Daughter-Related: Recommend Me Some Freaky Religious Movies!

Thunderbroom

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

....Why are you surprised that I didn't know? I'm not a Christian. My wife grew up Catholic. Catholics don't do this sort of stuff. She was more suprised than I was.

To be fair, we gotta say they don't do it ANYMORE.

• Members
Originally posted by MrJoshua

The Prophecy was a pretty neat movie. Christopher Walken is almost always great.
:)

+++1 This movie has my vote! Loved the whole series and there is a new one about to come out.( Left Behind )was also a "make you think" movie.( The Seventh Sign )with Demi Moore was good too.

• Members

What is the time referenced in "ANYMORE"? My wife is 40. When did this stop in the Catholic church?

I believe he's probably referring to The Spanish Inquisition, among other things.

• Members

The Omen :D (the priest with the lightning pole is {censored}ing awesome.) or my girlfriend suggested "The Last Temptation of Christ"

which isn't..scary or freaky, but all-out weird. it's got willem dafoe in it

• Members

What is the time referenced in "ANYMORE"? My wife is 40. When did this stop in the Catholic church?

From the top of my head, I believe it formally stopped after the council Vatican II, in 1965.

Some may come with more insightful information.

Prior to that, catholic missionaries gladly converted any new people they found in front of them, Indian, African or other.

• Members

I went to a lot of baptist church camps as a kid (with sermons and {censored}) where it was well advertised what would be going on. We never had "Stand up if you're saved" night... ever.

That's {censored}ed up.

• Members

Originally posted by jbryant8159

The real question here is whether a Christian went to a Buddhist sponsored affair would they feel uncomfortable about all that was going on? Many Christian sects feel they have to
save
everybody else by convincing them to declare their faith in the Trinity. Big, big (and oft times scary) difference.

My sister is a Wiccan, and I hang out with her and her friends from time to time. Does that count? Further, I've gone with them to Ren fairs and such, knowing full well I was going to be made uncomfortable from time to time (What's the problem with Baptists? They don't hold them under the water long enough, ha ha ha!)

And if you think Christians are the only religion that feels the need to change the beliefs of others, you've never hung around with many Wiccans. Lots of them (like lots of Christians) are very nice and respectful. Some of them (like some purported Christians) are downright scary.

However, I apologize for what I said before. I misconstrued one of T'broom's statements. If the camp was made out to be one thing and then turned out to be something else, that's disingenuous at best and an outright lie at worst. Either way, not something anyone should engage in, particularly not when they're trying to perform a ministry.

• Members
Originally posted by Sweetpea

+++1 This movie has my vote! Loved the whole series and there is a new one about to come out.( Left Behind )was also a "make you think" movie.( The Seventh Sign )with Demi Moore was good too.

Sweetpea, darling, light of my life, you never call anymore... :(

• Members

However, I apologize for what I said before. I misconstrued one of T'broom's statements. If the camp was made out to be one thing and then turned out to be something else, that's disingenuous at best and an outright lie at worst. Either way, not something anyone should engage in, particularly not when they're trying to perform a ministry.

This was exactly what put the bug in my ass. If it hadn't been portrayed one way and the reality quite different, I would have never started this thread. The fact that I was mislead by their own promo materials is what bothers me.

• Moderators

I've always liked stopping by TBN and checking it out. It blows my mind how these folks operate. It is just so, so bizarre to me.

+1
I just want to know how people send money into TBN. How good are they persuading people to send in money. Every televangelist on TBN is wearing a freshly tailored Armani suit. Looks like they're really hurtin'.

How 'bout Footloose?:D

Good call on Stigmata. Gabriel Byrne is the priest in that one, and plays the devil in End of Days with Schwarzenegger. Wierd watching those back to back.

• Members

This was exactly what put the bug in my ass. If it hadn't been portrayed one way and the reality quite different, I would have never started this thread. The fact that I was mislead by their own promo materials is what bothers me.

You said something about it being "sponsored by the same folks that she worked with in the Spring" so it doesnt sound like it was a completely new and foreign concept to you and her. What was that experience like?

