G&L Tribute basses

Narcosynthesis

• Members

Been looking at the L2000 recently, and it looks like an awesome bass, just I have no way to actually see one in person, on paper at least it looks to be on par with the MM SUB's, just made in korea (but with US pickups and so on) and the big bonus is the fact you can get them with maple fretboards

few questions though before I get too intent on trying to get one past the parents ;)

What is its neck like? comparable to a fender jazz or p or different again?

and how do they sound compared to a jazz? I love my mim jazz but have played a Musicman SUB with a humbucker which I liked the sound of, just completely different to the jazz sounds, so how does the G&L's pickups compare to those?

David

• Members

G&L's are very versitle basses. I could get just about any sound I wanted out of mine. The neck however I can't really comment on, because I don't remember and I just sold it. If I do recall correctly, it wasn't very wide, it was more like a jazz than anything else.

If you dig the sound of the SUB you will like this bass.

• Members

well, the tributes are basically to g&l what squire is to fender, right?

i wouldn't say a tribute would really compare to an actual fender

i've never played a g&l or a tribute so i wouldnt really know, but i wouldnt think that what is supposed to be the "stripped down," more affordable model of a g&l would be better than a fender... especially if we're talking MIA's or 80s japs.

• Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

well, the tributes are basically to g&l what squire is to fender, right?

i wouldn't say a tribute would really compare to an actual fender

i've never played a g&l or a tribute so i wouldnt really know, but i wouldnt think that what is supposed to be the "stripped down," more affordable model of a g&l would be better than a fender... especially if we're talking MIA's or 80s japs.

Going by price the tribute basses would at least be on par with MIM Fenders, if not better (US pickups and some hardware, and pretty flawless reviews)

David

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

Going by price the tribute basses would at least be on par with MIM Fenders, if not better (US pickups and some hardware, and pretty flawless reviews)

David

well, price isn't always the best indication of quality

but from what ive heard, the g&l's are pretty much worth what they cost, and everyone ive talked to that owns one loves the hell out of it. but i dont know about tributes

either way, you're probably right :confused:

• Members

well, price isn't always the best indication of quality

but from what ive heard, the g&l's are pretty much worth what they cost, and everyone ive talked to that owns one loves the hell out of it. but i dont know about tributes

either way, you're probably right
:confused:

From the couple reviews in the reviews section here and a magazine I have that did them a while back everything seems positive... and price usually gives you a rough guide at least :)

How the neck compares is one thing I want to hear a bit more about though, hear how it compared to a jazz

David

• Members

What is its neck like? comparable to a fender jazz or p or different again?

That's not an easy question to answer. The beauty of G&L basses is that they offer a wide variety of neck profiles as options. I believe there are 6 different profiles from which to choose. The finish and fretwork are pretty much perfect. As far as "Fender-style" basses go, G&L's are my favorite in terms of feel and build quality.

I don't know which of the available neck profiles come standard on the Tributes. Maybe someone else can chime in.

and how do they sound compared to a jazz? I love my mim jazz but have played a Musicman SUB with a humbucker which I liked the sound of, just completely different to the jazz sounds, so how does the G&L's pickups compare to those?

Again, I've never played a Tribute. A regular L-2000 has a totally different sound compared to a Fender Jazz. You can't really compare them at all. For me, an L-2000 is basically a cross between a P-Bass and a Stingray. You can't get exactly a P-Bass or a Stingray sound...but you can get awfully close to either one. Very versatile and very "smooth" sound.

Emre

• Members

Originally posted by Onkel Bob

Thunderbroom owns/owned both a tribute and a real G&L. From what he says it's not worth it to buy the real thing. The Tributes are really that good according to him.

I actually like the necks on the Tributes better...

• Members

Originally posted by ToeJamFootball

you know, i'm starting to think that jonathan_matos5 is paying forumites to start threads about Tributes just so he can show his off.

:D

you rang:D

Picture004.jpg

as for the comparison of tribute to squier. piss off:mad:

i have a local dealer of G&L in my town so i got to a/b the USA and the tribute l2000 before buying the tribute. the differences i noticed are not enough to justify spending the extra money.:thu: some of the older tribute models have scratchy pots but not the newer ones. the neck is somewhere between the size of the fender j and the fender p so for me verry comfy. the usa is i bicut neck and the tribute is routed under the fretboard to accomodate the trussrod. fretwork and setup on both was excellent with no frets sticking out anywere. both had the same electronics which can immitate the sound of a musicman stingray, fender jazz, or p bass and make up just about any other sound you can think of.

so buy a tribute with confidence and if you feel like spending the extra dough buy an amp to go with it:D

• Members

Originally posted by jonathan_matos5

*pic snip*

i have a local dealer of G&L in my town so i got to a/b the USA and the tribute l2000 before buying the tribute. the differences i noticed are not enough to justify spending the extra money.
:thu:
some of the older tribute models have scratchy pots but not the newer ones. the neck is somewhere between the size of the fender j and the fender p so for me verry comfy. the usa is i bicut neck and the tribute is routed under the fretboard to accomodate the trussrod. fretwork and setup on both was excellent with no frets sticking out anywere. both had the same electronics which can immitate the sound of a musicman stingray, fender jazz, or p bass and make up just about any other sound you can think of.

so buy a tribute with confidence and if you feel like spending the extra dough buy an amp to go with it:D

by "USA", do you mean normal G&L, rather than tribute? or MIA fenders?

if you were comparing b/t tribute and fender, then how does it tribute compare with G&L, considering price?

if not, then how does tribute compare with MIA fenders, in terms of feel, playability and tone?

• Members

if you were comparing b/t tribute and fender, then how does it tribute compare with G&L, considering price?

if not, then how does tribute compare with MIA fenders, in terms of feel, playability and tone?

HJe means USA G&L vs Tribute G&L.

• Members

lug answered that for you by comparison the tribute build quality is comparable to MIA fender but because of the preamp and all of the switches the l2000 is far more versatile than anything that fender makes. i might have to seek refuge for that statement alone. hey lug post hunt for evil so he can get a sound clip.:freak:

• Members

pic snipped

i have a local dealer of G&L in my town so i got to a/b the USA and the tribute l2000 before buying the tribute. the differences i noticed are not enough to justify spending the extra money.
:thu:
some of the older tribute models have scratchy pots but not the newer ones. the neck is somewhere between the size of the fender j and the fender p so for me verry comfy. the usa is i bicut neck and the tribute is routed under the fretboard to accomodate the trussrod. fretwork and setup on both was excellent with no frets sticking out anywere. both had the same electronics which can immitate the sound of a musicman stingray, fender jazz, or p bass and make up just about any other sound you can think of.

That sounds pretty damn good, and that looks like almost the exact bass I would want (maple neck, in either blue or natural)

The neck being slightly smaller than a p sounds perfect to me, slightly fatter than my jazz, but not too different

David

• Members

That sounds pretty damn good, and that looks like almost the exact bass I would want (maple neck, in either blue or natural)

The neck being slightly smaller than a p sounds perfect to me, slightly fatter than my jazz, but not too different

David

just remember this one is mine

• Members

lug answered that for you by comparison the tribute build quality is comparable to MIA fender but because of the preamp and all of the switches the l2000 is far more versatile than anything that fender makes. i might have to seek refuge for that statement alone. hey lug post hunt for evil so he can get a sound clip.
:freak:

You ASKED me to post an MP3?!?!?:eek::confused::eek:

Ok

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforevil.mp3

I think that's the back pup. My typical sound would be more like this. Series, active no teb boost, both pups

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforpassword.mp3

Archived