Newbie bass amp questions

u6crash

• Members

Still doing some research on a beginner bass setup. I'm not sure what direction to look in for amps.

I've had a couple previously; a Carvin PB-200 and some 100w Crate combo. I don't know much about basses and tone quality, so I never though much was wrong with them since I wasn't playing outside of the bedroom.

Now I'm hoping to learn some better bass playing and do some recording next spring/summer. Since I'm not going to be playing live, I don't need something really loud.

Where should I start looking? I tried to do a search because I'm sure this topic has come up before, but it doesn't seem to be working.

• Members

Yorkville is a big favorite here. I have one (1x15 combo), and it's a workhorse. It does the job from jamming in my spare room to outdoor festivals.

However, if you're mostly going to be focusing on recording, you may want to look at a Sansamp box.

• Members

Well, it will mostly be for recording because I'm not in a band or anything, but I'll still want a combo because I'll want to be able to play without my PA or recording equipment.

I have no idea what I want for wattage/power. I'd really like to stay well under $400 if I could. I'm open to spending a little bit on a budget starter amp at first and spending more on a better combo later as my skills improve.

• Members

Peaveys best bang for buck imo. Also very very reliable and good sound especially with processor of choce in front of it. Little 30-40 watt10" combos are fine for bedroom, coffee house and such things. Had a couple Yorkville combos for awhile but went back to peavey for preferred sound.

• Members

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at a couple online because I'm pretty happy with my Peavy Classic 30.

That Max 115 looks like it might do the job and probably wouldn't break the bank. Another amp I looked at was the Fender Bassman 100. I like that it has an XLR output, but it is quite a bit closer to my budget limit.

• Members

A used Ampeg BA 15 maybe? The wattage may be a little overkill for bedroom practice/recording though. But you could also use it for small gigs, or even big gigs if you ran it through the PA.

Of course, I've got a 250 watt (at 8 ohm) Aguilar combo that I'm using for the exact same purpose right now. Sometimes I feel bad for not being able to crank it, but I don't want to be evicted. And that usually keeps me from diming the volume knob.

• Members

I live out in the middle of nowhere so I can be as loud as I want for the most part. I used to have a used Ampeg VT-22 guitar combo. That sucker was over 80lbs. and I'd put it on the front porch and let 'er rip. Unfortunately, vintage gear requires a lot of maintainence and it also had a tendency to shock me, so I got rid of it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but seeing as so many bass amps are solid state, why not just use a line output to the PA if you're in a band, and if you do that, why would you need an amp that was 800 watts or whatever? Do you need the presence on stage to help keep everyone in sync? Like I said, I'm more or a recorder than a performer.

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

Maybe I'm missing something, but seeing as so many bass amps are solid state, why not just use a line output to the PA if you're in a band, and if you do that, why would you need an amp that was 800 watts or whatever? Do you need the presence on stage to help keep everyone in sync? Like I said, I'm more or a recorder than a performer.

There are people who do the whole "small or no amp" direct into the PA thing. If you had something like the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI you could do that. It's basically a preamp on a direct box so you can shape the tone going to the PA. I think for a while everyone in Weezer was using a Pod.

However, not all PAs are up to the task of running bass through them. I've played places where the only thing they would run through the PA is vocals. Had I been going the Sansamp route, I would have been boned. Luckily I was playing through an 800 watt 4x10 rig at the time, so I just upped my volume a bit more than usual and was good to go. And then there are rehearsal places that have small PAs in them, which is a whole nother can of worms.

I'm of the mind that my amp is basically a personal monitor for me on stage, and if the sound guy uses the DI off of it or mics it, then it also shapes the tone for the PA. I've got to be able to hear myself above the drums, guitars, whatever is coming out of the monitors, and the noise of the venue. And bass frequencies are harder to produce than guitar frequencies, which is why they can get away with a lower wattage amp, but we need more.

• Members

I use a Yorkville BM 200 for live stuff (200 watts 1X15") and a Peavey Bassic 12 (60 watts 1X12") for church, both amps are very basic, as I use an active bass and don't need too many knobs on my amps, and both have outputs that D.I. well to a PA or recording device. I'd go with something that is bigger than you think you need, just in case you get into a situation where you need the power.

Peavey

Yorkville

Ashdown

Ampeg

They all make good smaller units that pack a punch!

( I may have left out some good amp companies, it's late and I'm getting ready to go out...no disrespect meant)

Archived