Just Strings Sucks!!

Mudbass

• Members

They charged me $5.95 for each set. Just Strings ships USPS and I just checked the USPS website and for $5.95 the US post office will ship an 11 pound package any place in the country. You suppose a set of bass strings for my Ric weighs 11 pounds? Shit, and they were extra lights too. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

They charged me $5.95 for
each
set. Just Strings ships USPS and I just checked the USPS website and for $5.95 the US post office will ship an 11 pound package any place in the country. You suppose a set of bass strings for my Ric weighs 11 pounds? Shit, and they were extra lights too.
:rolleyes:

Send them an e-mail. That's not right, and I'll bet they'll credit $5.95 back onto your account.

• Members

I've had nothing but great experiences with JustStrings, and I've bought all my strings from them since 2004. They've combined orders for me before, so perhaps this was an oversight. I've called and spoken with folks on 2-3 occaisions, and they're very friendly and surprisingly knowlegable. Give 'em a call!

• Members

Out of curiosity (and too much time on my hands) I did the math. A 4-string set of bass strings package and all weighs in at 6 ounces, I know cause I just weighed some. First class postage to mail 6 ounces is $1.35, it says so right on the USPS site. USPS will ship an 5lb package (parcel post) anywhere in the country for $5.64. It takes 13.3 sets of bass strings to make 5lbs. At a $5.95 flat rate (which is what Just Strings charges) you don't break even on shipping unless you buy more than 13 sets!

Such a deal!

• Members

but.. will USPS pack your stuff in a little envelope and take it to the postoffice for you?

I bought two sets of bass strings, one 4 and one 5, and two sets of electric guitar strings from JS.com. the fact that I didn't have to drive into albuquerque to a music store and pay the "recommended" price for them (which, in my case, was equating to ~$8 more per set for bass and $1.50 more per set for guitar strings) made it totally worth it for me-- also, the selection of my local stores is atrocious.

• Members

Out of curiosity (and too much time on my hands) I did the math. A 4-string set of bass strings package and all weighs in at 6 ounces, I know cause I just weighed some. First class postage to mail 6 ounces is $1.35, it says so right on the USPS site. USPS will ship an 5lb package (parcel post) anywhere in the country for $5.64. It takes 13.3 sets of bass strings to make 5lbs. At a $5.95 flat rate (which is what Just Strings charges) you don't break even on shipping unless you buy more than 13 sets!

Such a deal!

I agree, $5.64 is more than it should cost to send a set of strings. Not "should" as in "things should be cheaper," but the USPS will mail that kind of package for less than half that. Then again, what else would you expect from company shipping charges?

• Members

I've done close to 20 orders with them without any issues. I bet they'll refund you the extra $5.95 without hassle.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think $5.95 is a small price to pay for shipping a set of strings considering their low prices and outstanding in-stock selection.

• Members

And I know I'm making a huge deal out of nothing here, but one of my personal pet peeves is companies which offer stuff at bargain basement prices and then {censored} you on the shipping to make up for it.

Yeah.

And notice when they say $5.95, it is for shipping AND handling. In other words they have to pay someone to take your order, and pack it. Well, that can take all of about five or ten minutes but that's how they get you. So the costs isn't just the USPS charge it's for the labor.

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

I just looked at juststrings.com and my local GC beats their ass on prices.

What GC can't 'beat their ass on' is the selection. 10x+ selection at JS. Every time I've been at GC, the selection of bass strings is relatively miniscule. As well, there are many strings that both will offer, and JustStrings is cheaper. This is, unless your local GC is vastly different from the huge Boston and Natick GCs local to me...

• Members

Originally posted by hawkhuff

Yeah.

And notice when they say $5.95, it is for shipping AND handling. In other words they have to pay someone to take your order, and pack it. Well, that can take all of about five or ten minutes but that's how they get you. So the costs isn't just the USPS charge it's for the labor.

exactly, the cost is for shipping and handling, not just the shipping. But that is a bit much, I am sure it was an error, and they will refund you the extra $5.95 you paid...I believe most companies have standard ship rates of something like $5.95 for orders $0-$50, etc....

• Members

I went into my local shop (it wasn't a GC, its one of those small stores that's supposed to be better) the other day..

"may I help you?"

I need some 6-string bass strings

"... 6-string guitar?"

six string bass guitar.

"Oh, you mean a five string bass."

No, I don't.

so now, I've got some Webstrings on the way.. they should be here any time now; I sent my order in by mail last tuesday from here in Alabama. I tossed 2 sets of 4s, a set of 5's to mess around with BEAD tuning, and some banjo strings for a friend, for 47 bucks. Now I just need to see how they play..

Archived