Prince is on SNL

james on bass

• Members

Originally posted by gbassman100

Hey, people are calling him Prince again. I guess he's now the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince. I wonder, why do extreme weirdness and talent so often reside in the same person?

Unlike Puffy, P. Diddy, Diddlydidlydoo.. whatever his name is, Prince's name change had a purpose.

He was trapped in a contract with a recording company, and couldn't publish any music as "Prince" until May of 2000 when the contract expired.

So between 1993-2000 he released music as "the artist" or that wacky symbol.

• Members

Originally posted by gbassman100

Hey, people are calling him Prince again. I guess he's now the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince. I wonder, why do extreme weirdness and talent so often reside in the same person?

That wasn't extreme weirdness, it was a legal strategy. Warner Brothers would not let him out of his contract, and would not renegotiate. He wanted to make records his way, and they weren't having it.

So he gave them enough master tapes to release 10 years of "Prince" records, thus fulfilling the contract, and changed his name to the symbol until the Warner Contract expired. It expired in 2002, thus, He's Prince again.

• Members

What "Prince" really needs to do is take a cue from Zappa and release a series of "Shutup And Play Your Guitar" albums. I love his playing, and while I can appreciate his talent, I don't really like the styles he prefers in most of his songwriting and singing.

• Members

that first song kicked ass....that dude can throw down....everything about that performance was 10+....

then the 2nd song....pfffft....very lame....???

I really don't like prince that much, personally...but I have got to give him props everytime I see him....musicianship, showmanship, everything he does on stage is excellent...c-d

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

He's a great bass player as well, and I've heard he's a pretty good drummer.

Here's a clip of him playing bass

Prince and NPG

We saw him in concert twice last year. At one point he was playing a J-bass and did a slap duet with Rhonda. They even quoted Lopsy Lu. The show was full of little referencial riffs, like Eruption during his guitar solo.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Appearently you guys are completely ignorant and lack an ability to understand the Funk, Jazz, Blues,Rock,Reggae, R&B, Pop, Alternative, New Wave, and Minneapolis sound elements present in the music of PRINCE. Do yourself a favor and take a music appreciation class. Then before you have the audacity to criticize PRINCE learn to play..... guitar, BASS guitar, piano, keyboards, synthesizer, clavinet, drums, percussion, saxophone, harmonica and sing bass, tenor, alto, or soprano! Shut up already!

Archived