Eating Out

Thunderbroom

• Members

B-Bottom, you're assuming that people think.

Nobody thinks about their food, it's all there in overabundance. I have to conciously control my portions because of the starving kid in China thing we grew up with. I clean my plate, no questions asked.

Supersize me was indeed idiotic, but it was necessary to prove a point.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fureybass

Don't short your wife as a stay at home mom. It's a hard job. She might see meals out as a break from home. Take the health issue from earlier and use that to help her find new alternatives (cheaper) for activities out of the house. Going to the park or pool even the mall.

Maybe she needs to find things that the kids can help her cook for lunch. There are plenty of Kids' Cookbooks out there.

I'm not sure how old your kids are.

I traded roles with her last Summer while she went on a two-week trip to Ireland. I was off work so it was a fair comparison. My kids were 11/9 at the time. At this age, the kids can pretty much fend for themselves. It's not that hard...when they were younger....you bet it was a very hard job. My kids tend to entertain themselves.

The point of this thread is not to berate my wife; I just wanted to know if we ate out more than "normal". We do.

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

The guy that made that movie is a moron. While I'm not an advocate of the fast food industry and very rarely eat fast food, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that eating that much bad food is going to have those affects on you. I mean when you're eating a 2000 calorie meal 3 times a day of course it's going to mess you up, it's nothing revolutionary and he certainly didn't break any ground. The guy just seems like a douche to me

Dude I am not saying he is right , but it does make you think. Plus a meal from McDonalds cost so much money anyway !!

• Members

I ususally have breakfast out 1-2 times per week and eat lunch out on Monday-Friday. Sunday we usually do lunch out after church and we have dinner out 3-4 times per week including every Friday night. So 10-14 meals per week.

• Members
Originally posted by dert_stylus

Plus a meal from McDonalds cost so much money anyway !!

Are you serious? McDonalds is pretty cheap. I don't have a problem with the fast food industry, it's up to individuals to know better than to eat every meal at one of these places. But it's like
fureybass said, I'm assuming people think.
It's to bad the guy in that movie didn't die, boy would the fastfood industry have egg on their face then, correction....egg mcmuffin

:p

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

The point of this thread is not to berate my wife; I just wanted to know if we ate out more than "normal". We do.

OK, I was just putting in some suggestions.

I think meals out is a function of lifestyle more than anything. Dert, in NY has access to many good inexpensive restaurants, so he can eat out more often. In Minnesota, not so much. A good meal costs a pretty penny here.

I personally don't see the point in going to McD's and paying for a salt and fat bomb, when I can make something healthier and better tasting at home. I'm sure you're of the same ilk, which is where your frustration comes from.

I've always thought, why pay for something that sucks, but if you have the option to eat well inexpensively, it's a different story.

• Members
Originally posted by fureybass

I personally don't see the point in going to McD's and paying for a salt and fat bomb, when I can make something healthier and better tasting at home.

+10 I can't remember the name of it, but there's a really nice little Irish Pub/restaraunt in St. Paul that had great food. MN's pretty nice for being so far north. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

How often to you and/or your family eat out each week...this includes sitdown meals with waitperson, fast food dine-in and drive through?

I eat out 1-2 times a week, fast food.

Maybe once or twice a month at a sit-down place.

It costs so much to eat at sit-down restaurants... especially for a college student...
The guitarist in my band eats at sit-down places at least once a week, and then complains about not having money for guitar strings :rolleyes:
:mad:

My eating schedule may change when I get a girlfriend tho...:o

• Members

I usually eat out Friday nights with my parents 3-4 times a month.

I may go out with my friends somewhere once a week or so as well at night.

I eat out at work maybe once a week.

On average I eat out twice a week in total.

• Members
Originally posted by Sixgun77

+10 I can't remember the name of it, but there's a really nice little Irish Pub/restaraunt in St. Paul that had great food. MN's pretty nice for being so far north.
:D

There are a million Irish bars in St. Paul, seriously. I really like the Local in Downtown MPLS. Amazing Reubens. Seating right on the mall. It's one of the reasons I want to get a job downtown. Oh and perfectly poured Guiness.

I don't make it St. Paul too often except to go to Willy's when the cat's are at the Vet.

• Members

Just cause this is kind of on topic. I was in Edmonton and I say "{censored} I wish they had some White Castle here." and he says "Dude we have one of those," but I say, "Uhh, I don't think they have those in Canada," but he assures me that they have one. He takes me to this pub called the White Elephant.

• Members

Originally posted by oneinchshawn

Just cause this is kind of on topic. I was in Edmonton and I say "{censored} I wish they had some White Castle here." and he says "Dude we have one of those," but I say, "Uhh, I don't think they have those in Canada," but he assures me that they have one. He takes me to this pub called the White Elephant.

Soon I'll be able to choose between White Castle or Del Taco when coming home late. My wife's not gonna like that one bit.

Archived