Switching The Pickups in a Peavey T-40??

Casper Cliche

• Members

My first question would be: Why? Peavey T-40/ T-45 pickups are probably the best sounding/highest output passive pickups on the planet. I can't tell you the exact out put specs but my T-40 can keep up with most of my basses with 9v active systems (my G&L is excluded).

The second question is: What pickups do you have in mind? Keep in mind that a T-40s tone knob rolled back to about 7 also acts as switch from dual coil to single coil....................

• Members

Originally posted by DevilRaysFan

My first question would be: Why? Peavey T-40/ T-45 pickups are probably the best sounding/highest output passive pickups on the planet. I can't tell you the exact out put specs but my T-40 can keep up with most of my basses with 9v active systems (my G&L is excluded).

The second question is: What pickups do you have in mind? Keep in mind that a T-40s tone knob rolled back to about 7 also acts as switch from dual coil to single coil....................

I concur. The pickups and electronics of the T-40 make it unique. It's kinda like a Dano in that respect.

I don't agree with swappin pickups in the T-40, but I have heard of people dropping Dark Star pickups in without any major modifications.

• Members

Originally posted by Casper Cliche

Im keeping the one i have stock....but i love the weight/body of the T-40. Im interested in picking up another and modding it a bit...

If you absolutely have to do it, go with Darkstars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Another vote for the Darkstar pickup. I modded my T-45 with one and it is an awesome pickup. I have Pyramid flats on it and us it for Beatles and 60's music. Haven't heard it with rounds yet. I want to get another T-45 and do the same and have rounds. They are expensive but WELL worth it.

• Members

Another vote for the Darkstar pickup. I modded my T-45 with one and it is an awesome pickup. I have Pyramid flats on it and us it for Beatles and 60's music. Incredible thump. Haven't heard it with rounds yet. I want to get another T-45 and do the same and have rounds. They are expensive but WELL worth it.

Notice it was modified so the jack plate is on the body instead of the side on the bottom. I like it better.

• 5 years later...

Archived