Choose my next bass

james on bass

• Members

I promise that I will listen to and purchase whatever this poll (you, my bass playing brethren) tells me to get. My wife and kids also get to vote.

I will order my SX 5 sometime this week.

My choices are sunburst or black, either will receive a tort pick guard among the usual mods.

jazz.jpg

jazz_bass.jpg

* I have also posted a poll at Guitars Canada forum, but they are mostly g**tarists over there, so I only count half the votes :D *

• Members

I voted sunburst. But did you see the mint green pick guard on black body picture I had a friend of mine make for you? I thought that looked pretty good. Even though its a guitar it gives you a pretty good idea what a bass would look like.

Edit: This one:

stratsortunskyldjegerstiv.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Didn't you already order an SX? Did you get it yet?

I ordered 2 a couple weeks ago but Rondo lost the order, or forgot to ship or something before they closed for the move. Kurt refunded my money right away when he found out. I spent some money instead on a new amp, so I'm just gonna order 1 SX for now.

If you see my "Thump" thread, you'l see what my next GAS purchase may well be. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Onkel Bob

I voted sunburst. But did you see the mint green pick guard on black body picture I had a friend of mine make for you? I thought that looked pretty good. Even though its a guitar it gives you a pretty good idea what a bass would look like.

I did see that, thanks. It didn't really speak to me though.

• Members

I'm in the minority. I vote black, as it looks a bit more disctinctive. Either would be good choice.

I had a sunburst mid-'60s Jazz as my second bass. I paid $275 for it in 1978, then traded it off for a Ric 4003. I wish I still had the Jazz :(

• Members

Black. I think in a couple months I'm gonna order the same bass and pimp it out. What kinda mods are you thinking about? I was thinking about a tort pick gaurd with a hipshot bridge and a Bill Lawrence P-style in at the neck position.

• Members

Originally posted by bassgeek

Everyone knows black basses sound better!

While this is absolutely correct, there is something about a black bass with a tort p/g that just doesn't work. And any real black bass is going to have a black headstock face at the least, and a black neck too if it is really going to rawk!:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

While this is absolutely correct, there is something about a black bass with a tort p/g that just doesn't work. And any real black bass is going to have a black headstock face at the least, and a black neck too if it is really going to rawk!
:cool:

I hate black necks.

:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

jazz.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic. My wife just saw it over my shoulder and said, "Hey, that looks like our house...and your bass....Aaaaaagh, you're evil!". :D

I have a black J w/black pearloid, (it's apart right now though 'cause I'm doing some tinkering), and the 'burst. On the black one, I've tried white, white pearl, black pearl and tort. Out of all of those configs on the black one, and my 'burst, I'll take the 'burst. That's just me though.

Archived