keyboard amp fopr bass yeah or nah

sudbury

• Members

The driver might suffer a bit from the continual low frequency output, but keyboard amps are designed to reproduce a wide frequency band.

If it is a good deal, or if you do play keys, it makes sense. Otherwise I'd go with a bass amp.

• Members

i ran a bass through it and it actually sounded good, i have a {censored}e crate bx 25 and i don't do alot of jamming, mostly recording to tracks for hip hop. this would let me have some volume to jam without breaking the bank. a stepping stone to a bigger rig if i want to play in a real band again i guess. in light of this...opinions?

• CMS Author

Originally posted by sudbury

i ran a bass through it and it actually sounded good, i have a {censored}e crate bx 25 and i don't do alot of jamming, mostly recording to tracks for hip hop. this would let me have some volume to jam without breaking the bank. a stepping stone to a bigger rig if i want to play in a real band again i guess. in light of this...opinions?

Price?

• Members

The peavey kb amps actually work well for both synths and bass guitar. And weight conciderably less then their bass combos with 15" speaker. Is a good choice. However I normally reccomend for synth players to get a pair of 10" bass combos for kewl mini stereo rig aka 2 peavey minx110s or similiar. Most will use house Pa for the main sound. Most keyboard combos have horrid sounding peizo tweeters. A real minus if wanting any overdrive or distortion. Bass combos by Eden Nemesis, Genz Benz, etc will give better full range hifi sound to synths and bass alike, then most keyboard combos in my experience. Eden nemesis 1x15 and 2x10 combos are my fave higher power lightweight comb amps for bass, synths and guitar. Their 1x15 does have a better balance betweenlows to highs then the 2x10 which more emphasizes bass.

But yeah, the peavey kb combos are good choice for fullrange combos on a budget suitable for synths, bass, and guitar. Unlike most other keyboard combos I've tried. Peavey seems to be the only maker in mid to lower price combos whose bass satisfies me. Unless theyve changed recently, they use same woofers as they do for the bass combos.

• Members

Originally posted by sudbury

price is about 2 bills cdn, remember that i live in northern ontario where used gear is kinda hard ot come by and toronto (just south of here) is notoriously overpriced.

I say buy it.

:wave:

• Members

at my school i play bass for instrumental and in band. i use my fender precision and i play through the only amp the school has and it is a peavey kb 60 (not as loud as yours i know) anyway the thing looks atleast 10 years old and at low volumes it sounds ok but i find that the lows sound kind of thin and dont punch through, but it does have pretty nice tone, in your case though i would go with a bass amp

• Members

My keyboard player is also my live-in GF and she has both this amp and the bigger KC-500. The 500 was her road warrior for a few years and pretty much is toast. The 300 is our usual practice amp, at home and at the rare band practices that we have, we both run out of it.

I don't know that I'd go out of my way to buy it for bass but it works just fine and sounds pretty good. If you're getting a good deal and don't push it way too hard, you'll be happy with it.

• Members

I played with a keyboard player years ago, and have played through the kb-300. If it's the same one as he had it was basically a 4 channel mk-4 without the eq and biamp (210 watts @ 4 ohm) into a 15 inch black widow. It's a good bass amp. The tweeter may bug you, but you can either eq it away or disconnect it (maybe add a switch?).

Archived