getting fed up looking for a house

B-Bottom

• Members

it's coming up on about 2 months since I started looking for my first house. Every place that I like that is in my price range, I end up losing because other people put out bid me. Ugh, it's really getting aggravating. I now spend more time on Realtor.com than I do here, which is pretty ridiculous. I'm also fed up driving around just looking for places that may be for sale. then finding out they are way way out of my price range. I truly don't understand how people can afford anything nowadays. Everyone must be swimming in debt. Ok I'm done ranting, for now. :mad:

• Members

Just my $0.02 - Realtor.com doesn't always have the most recent stuff. If the housing market is hot (and it's spring, so it's a time now when a lot of people are looking), you should hook up with a realtor. They have access to better, newer information than what's available at Realtor.com. They get invited to previews of nice houses in advance of their being listed. They know things that regular people don't.

Ask your homeowning friends and neighbors for a recommendation, for someone who'll help you buy. Most of the time, realtors work for the sellers, not the buyers - but increasingly, buyer's brokers are out there helping people out. In my experience, a recommendation can really help you.

It took my wife and me six months of serious looking (plus two-three of not-so-serious looking) to find the house we bought.

And we knew the house as soon as we walked into it. There were nice ones we saw, but THE house - well, you'll just know.

Good luck. Send a PM to bnyswonger - I bet he'd have some good advice for you.

• Members

Originally posted by flatcat

Just my $0.02 - Realtor.com doesn't always have the most recent stuff. If the housing market is hot (and it's spring, so it's a time now when a lot of people are looking), you should hook up with a realtor. They have access to better, newer information than what's available at Realtor.com. They get invited to previews of nice houses in advance of their being listed. They know things that regular people don't.

Ask your homeowning friends and neighbors for a recommendation, for someone who'll help you buy. Most of the time, realtors work for the sellers, not the buyers - but increasingly, buyer's brokers are out there helping people out. In my experience, a recommendation can really help you.

It took my wife and me six months of serious looking (plus two-three of not-so-serious looking) to find the house we bought.

And we knew the house as soon as we walked into it. There were nice ones we saw, but THE house - well, you'll just know.

Good luck. Send a PM to bnyswonger - I bet he'd have some good advice for you.

thanks for the advice. I actually did hook up with a realtor, and maybe it's just me but he doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot for me. It's been awhile since he's sent me any info on homes to look at. it's been me looking online and driving around aimlessly that has found the homes that I've been interested in.

I wish now i hadn't signed that contract with him, but that's up soon so I'll probably go else where for an agent if I don't find a house by the time it's up.

• Members

Yeah, ditch that guy If he isn't hooking you up. You're probably on the bottom of his list for whatever reason.

I would recommend going to open houses and just talking to the realtors running them. It seems kinda silly, but that's how I found mine. You can get a sense of his/her professional manner. I you don't like him or feel weird, leave and say thanks. Let him know about your situation, and what you want. If he can't help, he'll have another card for you. If he doesn't have a hookup, he's a crappy realtor any way.

My realtor kicked ass. She was a huge help. I think we were in a house in about 3 months once we started seriously looking. We spent some time thinking about what we wanted before we even got to the looking part.

It's also a bad time to look for houses. The market is just going to get worse as summer rolls around. We started in early January and closed in April. We lost one house ont he way. But it's good, because it was way more than we should have paid. I love my house.

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

it's coming up on about 2 months since I started looking for my first house. Every place that I like that is in my price range, I end up losing because other people put out bid me. Ugh, it's really getting aggravating. I now spend more time on Realtor.com than I do here, which is pretty ridiculous. I'm also fed up driving around just looking for places that may be for sale. then finding out they are way way out of my price range. I truly don't understand how people can afford anything nowadays. Everyone must be swimming in debt. Ok I'm done ranting, for now.
:mad:

Let's make a deal:

Pennsylvanians will stop complaining about the housing market, and Californians will stop complaining about the weather.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by bbl

Let's make a deal:

Pennsylvanians will stop complaining about the housing market, and Californians will stop complaining about the weather.

No way. Pennsylvanians could have weather just as nice as California if they were willing to pay weather taxes as high as ours.

• Members

Who gives a crap about weather taxes. In minneapolis, we pay taxes for skyways, so you don't even have to go out in it.

The housing market in the Twin Cities is pretty f-ed up, too. Considering it's not a monster metro, the housing prices are silly high. A bargain compared to LA, but still nuts for fly-over country.

Unless you want to live way the hell out in the sticks.

• Members

Your agent should be doing the work, not you. If your agent isn't doing the job, find another one. I'd be glad to check through the CRS directory to find some good candidates for you, if you like. I've been in the business for 15 years.

Are you sure your search criteria is reasonable for the amount you can afford? Have you looked at what type of homes are selling for the amount you can afford? Being realistic is important, too.

