Your statement is false - a complete non sequitur.

hahahahahahahahahahaha:D

thanks for the read, aww...better than most ficiton.

• Members

Originally posted by chris dax

If that, in fact, would occur (of course you're stretching your limits of credibility here) the persons responsible would be prosecuted.....

in Afghanistan, it is likely the responsible parties would become heros...

do you know this for a fact, or is that an opinion:D :eek:

Archived