skier4467

• Members

I've decided to buy an Avatar cab for my Peavey Mark III amp head. I dont think I want a 2x12 (yet) since I have a bad back and want to keep the weight/size down.

Should I get a 2x10 or a 1x12?

Or should I go with a Ashdown cab instead?

I play in a progressive rock, blues, funk jamband. I have a Aria short scale 4string bass with one p-bass style pickup.

• Members

The 2x12 is actually very light. Its only a little over 50 pounds, which is practically the same as the 2x10. I ave the 2x10 and love it. The only complaint is that it doesnt get much low end, but im gonna add a 1x15 in the near future when one pops up on ebay. I actually almost bought the ashdown cabs as well. I like the design and have heard good things. Personally I think the avatar is a better buy. If you want to add another cab, go for the 2x10, but if you want a stand alone that 2x10 may not be enough for you.

• Members

What kind of bass are you playing? If you have a 5-string or tune to anything other than standard, go with the 1x12. Much better bass response than you will get from a standard 2x10. I have been enjoying my Avatar 1x12 (Delta, not Neo). Also, I have to second Wilki's comments, as a 2x12 will sound way better than either of the smaller cabs and the Neo speakers keep it nice and light. Good luck!!

• Members

Originally posted by AnalogKid

What kind of bass are you playing? If you have a 5-string or tune to anything other than standard, go with the 1x12. Much better bass response than you will get from a standard 2x10. I have been enjoying my Avatar 1x12 (Delta, not Neo). Also, I have to second Wilki's comments, as a 2x12 will sound way better than either of the smaller cabs and the Neo speakers keep it nice and light. Good luck!!

212 neo will stomp all over a 210 tone wise. Believe it or not though, I think that the 210 is somewhat boomier, (oh crap, I was supposed to A/B them for no-logic!!!). But, if it's between a 112 and a 210, I'd go with the 210 if, for no other reason, than the 210 is going to be a louder cab. Don't think that there'll be much of a difference when it comes to handling a B.

• Members
Originally posted by Emprov

212 neo will stomp all over a 210 tone wise. Believe it or not though, I think that the 210 is somewhat boomier, (oh crap, I was supposed to A/B them for no-logic!!!). But, if it's between a 112 and a 210, I'd go with the 210 if, for no other reason, than the 210 is going to be a louder cab. Don't think that there'll be much of a difference when it comes to handling a B.

Don't worry man. I bought a 210NEO already. I also have an SB112. I prefer the 210 for definition and volume. The 112 has better low end and all around deeper sound. The two together is heavenly.

• Members

Go with the Avatar 212 Neo.:thu:

I have a bad back too, and this cab is not a strain on my back.

You can get a hand truck at for about $20.00 at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. So you really don't even need to pick it up.

Or you could put casters on it.

The nice thing about a hand truck is that with a couple of bungee cords, you can move your entire rig in one shot.

Assuming your rig is a cab, head, bass, and a few other small pieces.:D

I've gotten lazy, I move my gear around my house with a handtruck and/or furniture dollies.

• Members

Especially getting ready for a gig, a handtruck will spare you from the total exertion of setting up your rig and PA if you must.

Sometimes I have felt like a {censored} for using the handtruck, but after all the work of setting up for the gig, I am fresh and good to go!

• Members

Originally posted by flip333

Especially getting ready for a gig, a handtruck will spare you from the total exertion of setting up your rig and PA if you must.

Sometimes I have felt like a {censored} for using the handtruck, but after all the work of setting up for the gig, I am fresh and good to go!

I have casters on all my bass cabs, PA rack, and subs - and use a caster board for my tops - although I *might* invest in a handtruck for general use... I refuse to sacrifice sound for portability, but there IS wisdom in making things as easy as possible on your body...

- georgestrings

• Members

Originally posted by no-logic

I prefer the 210 for definition and volume. The 112 has better low end and all around deeper sound. The two together is heavenly.

I also have an Avatar 212, 210, and 112. I agree with no-logic about the 210 and 112 together is sheer bliss. What one lacks the other makes up for. If you are heavy on the B string then grab the 112 because the 210 loses authority on the low notes. But the 210 is cleaner and louder so it just depends on what you need. The 212 trumps both of them but I have casters on my cab so it is easy to move. As a single cab the 212 is best but for portability I say go with the 112. I have done coffehouse gigs with the 112 and it kills.

• Members

Don't worry man. I bought a 210NEO already. I also have an SB112. I prefer the 210 for definition and volume. The 112 has better low end and all around deeper sound. The two together is heavenly.

that would be my statement as well....I own a 210 and 112 (both deltas) and have gigged both extensively...I'll go with no-logic exactly....c-d

• Members

You know, every time I've paired them together, the 210 exhibits the deeper low end and the 212 better articulation. Just the opposite of what you'd expect. So is the 210 giving you what you're after for the practice space?

Archived