Daughter-Related: Recommend Me Some Freaky Religious Movies!

Thunderbroom

• Members

We just got home from picking our daughter up from camp. She was in an acting camp that performed "Bye Bye Birdie" this afternoon. I mentioned it in the Party Cart thread.

The camp was sponsored by the same folks that she worked with in the Spring...a Christian-affiliated group. In the play that she worked on from early April to late May, the religious overtones were kept to a minimum though they were present. For those that don't know, our family practices Buddhism. I was not thrilled that my daughter chose to do this, but relented.

Well...the camp worked. She said that she felt as if she was being held captive by a cult all week (no offense...honestly...to those of you of the Christian faith). They spent an hour plus each morning in worship services followed by devotional time. They followed this up with "cool" religious activities in the evening. My daughter was shocked by it, though I told her to expect this stuff before she went. She seemed really freaked out about it.

Anyway, for fun she and I want to watch some freaky religious movies. Though not freaky, we're gonna watch "Saved" again. She totally missed what that movie is about. She now has an appreciation for it. We've seen "The Exorcist" before. I'm thinking "Stigmata" would be cool. Any other recommendations? My daughter is 12, but I don't censor what she watches. She self-censors. So...don't worry about the movie rating.

Thanks!

:)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

We just got home from picking our daughter up from camp. She was in an acting camp that performed "Bye Bye Birdie" this afternoon. I mentioned it in the Party Cart thread.

The camp was sponsored by the same folks that she worked with in the Spring...a Christian-affiliated group. In the play that she worked on from early April to late May, the religious overtones were kept to a minimum though they were present. For those that don't know, our family practices Buddhism. I was not thrilled that my daughter chose to do this, but relented.

Well...the camp worked. She said that she felt as if she was being held captive by a cult all week (no offense...honestly...to those of you of the Christian faith). They spent an hour plus each morning in worship services followed by devotional time. They followed this up with "cool" religious activities in the evening. My daughter was shocked by it, though I told her to expect this stuff before she went. She seemed really freaked out about it.

Anyway, for fun she and I want to watch some freaky religious movies. Though not freaky, we're gonna watch "Saved" again. She totally missed what that movie is about. She now has an appreciation for it. We've seen "The Exorcist" before. I'm thinking "Stigmata" would be cool. Any other recommendations? My daughter is 12, but I don't censor what she watches. She self-censors. So...don't worry about the movie rating.

Thanks!

:)

Sorry to hear she started to get uncomfortable there. Most western religions seem to operate that way.

Try the original "Amityville Horror". It's somewhat spooky and hilarious and has Catholic religious overtones running throughout..

Then again you could just have her read Geddy'sFavHeadache's thread titled Christian Bandz? http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=965418

and ask her how an adult author can post halfway through the thread and question why it has become a religious argument. :rolleyes:

• Members

One of the weirder things was that they tried to get kids to sign a "Purity Pledge". Sex was only a small part of it. I guess it is not Christ-like to have piercings (other than ears) and tatoos.

I guess they were doing the "if you've accepted Jesus today, stand up". So some kids stood up. They followed this up with "if you've already accepted Jesus, stand up". My daughter was the only one sitting. So, feeling really weird she did the non-Christian thing and lied and stood up.

• Members

Can someone start a profanity thread for my daughter?

:D

She's kinda watching over this thread, and we're chatting. She was telling me that at the cast party for the last play she did with these folks, they gave out an award for "Most Christ-like".

:eek:

I said something about how {censored}ed up that was. I then apologized. She told me she needed some profanity to offset the bizarre week that she experienced.

• Members

I just find sad and annoying that they try to shove the Bible down kids' throats.

It's a US protestant thingy mostly.

I received a Catholic education and there never was any of that. Jews never do that (they don't do recruiting), neither do muslims (they just deliver information and explanations, even if sometimes biased, and let you do think what you want).

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I just find sad and annoying that they try to shove the Bible down kids' throats.

It's a US protestant thingy mostly.

I received a Catholic education and there never was any of that. Jews never do that (they don't do recruiting), neither do muslims (they just deliver information and explanations, even if sometimes biased, and let you do think what you want).

It's called prostilization and and is a mainstay in many Christian religions. And they wonder why there is a turn-off as they approach folks who could care less.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

Note: homosexuality was common practice among buddhist monks in in Japan around 300 years ago and earlier.

THey weren't allowed to touc women, so they found a loophole
:p

I guess that's why my religion doesn't have a beef with homosexuals. As a matter of fact, our lay group will be marching Chicago's Gay Pride Parade this year.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

I think reversing that would be more true, actually.

I believe the main reason monks weren't allowed to touch women was influence fom Taoism.

Before you start down this road with me, please keep in mind that there are many sects of Buddhism just as there are branches of Christianity.

;)

• Members

I find it odd that people on this thread are complaining about the Bible being "shoved down her throat" when she went to a camp specifically for that purpose, even after she was warned. :confused: I mean, I don't complain about getting "preached" at when I hang out with my sister and her fellow Wiccans.

That said, Dogma was hilarious. It was especially funny when you realized how much of the movie was based on poking fun at things that aren't actually in the Bible at all (for example, the idea that Jesus was Mary's only child).

The Prophecy was a pretty neat movie. Christopher Walken is almost always great. :)

• Members

Before you start down this road with me, please keep in mind that there are many sects of Buddhism just as there are branches of Christianity.

