Best rear end

fretless

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How did the US make such curvaceous shapes and obviously difficult to manufacture panels whilst keeping the price so low?

The average Falcon sedan/coupe in the early 70s was AUD$2500. What was the average cooking model Camaro/Mustang in US$ around that time?

Was the Impala considered an expensive luxury car in the 60s? It was not considered a Mercedes Benz, Rolls Royce or Ferrari, but I bet the cost to produce such a large shapely body was not unlike that of a European counterpart. These days you don't see panels like that, and when you do, you pay for it.

• Members
Originally posted by Texas Noise Factory

... As far as classics go, I love the '59 Impala. Cat eyes!!!

1959-Chevrolet-Impala-seafoam-green-E.jp

Ohhhhhh YES! My much older brother had a root beer 59 hardtop with tri-power something something. I thought it was cooler than the coolest thing ever.

• Members
Originally posted by Benjamin

I always had a soft spot for this Australian gem: The Ford Falcon XA/XB/XC series coupe. In my mind the most perfectly proportioned large coupe ever. My favourites were XA and XB.

Go
here
to see many more.

xacoupe.jpg
redxb2.jpg

Edit: Images removed because of Tripod
:mad:

Damn, those are fine looking cars, wish they'd been offered in the US. Somewhere between my '69 Malibbu and the AMC AMXes I always lusted after....

• Members
Originally posted by bholder

Damn, those are fine looking cars, wish they'd been offered in the US. Somewhere between my '69 Malibu and the AMC AMXes I always lusted after....

Actually they made something very close the the Australian Ford Falcon in the US...

The Ford Torino 351 SCJ. They even gave it more power here in America!

Here's a Torino Cobra pic...

71_torinocobra2.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Benjamin

I always had a soft spot for this Australian gem: The Ford Falcon XA/XB/XC series coupe. In my mind the most perfectly proportioned large coupe ever. My favourites were XA and XB.

Go
here
to see many more.

xacoupe.jpg
redxb2.jpg

Edit: Images removed because of Tripod
:mad:

Very nice. Looks nothing like the Falcon my brother bought a couple months ago. Mid 80's with a V-6, 4-speed manual.

• Members
Originally posted by Texas Noise Factory

Actually they made something very close the the Australian Ford Falcon in the US...

The Ford Torino 351 SCJ. They even gave it more power here in America!

Here's a Torino Cobra pic...

71_torinocobra2.jpg

That would be the car I was thinking of when trying to remember seeing the shape our Aussie Falcon coupes came from. I reckon we got the shape right. They're considerably smaller than the Torino, and probably a lot lighter, yet still a large car by our standards. I like the proportions a little better. The Aussie version was barely 1500Kg I believe.

The only high performance version of the XA/XB was the the 351 GT, and even that probably only just had 300HP. My cousin had a Bumblebee Yellow XB GT, with a stink hot 351. Under the guards he managed to fit nearly 12" wide rears! :eek:

Archived