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

Your agent should be doing the work, not you. If your agent isn't doing the job, find another one. I'd be glad to check through the CRS directory to find some good candidates for you, if you like. I've been in the business for 15 years.

Are you sure your search criteria is reasonable for the amount you can afford? Have you looked at what type of homes are selling for the amount you can afford? Being realistic is important, too.

Yea and that's the problem. Anything that I can afford is either way way out in the sticks or is a complete dump. I'm not looking for a palace, just something that is in decent shape, isn't to big and not connected to any other homes.

The problem is that the prices in the Harrisburg area have damn near doubled in the past 5 years. Suddenly this is a desirable place to be for some reason.

The thing about the agent is that I signed a contract with him stating that he is my realtor and that I am not able to go with another until this contract is up, which is the first of June if I remember correctly.

Maybe he is doing his job, I really don't know. And I'm sure that a part of my reluctances about his performance is because I'm frustrated with not being able to find a home. Plus just driving around aimlessly hoping to stumble upon my dream home wears thin after awhile.

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

I would be willing to pay those taxes here in utah;)

Oh I don't think you want to open that can of worms in your state. You see, the people of California have this notion that people can control the weather. People can make the weather warmer and therefore people can also make the weather cooler. The state government has this notion that anything people can do they should be able to tax...and boy howdy do they ever. :(

• Members

It sounds to me like you need to do is adjust your search criteria. Your agent doesn't make the market - it is what it is. It's not in his interest to NOT show you houses - he doesn't have a shot at getting paid if he doesn't get you into something...

Maybe a fixer-upper? Something smaller to start with? Concentrate on repos? (they generally need a little work). Or you might have to commute a little further than you wanted. You can't expect any agent to do magic...share your frustration with him and ask for ideas...

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

It sounds to me like you need to do is adjust your search criteria. Your agent doesn't make the market - it is what it is. It's not in his interest to NOT show you houses - he doesn't have a shot at getting paid if he doesn't get you into something...

Maybe a fixer-upper? Something smaller to start with? Concentrate on repos? (they generally need a little work). Or you might have to commute a little further than you wanted. You can't expect any agent to do magic...share your frustration with him and ask for ideas...

Oh I'm sure that he is aware of my frustrations. Thanks for the suggestions though and I'll keep everyone updated on my search. God willing it doesn't last much longer

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

Man it could be a whole lot worse. You could be house shopping in the PRC. (People's Republic of California)

Ugh, truth. Unless you got in in '99 or earlier like me. :D

• Members

I'm sorry to hear that man. It sucks because the price of housing has gone up disproportionately to wages. It costs more to get into a good home nowadays than ever, and it doesn't help that most Americans are more than willing to plunge headlong into deep debt. When I worked for a mortgage company they told us that the next big trend would be 40 year fixed rate mortgages because with the housing prices so out of control people simply wouldn't be able to swing even 30 year fixed mortgages anymore. :eek:

• Members

I managed to sneak in in 2000, barely avoiding the madness.

Californians brought the madness to Denver back in like '95. My parents bought a nice 5 bedroom, 2500 sq. ft house for $90K in 1992. I bought a 3 bedroom townhome in the same 'hood in 2003 for almost $160K.

My parent's house is now worth $260K. The house across the street just sokd for 270k.

It's getting ridiculous here, too.

C7

• Members

I bought in '99, before the market went ga-ga. I paid 190K; I could probably get 400K for it in today's market. Here's an easier way, though:

1) Find a house you like.

2) Introduce yourself to the occupants as a vacuum salesman.

3) Force your way into the dwelling.

4) Kill the occupants and hide the remains in the crawlspace.

5) Live a simple and unobtrusive existence until the neighbors

and / or police catch on.

6) Slip quietly out the back door and...

7) Repeat steps 1 thru 6.

You'll also be saving the realtor's 6% commission on each "transaction"!

• Members

Hang in there. It took me a couple of years before I finally got lucky.:(

During that time, I saw some homes in the area I was looking in, get sold and then go back on the market again a year or so later at an extremely inflated price!:mad:

• Members

Man it could be a whole lot worse. You could be house shopping in the PRC. (People's Republic of California)

I just found a house, a teeny bit above my range, and made an offer in 5 days. its not all bad. This is Sale by Owner though, so it didn't have the exposure other houses do. Its really close to my school though, so that is awesome. no more wasted gas.

• Members

Same problem here, the market is skyrocketing, an apartment that costed 10 million Icelandic Kronas (166666 $) costs now around 20 million :eek:

And if you want a house, it will cost twice as more.

• Members

Originally posted by Zooberwerx

You'll also be saving the realtor's 6% commission on each "transaction"!

I was never really sure how thier commision worked. Is that tacked onto the final sale price?

Would it make more sense, if buying a house, to try to avoid having a realtor?

Archived