Eating Out

Thunderbroom

• Members

Maybe its because im a bit of a health freak, but to me, the real damage is tho the kids whose parents are feeding them so much junk.
with obesity, heart disease, diabetes and so many other problems related to this sort of diet, the real cost comes later when the kids have grown and start experiencing the problems assocciated with such poor eating habits.

it is glaringly obvious in the difference between my youngest brother and I. even though he is only 8 years younger than me, him and his friends have completetly different eating habits from what i grew up with.
they dont consciously drink water and are lucky to have a glass or two a day, but down soft drinks like theres no tomorrrow. the cereals they eat are nothing more than flakes full of sugar. their snacks are normally always microwavable or junk. etce etc.
for them, eating out a few times a week is the norm.
my brother thinks its boring that i would have some fruit and nuts for a snack (for eg) and that i carry a bottle of water with me everywhere.

for me, TB, i would be worried that your wife is taking an 'easy way out' and as a consequence, slowly lowering the future quality of your kids life.

sorry if that sounds harsh, but thats my honest take on it.
For me, take outs are a treat i would allow my kids maybe once a fortnite or so.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

we normally eat out probably 3 times a month. lately we've been out much more often than that. now that soccer is over, school is almost out, and im without band, we have a lot more time. i guess its time for me to get back in the kitchen and start cooking.
:)

• Members

Originally posted by badboybass

for me, TB, i would be worried that your wife is taking an 'easy way out' and as a consequence, slowly lowering the future quality of your kids life.

sorry if that sounds harsh, but thats my honest take on it.

For me, take outs are a treat i would allow my kids maybe once a fortnite or so.

I agree with you.

What I find really interesting is that my wife has been on this organic, back-to-nature jag. She drives 90 minutes to a farm to get milk straight from the cow's teat. She has fresh produce delivered from an organic farm. I'm really not sure how she reconciles her behavior. I'm the bad guy if I bring it up though.

• Members

that is pretty hyprocritical behaviour!

i think 'fast food nation' would be good for her to read because if she's into organic and fresh food, then reading about what exactly goes into those fast food meals will make her wince.

is it just a convience thing for her?

• Members

This is timely. Me, the Wife and the Daughter just got in from a rare meal out. Went to Chinatown for roast duck and bbq pork. mmmm ... baby! We're big-time food freaks and cooking fiends. Love doing the big market shop. If we're free, we'll devote a Saturday to a meal. When we go out for a meal we go for the non-Western experience.

• Members
Originally posted by badboybass

is it just a convience thing for her?

Yes.

I think what bugs me most is that she's a stay-at-home mom...she has nothing but time. She chooses to overextend herself. I think she uses the "eating out" as some sort of crutch or enabler or something.

I'm really considering opening a savings account and shifting all of our extra cash to that account. When she realizes that there's little money in the account, maybe she'll spend less.
:confused:

• Members

we go through spells...some weeks not at all, some weeks more than twice or 3 times.

probably on the average, less than once a week. we eat fairly healthy, plus trying to get our son to learn early to eat well too. add to that the fact that there's only like 3 decent restaurants within 20 miles, and it comes up to not eating out frequently...

:)

• Members

how many meals in a day? :o Thats probably your answer. Granted, I work in a restaurant. It costs me less to eat at work than home.... And at home i'm usually to lazy to eat a cajun prawn dianne, or something like that. On my days off and lunch, it's usually something asian, like pho. $4 for a filling healthy bowl of soup. Indian or Japanese when we have a few bucks to spend.

• Members

My wife and I would not get along on a single income. One of us would feel guilty for not working and the other would feel taken advantage of.

I'd love to be a stay at home dad for my three dogs for about a month or so, I've got a lot of {censored} that I need to get done around the house.

Moving the money as a means of deception is a BAD idea. When she finds out, and she will, she will be super pissed.

Sit her down and explain that she can either have the organic food or the restaurant prepared food. Since she buys into the organic BS, it shouldn't be too hard to explain that she's killing her children with this mass produced garbage.

Won't she do it for the children? ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'm really considering opening a savings account and shifting all of our extra cash to that account. When she realizes that there's little money in the account, maybe she'll spend less.

DING DING DING!!!

