Bands that seem to just disappear

fretless

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by bassgeek

I'm not ashamed! I dig "all star", and never got sick of it during it's 3 year run on the charts!

In fact, there were 3 bands with more- or less, the same sound:

Smashmouth

Sugar Ray

and I forget the 3rd one..... All seem to have vanished into the night.

Like em or hate em, It 's weird that they were huge, but then GONE!!!!!!!

I like Smashmouth. My wife likes them more than I did. The problem to me was that their album tracks were not as good as their singles. The singles were a lot of fun. The last I heard of them was the fun cover of "I'm a Believer" on the Shrek sountrack. I liked the upfront organ on that track and a lot of their songs.

The third band that I think of with those was Chumbawumba, just because they all had singles at the same time. Chumbawumba's other songs are quite different--wacky & quite British.

• Members

Originally posted by someotherguy

I like Smashmouth. My wife likes them more than I did. The problem to me was that their album tracks were not as good as their singles. The singles were a lot of fun. The last I heard of them was the fun cover of "I'm a Believer" on the Shrek sountrack. I liked the upfront organ on that track and a lot of their songs.

The third band that I think of with those was Chumbawumba, just because they all had singles at the same time. Chumbawumba's other songs are quite different--wacky & quite British.

You may be right. And Kudos for Quoting Brian Jacques!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by someotherguy

I could be wrong but wasn't Chumbawumba an anarchist industrial band before they became popular? I thought I heard that somewhere.

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

I could be wrong but wasn't Chumbawumba an anarchist industrial band before they became popular? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Chumbawumba was made up of people kicked the {censored} out of the band Crass for wanting to become sell-out mainstream {censored}wads. They succeeded. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by lug

Good one. Loved their debut CD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabbing_Westward

"The follow-up was Darkest Days. It failed to sell as well as its predecessor, and the band was dropped from Columbia Records. They signed to Koch Records, issuing Stabbing Westward. Before a fifth LP could be recorded, Stabbing Westward broke up in 2002 (2002 in music).

Since then, lead singer Hall has formed The Dreaming."

• Members

Originally posted by Skip Wendel

I long for the days when I coudl turn on the radio and hear Dexie's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen!

(Runs away quickly before the first stone can konk-che-konk my knoggin!)

hee hee........

Skip Wendel

Hey, pop your head out here for a minute. No, really, it's OK...

(hefts rock behind back...)

• Members

"edit: google can't even find a mention of their lead singer + statutory rape-- you sure you're thinking of the right person?"

I'm pretty sure as Gwen Stefani who was married to him ditched his ass when charges against him for acts with a 15 year old came up. Maybe he settled?

• Members

I, like everyone thought of "Live". I still listen to them all the time. Those guys wrote some damn good tunes. I hope it's true a new album is due this summer!

Silverchair- they broke up, for like a year after "Diorama", which I loved, and now are "back" together, but don't know if they're recording.

Yeah, like every band I listened to in high school- Candlebox, Bush, The Verve Pipe, The Verve, White Zombie (rob is good an' all solo, but we need the BAND!), and i REALLY hope the Alice in Chains reunion isn't just BS. God those guys were good.

• Members

I, like everyone thought of "Live". I still listen to them all the time. Those guys wrote some damn good tunes. I hope it's true a new album is due this summer!

Silverchair- they broke up, for like a year after "Diorama", which I loved, and now are "back" together, but don't know if they're recording.

Yeah, like every band I listened to in high school- Candlebox, Bush, The Verve Pipe, The Verve, White Zombie (rob is good an' all solo, but we need the BAND!), and i REALLY hope the Alice in Chains reunion isn't just BS. God those guys were good.

• Members

• Members

Originally posted by whitegreyblack

Chumbawumba was made up of people kicked the {censored} out of the band Crass for wanting to become sell-out mainstream {censored}wads. They succeeded.
:confused:

nah, man.. they had a release on crass records, and were crass-influenced.. they were never in the band (im pretty sure, anyway)

they are bitches though. they released a lot of geniunely credible stuff before they signed to EMI and released the album with tubthumping... they had a good sized fanbase in england, and were writing more political punk-like stuff, and even were part of a comp called "{censored} EMI".. but then they made the album with tubthumping, got dropped from their label or something, and proceeded to sign to the exact label they'd written songs against

so yeah, they're sellout cunts

• Members

Originally posted by JRoll

"edit: google can't even find a mention of their lead singer + statutory rape-- you sure you're thinking of the right person?"

I'm pretty sure as Gwen Stefani who was married to him ditched his ass when charges against him for acts with a 15 year old came up. Maybe he settled?

Gwen is married to the lead singer of Bush, not Live.

• Members

Originally posted by whitegreyblack

Chumbawumba was made up of people kicked the {censored} out of the band Crass for wanting to become sell-out mainstream {censored}wads. They succeeded.
:confused:

nah, man.. they had a release on crass records, and were crass-influenced.. they were never in the band (im pretty sure, anyway)

they are bitches though. they released a lot of geniunely credible stuff before they signed to EMI and released the album with tubthumping... they had a good sized fanbase in england, and were writing more political punk-like stuff, and even were part of a comp called "{censored} EMI".. but then they made the album with tubthumping, got dropped from their label or something, and proceeded to sign to the exact label they'd written songs against

so yeah, they're sellout cunts

• Members

Originally posted by JRoll

Gwen is married to the lead singer of Bush, not Live.

Archived