Just out of curiosity, how *was* the camp potrayed to you? How did you find out about it? Mutual friend, phone book, flyer, etc?

• Members

And if you think Christians are the only religion that feels the need to change the beliefs of others, you've never hung around with many Wiccans. Lots of them (like lots of Christians) are very nice and respectful. Some of them (like some purported Christians) are downright scary.

Thanks for the perspective check; things like this have a way of turning into "All act like this" and it's convienent to forget that no one group has a monopoly on annoying behaviour.

• Members

My sister is a Wiccan, and I hang out with her and her friends from time to time. Does that count? Further, I've gone with them to Ren fairs and such, knowing full well I was going to be made uncomfortable from time to time (What's the problem with Baptists? They don't hold them under the water long enough, ha ha ha!)

i was a practicing wiccan for a while. i kinda quit because everyone i knew was just an angry christian. they were mad at christianity for some reason, but essentially practiced the same religion except with different names.

i thought they were kinda lame :(

• Members

the greatest story ever told
barabbas
the robe
quo vadis
the zefferelli film about jesus in italian...its the best i have seen
the fourth king
the passion...imho a waste of good acting abilities
jesus of nazareth...
and
jesus christ superstar...my favourite

the others other than jcss are a mish mash of unbalanced theology and idealogical and theological superstitions and twists on the simplicity of the gospels...i would even say wrong!!

sorry your daughter got tainted by the jesus freaks...i call it mind control and collusion with a minor with a view to deceive...
the bastards:cool:

better to decide personally if you want a personal relationship

• Members

We just got home from picking our daughter up from camp. She was in an acting camp that performed "Bye Bye Birdie" this afternoon. I mentioned it in the Party Cart thread.

The camp was sponsored by the same folks that she worked with in the Spring...a Christian-affiliated group. In the play that she worked on from early April to late May, the religious overtones were kept to a minimum though they were present. For those that don't know, our family practices Buddhism. I was not thrilled that my daughter chose to do this, but relented.

Well...the camp worked. She said that she felt as if she was being held captive by a cult all week (no offense...honestly...to those of you of the Christian faith). They spent an hour plus each morning in worship services followed by devotional time. They followed this up with "cool" religious activities in the evening. My daughter was shocked by it, though I told her to expect this stuff before she went. She seemed really freaked out about it.

Anyway, for fun she and I want to watch some freaky religious movies. Though not freaky, we're gonna watch "Saved" again. She totally missed what that movie is about. She now has an appreciation for it. We've seen "The Exorcist" before. I'm thinking "Stigmata" would be cool. Any other recommendations? My daughter is 12, but I don't censor what she watches. She self-censors. So...don't worry about the movie rating.

Thanks!

:)

Priest.:D

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte

You said something about it being "sponsored by the same folks that she worked with in the Spring" so it doesnt sound like it was a completely new and foreign concept to you and her. What was that experience like?

Just out of curiosity, how *was* the camp potrayed to you? How did you find out about it? Mutual friend, phone book, flyer, etc?

My daughter (and my wife and I) found out about this organization via a homeschooling acquaintance. Either my wife or I were at most of the rehearsals and worked with the other adults in putting together the sets for the play. None of the adults mentioned religion at all directly to me other than a "Thank Jesus" for the weather being good when we moved the sets from storage. My daughter said that she didn't feel put off by the adults or kids (other than typical kid fussing) relative to any religious stuff. We felt comfortable around these folks as they weren't pushing Jesus on anyone. Truth be told though that they didn't know nor do they currently know that we're not a Christian family. Per the information we were privy too, the organization said they welcome folks of all faiths.

The camp is sponsored by the same group. To us, we understood it to be similar to what had just experienced with the group with the diffenence being that it was a residential activity instead of a commuter activity.

As a whole, we're not bitter about it. My daughter gained much from this experience. Before the camp, she was set on working with the same group on another play in the Fall. She decided, on her own, that she's rather not act if she has to deal with these folks again. We're currently looking for something closer to home.

Archived