Yep, budgeting could be the answer. Maybe see if you can get her to go to a financial planner (honey, we have to start saving for the kids' college and our retirement!). A good planner can help you budget this sort of thing and help your wife understand the long-term implications of spending too much $$ at restaurants.

As for the original question, when my wife was working we ate out as much or more than we cooked at home. Now that she's a stay-at-home mom we probably eat out less than 1x/week (other than my lunches at work).

• Members

I'm not married, I'm living with my family again. We eat dinner at the house 5 days a week. Dad eats sandwiches made by mom. My brother works at Chuck E Cheese and he eats the junk there for lunch. My sister eats lunch made by mom. I try to remember to make up food for my lunches(usually broiled or grilled chicken). When I forget to bring food froom home, which is about half the time I order a grilled chicken sub with lettuce and hot peppers on wheat bread. The whole family might carry out or fast food together once during the weekend. We usuallly all go out to a sit down dinner 2 or 3 times a month. Everyone fends for themselves for meals through most of the weekend. I usually cook up tons of fish and shrimp during the weekend afternoons.

• CMS Author
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Yes.

I think what bugs me most is that she's a stay-at-home mom...she has nothing but time. She chooses to overextend herself. I think she uses the "eating out" as some sort of crutch or enabler or something.

Get receipts for every meal. Keep an envelope in the car or something to store them. At the end of a month, add it up and show her how much money you're spending, and then show her a catalog for her favorite clothing or shoe store, and ask how much half (half is yours, right??) of that could buy her each month.

Edit: Oh, and get cholesterol tests for all of you. That milk is bad, but it's nothing compared to the triglycerides and LDL cholesterol you'll likely be getting from the endless barrage of burgers and deep-fried foods at restaurants.

• Members

several times a week. Although I've been cutting back since I've been trying to save some money. Eating out really adds up after awhile. Thankfully where I work there isn't many places that I can go for lunch so I have to bing my own.

• Members
:( the title to this thread is VERY misleading...:eek::p

As a family we have pizza delivered about twice a month.

About once a month I like to go out for breakfast when I'm not making the family a breakfast on the weekends. Sometimes we all go, sometimes I just bring the kids and the wife sleeps in.

I would say about twice a month I'll grab Chinese food for lunch with a friend.

And, finally, My wife and I will go out for a nice dinner once every 4-6 weeks.

• Members

lol @ thread title ;)

I'm broke enough trying to run a car while at uni, no way can I afford to eat out. I don't buy lunch at uni anymore since it was gettig really expensive.

I wonder if people in here in the UK or in europe eat out as often as in the US?

• Members

I think we eat out usually three meals a week. I'm the cook in the house, and make larger meals so I can have leftovers for lunch.

I don't have the option of lunch away from the building and the Cafe sucks, so lunch comes from home. The wife has lunch downtown everyday.

We usually keep it cheap though: burritos, sandwiches, KFC.

We've made a concious effort to pay off credit cards, so there is not a lot of fundage for restaurants.

Don't short your wife as a stay at home mom. It's a hard job. She might see meals out as a break from home. Take the health issue from earlier and use that to help her find new alternatives (cheaper) for activities out of the house. Going to the park or pool even the mall.

Maybe she needs to find things that the kids can help her cook for lunch. There are plenty of Kids' Cookbooks out there.

I'm not sure how old your kids are.

• Members

Thank God I Live in Long Island New York, as all the restaurant compete with each bringing the meals to about $6 dollars each and that includes Salad, Pasta, Cheese Cake and a Glass of Wine...and each restaurant has a different day that they advertise in the local paper. Also, since buying the movie "Super Size Me" we dont eat Fast food at all !!!

Since both my wife and I work and we dont get home till about 6:30 pm its easier to eat out. We tend to eat out at least 6 days a week.

• Members

Originally posted by dert_stylus

[bAlso, since buying the movie "Super Size Me" we dont eat Fast food at all !!!

The guy that made that movie is a moron. While I'm not an advocate of the fast food industry and very rarely eat fast food, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that eating that much bad food is going to have those affects on you. I mean when you're eating a 2000 calorie meal 3 times a day of course it's going to mess you up, it's nothing revolutionary and he certainly didn't break any ground. The guy just seems like a douche to me

Archived