i need some inspiration

Bassius

• Members

Denson, send me your snail mail addy and I'll send off some stuff that's been ringin' my bells on a CD. As you may guess, it may not be the usual fare, and it won't necessarily be "by bassists, for bassists" sorta material. Some Jazz, some Classical, some other stuff, including well-written pop.

When I'm in a rut, I listen to the stuff I really liked as a kid and analyze it with the ears I have now. I also pick apart and analyze "The Goldberg Variations".

Ain't no shame to ask God to to help, either :)

• Members

Have you tried listening to some new music, or something outside your comfort zone? A different bass? A different environment? Have you just tried jamming with people? Or have you tried listening to the environment around you?

I find that I get my best inspirations from going out and seeing others perform, since it inspires me to play and practice more, as does simply listening to the sounds of the environment around me.

You could also explore some new areas of theory, although I don't think that that would help in your case. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Bassius

i haven't been able to write anything cool in a long time....help

any ideas? my music is crapin out here

I will rent music and/or bass DVDs, bass or guitar instructional videos, or YouTube - or all of the above. For music, I will look for live footage of bands/acts/singers/players I have liked that I haven't heard in awhile. For the instructional video, either DVD or YouTube, I will scroll around until I see "Hey, I never heard of this guy" and see what hes all about. A lot of times I will try to find an unorthodox technique and start applying it..which will usually lead to some newer music. Trolling MySpace Music works well for my "writer's block" too. Lately, I have been enjoying checking out HCBF members sites, MySpaces, and music for inspiration and ideas

Take Care, Man. I hope any of this is useful to you

DRF

• Members

a) get away from music and work at another craft, be it cooking or photography. It's all related anyway, but the shift in perspective helps me a great deal.

b) play with VERY different musicians at a jam or the like. If you have to, play a different instrument. For example, playing hand percussion at the local blues jams helped me be a more spontaneous bassist in the cover band. Playing bass in a cover band helped me be a better pianist when doing my originals at church. Right now, the jams I'm co-hosting are attracting a lot of bluegrass people that get freaked out when I start playing urban grooved to their down-home playin'. Seeing them "get it" is a great experience, and they walk away feeling like they've had a tremendous growth experience. It's awesome for me to simply be a part of that. We only allow *1* blues jam per session too. :D Actually, it's those jams that have allowed me to start writing again on my bass. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

Get out of the city and take a walk. Find a nice spot, lay down and close your eyes, just listening to what's going on around you. Not only will that remind you of nature's music, it'll provide a huge dose of de-stress as well.
:thu:

good idea, if it were june! is 12 degrees F here lol

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

Get out of the city and take a walk. Find a nice spot, lay down and close your eyes, just listening to what's going on around you. Not only will that remind you of nature's music, it'll provide a huge dose of de-stress as well.

I like the way you're thinking :thu:

More people need to do this.

• Members

Originally posted by 82Daion

Have you tried listening to some new music, or something outside your comfort zone? A different bass? A different environment? Have you just tried jamming with people? Or have you tried listening to the environment around you?

I find that I get my best inspirations from going out and seeing others perform, since it inspires me to play and practice more, as does simply listening to the sounds of the environment around me.

You could also explore some new areas of theory, although I don't think that that would help in your case.
;)

• Members

Originally posted by bassgirl9

Open jams can work. It is sometimes painful and godaweful but sometimes some one new will drift into town with some actual talent.

I'm sure it's this way elsewhere, but the problem with our jams is that they're all blues/folk jams...with an emphasis on blues.:rolleyes:

HoWeVeR...

our coffee shop jams only allow *1* traditional blues tune per session. :D I'll allow the bluegrass or blues people to start with a lick, then I add something REALLY groovy on top and it eventually opens into something REALLY cool. ...kinda Flecktones-ish, if I may. :)

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

I'm sure it's this way elsewhere, but the problem with our jams is that they're all blues/folk jams...with an emphasis on blues.
:rolleyes:
HoWeVeR...

our coffee shop jams only allow *1* traditional blues tune per session.
:D
I'll allow the bluegrass or blues people to start with a lick, then I add something REALLY groovy on top and it eventually opens into something REALLY cool. ...kinda Flecktones-ish, if I may.
:)

You should start making some MP3s of it and post 'em! :thu:

Archived