;)

Actually that's why I mentioned it.

Taoism had a bigger impact in Japanese Buddhism(and Shintoism, but let's not complicate this any further) than I expected, but wasn't sure about other areas.

• Members

'Bad Lieutenant'.

There's definitely stuff in it not for a 12 year old girl, but it's a incredible Christian fable of sacrifice, forgiveness and dying for the sins of others.

Also, Duvall's 'The Apostle' has the most wrenching scene of redemption I've seen on film. Unbelievable movie.

• Members

;)

Which sect do you actually work with, if you don't mind me asking?

• Members

Sounds like a freaky camp. What about chick.com? I think that's the name of the site. Bull{censored} radical conservative christian webcomics are always good for a laugh.

Is that terrible show Point Pleasant still on Fox? It tries to be the OC and a really, REALLY bad antichrist-poltergeist thing.

• Members

T, i don't know how old your daughter is and what sophistication level you're looking for but i'd recommend highly

Elmer Gantry

with Burt Lancaster and Jean Simmons.

" Elmer Gantry (1960) is an entertaining melodrama with memorable performances. It is the controversial telling of Sinclair Lewis' novel regarding the charismatically engaging, but scandalous Midwestern salesman turned preacher in the 1920s.

Elmer Gantry (Burt Lancaster) is a huckster who sells shoeshines and vacuum cleaners. Gantry is lustful, coarse, loud, ambitious, motivated by an easy dollar, golden-tongued, and often drunk. His first memorable appearance on screen in a speakeasy demonstrates his high-energy eloquence with words in this impromptu Christmas sermon:

...You think, uh, religion is for suckers and easy marks and molly-coddlers, eh? You think Jesus was some kind of a sissy, hey? Well, let me tell you, Jesus wouldn't be afraid to walk into this joint or any other speakeasy to preach the gospel. Jesus had guts. He wasn't afraid of the whole Roman army. Think that quarterback's hot stuff? Well, let me tell you, Jesus would have made the best little All-American quarterback in the history of football. Jesus was a real fighter - the best little scrapper, pound for pound, you ever saw. And why, gentlemen? Love, gentlemen. Jesus had love in both fists! And what is love? Love is the mornin' and the evenin' star. It shines on the cradle of the Babe. Hear ye, sinners. Love is the inspiration of poets and philosophers. Love is the voice of music. I'm talkin' about divine love - not carnal love.

The opportunistic Gantry becomes infatuated by touring tent ministry evangelist-healer, the beautiful, pure, and dedicated Sister Sharon Falconer (Jean Simmons), and she is charmed by him as well: "You're amusing and you smell like a real man." He joins her tent ministry, and becomes her lover.

Gantry turns into an evangelizing, Bible Belt revivalist preacher. Exhibiting tremendous showmanship, Brother Gantry, with rolled up shirt-sleeves, preaches hellfire and brimstone, thumps his Bible, performs miracles, and leads repentant sinners to conversion in the Bible Belt tent meetings..."

it goes on but i don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it. they don't make movies like this anymore.

there was a tremendous movie recently with Robert Duvall, but i can't think of the name of it right now.

and there's always "Change of Habit" with Elvis and Mary Tyler Moore :D

EDIT: the Duvall movie is called "The Apostle" -

Written, directed, and personally financed by Robert Duvall, The Apostle was the culmination of a 14-year effort on the part of its creator, who also stars as the dynamic, God-fearing Texas preacher Euliss "Sonny" Dewey. Vibrantly authentic with its use of real gospel preachers and extras carefully selected from parishes of the deep South, the film treats its complicated characters with the kind of compassion and moral complexity mainstream Hollywood wouldn't dare muster. This is especially true in the case of Sonny, who responds to his wife's infidelity with a crime of passion that sends him on a new and uncharted quest for redemption. Under the assumed identity of "The Apostle E.F.," he settles in a tiny Louisiana town to revive an old church, where he undergoes a transformation of spirit and purpose that enlivens his community. But will the law catch up to him? Does he deserve to be punished? Fueled by Duvall's powerhouse performance, The Apostle refuses to praise or condemn its fascinating central character, leaving the proper degree of forgiveness up to the viewer.

• Members

Originally posted by frunobulax

T, i don't know how old your daughter is and what sophistication level you're looking for

She's twelve.

We're looking to be entertained first and foremost. I think the think we're seeking out is some sort of understanding about how folks can believe what they believe. My daughter was blown away by how this camp was badmouthing other Christians because they weren't following the "correct teachings of Jesus". It seems to me that it's all up to interpretation. Folks have to choose the interpretation that makes the most sense to them.

For my daughter (and me), none of the interpretations make sense...but that's just us. From an entertainment standpoint, I guess we're also looking for the absurdness of organized religion in general (keeping in mind that our family belongs to an organized sect of Buddhism) and the steps that are taken to keep folks in line.

For fun right now, she's watching TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network).

• Members

For fun right now, she's watching TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network).

That's disturbing. I try to avoid even accidental exposure to TBN...those people scare the hell out of me.

• Members

Originally posted by TwYzTyR

That's disturbing. I try to avoid even accidental exposure to TBN...those people scare the hell out of me.

I've always liked stopping by TBN and checking it out. It blows my mind how these folks operate. It is just so, so bizarre to me. My daughter is now seeing the connection between the camp she attended and what she's seeing on TBN. It's pretty enlightening for her.

Archived