The 3rd Annual "What Gear Did You Buy This Year" Thread

Phantasm

• Members

Originally posted by Vinny D

I got a long list, my pocket is still hurting!

:D

I see you're another bass player who also maintains the PA.

I made a conscious decision that I was only going to spend on the instrument I actually play this past year (after many years of buying mics for singers when I didn't sing, and drum mics w hen I didn't play drums, and SM-57's when I didn't play guitar, mountains of cables that people abuse because they didn't pay for them, etc.)

• Members

Peavey T-40

Warmoth/Alder Jazz

SX Jazz

Squier Vintage PBass

G&L L-2000 Tribute

Ampeg SVT Classic

Kustom Groovebass 1200H

Ampeg B2R

Ampeg 410he

Ampeg 1510he

Sennheiser freePORT Wireless (which is for sale, haha)

Peavey 2310 Mixer

Lexicon Effects Processor

Mackie 1400i Power Amp

10 space rack with mixer top combo

Cables, Strings, etc.

I believe that's it. I live in the middle of nowhere so there's no real chance of trying any gear out, so I had to buy it and use it for a while then trade or sell it off if I didn't like it. Plus money from gigs payed for just about everything. Which is a good thing considering I'm still in college, haha.

• Members

Originally posted by s4001

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Every Wal I've played has been a gem.
:(

That's what I heard from everyone before I got the Wal, and that's what made it so disappointing after it became obvious that it just wasn't going to work.

I try to be the devil's advocate now when people get serious Wal-lust and lament that the prices have jumped to the stratosphere with almost 0 availability, because if it didn't work out for me perhaps it won't work out for others and I can help to lessen the pain!

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

That's what I heard from everyone before I got the Wal, and that's what made it so disappointing after it became obvious that it just wasn't going to work.

I try to be the devil's advocate now when people get serious Wal-lust and lament that the prices have jumped to the stratosphere with almost 0 availability, because if it didn't work out for me perhaps it won't work out for others and I can help to lessen the pain!

I guess that holds true for any instrument made of wood. Some > others. At least with an instrument like that, you don't lose your money.

• Members

this thread is a great therapy. I'm not alone to suffer from regular GAS attacks... Here we go:

MixWiz3 mixing board

dbx1215 eq

symetrix dual compressor

2 Beta58 microphones

1 AT3035 microphone

4 NX550P Yorkville powered speakers

Musicman Sterling HH4

Fender MIM P-Bass

Sadowsky MV5

Sansamp Bass driver DI Programmable

EBS Multicomp

EBS Octabass

Yamaha DGX-620 Portable grand

Dell laptop computer

8-space SKB rack

2-space rack drawer

plus strings and cables and cds

Merry X-Mas!

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

I see you're another bass player who also maintains the PA.

I made a conscious decision that I was only going to spend on the instrument I actually play this past year (after many years of buying mics for singers when I didn't sing, and drum mics w hen I didn't play drums, and SM-57's when I didn't play guitar, mountains of cables that people abuse because they didn't pay for them, etc.)

You mean the bass player is NOT supposed to buy all the gear for the band:eek:

How come I did not get that memo:confused:

• Members

Conklin GT-5

I dig this bass, it's feel and looks. I'm not too psyched about the tone - uneven from string to string.

Ibanez Ric-copy

This bass is great. It sounds good, plays quite well and gets a lot of positive comments from audiences. Unfortunately, its also a one-trick pony. It'll be hard to say goodbye to this one.

Mesa Venture 2x12 combo

By far the best amp I've owned and the best that I've had a chance to play through. Its got girth and punch without being muddy. The gain on this is probably my favorite "tone-shaper". Below 12o'clock its nothing but articulate and punchy. Past 12, its the tube pre really kicks in and gives it great presence.

Boss Tuner Pedal

Boss Super Octave Pedal - bought it yesterday, still figuring things out..

and just purchased yesterday...Musicman Stingray5 HH:D

Pics and reviews will be coming shortly.

The Conklin and Ibby will be on their way out to help me pay for the Stingray.

• Members

Alright.. probably gonna cry when I get to the end of the list cause I'll realise how much I have spent. But still, I started working full time earlier this year and still live at home... so the expendable income was nice this year.

Ok so this year:

Lakland Skyline 44-01 Fretless

Tokai PRS Knock off (added a new bridge and pickups)

Seagull Acoustic Guitar (bought it as a college graduation gift)

Effects and others:

MI Audio Crunch Box

Boss Blues Driver

Dunlop Bass Crybaby

Barge Concepts VRR-2

EHX Little Big Muff

Dunlop DC Brick and Voodoo Labs PP2

A new pedal board

All new cables for everything

SM57 and 58 Mics

A ton of bass strings (I was gigging enough where I was changing strings at least once a month on average)

heres some pics of the instruments

Tokai-small.jpgSeagull-small.jpgLakland-small.jpg

• Members

Hmmm... I think just my amp and cab, and the MIJ Jazz. Sold an assload of pedals and effects in the past couple months, so I should be making a big purchase or 2 early in the new year (Carl Martin Quattro for my guitar :)) But my buddy just dropped of my Music Man HD 212 cab and Roland KC500 that i left in b'more when we moved last year, so its almost like its new :)

• Members

EHX Little Big Muff

Thats it :(

I am still in a bit of a love hate relationship with it, sometimes it nails the tone I am after, sometimes it just isn't quite there, but it does the job for now

Major GAS for a Musicman Sterling - was looking at the SUB's but there is a rather large lack of them in shops now, and I figured if I wait about a bit I may be able to get a full model (with a maple fretboard like I would really like) secondhand for a decent price

David

• Members

At the beginning of the year I landed a well paying job, so this was my year to buy gear.

2004 Jetglow 4003 Ric

SX P/J in Sunburst - my main bass. I love it.

SX Fretless J in Lake Placid Blue

SX P in Grey

Genz Benz GBE600

Road Ready 4U

Korg Rackmount Tuner

Furman rackmount powerstrip

I think that's it. (oh and cables and strings obviously).

Archived