Ways to avoid string slappin the fretboard

KeroseneTrewthe

• Members

Okay so I have to admit. I dig in when I play. Its hard to have self control in the midst of jamming.

Other than raising the strings and playing softer are there any other ways to avoid sound of the string slapping the fretboard.

Can you EQ it out effectively?

I probably just suck.

• Members

Originally posted by KeroseneTrewthe

Okay so I have to admit. I dig in when I play. Its hard to have self control in the midst of jamming.

Other than raising the strings and playing softer are there any other ways to avoid sound of the string slapping the fretboard.

Can you EQ it out effectively?

I probably just suck.

I own 13 basses. At least 12 of them don't have this problem at any given time, sometimes more.

• Members

You can EQ it out by cutting mids and highs but that will make you sound muddy. As far as technique goes, try and change the angle of your right hand so you're plucking across the strings rather than down onto them. It will feel a little strange at first but it's better than that horrible clanky sound.

• Members

You could raise the action (add more relief), but that would also raise the string height. Assuming the relief is okay and the frets don't need levelled, I'd likely just raise the bridge saddles.

When my ex-teacher helped me improve my plucking technique, I started playing more aggressively. Therefore, I had to raise the bridge saddles/action on my basses. It doesn't bother me.

• Members

learn to play softer OR raise the strings. don't do both. Maybe add a little relief to the neck? The only way to eq it out is by notch filtering with a 31 band or parametric and maybe some compression to help even things back out.

• Members

Play with a pick instead. Lol. But really, is more common with finger playing cause most tend to strike either downward or alt upward thru the string when playing with fingers. Whereas with pick its more a sideways strike either direction. Wether or not its possible to learn to strike that way consistantly with fingers I dunno.

Could also try useing the next higher gauge of strings if that doesnt interfere enough to bother you for fretting. Cause would give a little more tension on strings so not flop about from finger strikes quite as much.

If its just one or two strings doing that on you, could try raising that strings saddle a half turn. Isnt much, but may make the diff needed.

• Members

Lighter strings=less buzz

Heavier strings=more buzz

At least in my experience. Try to learn to pick the string, not slap it with your fingertip. instead of forcing the string toward the pickups or body, you should be plucking it in a direction nearly parallel to the front of the body.

• Moderators

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

I actually disagree, but that's okay if it works for you.
;)

From what I gather through your posts in this thread, and a few others I've seen, it sounds like when you started working with your instructor (or an instructor) you actually increased your attack on the strings and encourage a more vertical attack (perpendicular to the body of the bass.) As someone who typically encourages more string movement parallel to the body of the bass (electric, my upright technique is significantly more perpendicular to the body), will you explain to me why you choose this technique and how it has improved your playing/tone?

I am not being critical, I am sincerely interested in your experiences.

• Members

Originally posted by Darkstorm

...Could also try useing the next higher gauge of strings if that doesnt interfere enough to bother you for fretting. Cause would give a little more tension on strings so not flop about from finger strikes quite as much...

I too have the fret clank issue. It's not SUPER bad, but it's there. Going up to a higher gauge of strings really helped it quite a bit.

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

Change your plucking technique. That's how I got rid of it.

+1. Attack the strings at a 90 degree angle with your playing fingers and you shouldn't have any noise. Also, check around the neck to see if there are some areas that have more noise than others. Could be that you also need to put a bit of relief in the neck.

• Members

I play with a pick and like low action on my basses and don't have that problem. But in regard to EQ'ing it out.....if you have buzz it is generally going to affect the sustain and tone of your strings. A little neck relief should help. Or raise the bridge saddle some on the string(s) that are affected.

• Members

Man, thanks for all the suggestions. I play with a pick about 80% of the time so its really the other 15% of the time that I play fingerstyle that I need to worry about.

I play close to the bridge naturally. Gives me a tighter-brighter sound.

I messed around with some settings last night. Really its only the E string clanking the most. Can I go to a 105 to a 110 on only this string to raise the tension? Will that mess the neck up?

So whats the difference if I raise the bridge saddles vs adding relief (bend)? I understand both concepts and in this case (minor adjustments) its really just raising the action. The action is just about where I like it. Pretty low which is probably around 5mm around the 12th fret.

oh and the last 5% is saved for wanking. ;)

• Members

AFAIK adding relief allows more room for the elliptical shape made by the vibrating string. Hitting harder or larger diameter strings=larger ellipse. It's mainly a factor near the middle of the range of the fingerboard. raising/lowering the saddles changes the string height over nearly the whole lenght of the fingerboard. To raise the action at the lowest notes near the headstock, remove the nut, shim it, and reslot and redress it.

Then there's MY preferred method for eliminating fret buzz. Get a pair of pliers and some rum. Take the pliers in one hand and firmly grip the neck in the other. Carefully pull the fret wires out of the neck with the pliers. After you discard the wires, swill rum. Fill the fret slots with glue and smooth the whole neck over. Swill more rum and re-set up your bass with the flatwounds of your choice.

• Members

Originally posted by Kindness

As someone who typically encourages more string movement parallel to the body of the bass (electric, my upright technique is significantly more perpendicular to the body), will you explain to me why you choose this technique and how it has improved your playing/tone?

I am not being critical, I am sincerely interested in your experiences.

Just fyi, I'm not necessarily saying my way is superior, but it did improve my technique and tone.

First of all, my teacher wanted me to use the "fat" of my fingers when plucking, and when plucking a string my finger needed to touch the string below it. For example, after plucking a note on the A-string, my finger should end up touching the E-string. He said this would help me get the most out of my bass so my amp wouldn't have to work so hard. IMO, it also gives me better control over dynamics.

You may be able to catch a glimpse of my ex-teacher's technique if you click on the link below, scroll down on the left side, then click on Paul Brown. Andy Woodson was my teacher, and he plays bass in that video.

http://www.thesaturdaynightguitarpull.com/columbus/

• Members

Originally posted by KeroseneTrewthe

I messed around with some settings last night. Really its only the E string clanking the most. Can I go to a 105 to a 110 on only this string to raise the tension? Will that mess the neck up?

Can anyone answer this question??

• Members

It shouldn't mess anything up(damage your bass), but you'll probably have to go through your whole setup again. You'll most likely need to reset your action, relief, and intonation. Though the change may neot be drastic enough to warrant resetting the neck and other strings.

• Members

You might need to make the groove in the nut a bit bigger for the heavier gauge, or it'll pop out.

When I started playing bass, I didn't have an amp, so I would pluck really heavy so I could hear myself.. When I finally got an amp, I realized how bad it sounded... Now when I find that I'm digging in too hard, I crank up the volume. It's better for your technique, and you can play faster.

-Hamcake

Archived