The 3rd Annual "What Gear Did You Buy This Year" Thread

Phantasm

• Members

So what gear did you buy this year and how do you like it?

This was a busy year for me:

MTD 435 - I went to Disneyworld and passed by Bass Central, and for the 2nd trip in a row Beaver talked me into a bass! So far I've been happy with the bass, it's a fine instrument and one of the few 4-string MTD's out there. It's got a redwood top with a wenge/wenge neck and it's just a sweet instrument. I played a lot of things while I was there and this one just spoke to me. It's already on several tracks of the new Menagerie CD.

Rogue 8-String - I got this on the MF "Stupid Deals" last week and so far it's pretty damn spiffy. I had to adjust the neck/intonation and set it up but now that I have, it's going to make a track on the next Menagerie CD. Not bad for $179.99.

Wal Mk-I 4-string - I searched high and low for this one, and paid a kings ransom for it. Then I got it in and was disapointed... I tried hard, I tried everything but she just would not sing for me. Turned it over 2 months later for a kings and queens ransom and used the proceeds for my trip to Bass Central (see MTD 435, which ended up being what I was hoping the Wal would be.)

Bass Pod XT Pro - I finally broke down and got a rackmountable Bass Pod XT. I've been using the Bass Pods since they came out, so I've got it fairly under control with a few patches that make me happy. The best thing that this unit has added is the ability to reamp with the SPDIF out of my sound card as input... this means I don't really need to commit to a bass sound for recording until the mixing stage! Really nice plus.

Aphex Bass Exciter - I don't care for this one much at all. You can only adjust the input gain with a pad switch, so most of my basses are either too loud and clipping or too soft using this unit.

Fulltone Bassdrive - Lots has been said about this one, it's a nice unit with tubescreamer style distortion. It is generally pretty good for a distortion pedal about not killing the low end. I haven't worked it into my rig yet but I could see it happening if i tried in the right situations.

EBS Multidrive - Another great pedal that goes from light overdrive to heavier drive. I find it cuts a little highs, but that's not always a bad thing. Another excellent OD.

EBS Octabass - Really great octaver. Tracks very fast. Like most octavers it doesn't always do great with open strings or the lowest notes, it depends on the bass that I'm using. My Lakland works best with it.

EBS Unichorus - Like the other EBS effects, it's a very nice unit and very compact. Easy to get a great sounding chorus or an over the top one even if you're into that whole "I'm-covering-nonpoint-and-i-want-that-overly-dramatic-chorus" thing.

I think that's it, I'll edit again if I remember anything else. It was a long year filled with gear purchases to kill the pain of home remodeling thanks to the Hurricane...

So what did everyone else buy?

• Members

Well, a totally sweet LeCompte STSS5, got a Warmoth Z guitar completed, a Genz Benz GBE750, I think I also bought my SWR 12 pack and 12 stack this year, a Mesa vertical 212 Recifier cab. Still, the year is still young, I'm sure there's time for one more big purchase...;)

• Members

80's Fender MIJ Jazz Bass Special - Fretted

This has become my main bass. It just feels right in my hands.

80's Fender MIJ Jazz Bass Special - Fretless

I sold my T-40FL to el_dude and decided on a fretless with no lines. I bought this before I bought the bass above, and it's playability is the reason that I bought the fretted version.

PVC EUB

Built by our very own beatcatcher. On two separate occasions I've had veteran sound guys offer glowing praise of this bass. It's kinda awkward for me to play, but I love the sound and the looks I get from the crowd each time I play it.

Prima 3/4 Upright

My last gear purchase of the year. If you would have told me that I would have purchased an upright this year, I would have likely just looked at you like this: :freak: Truth be told, I'm really glad I bought this and look forward to improving dramatically on it.

Peavey ValveKing 112

I wanted an inexpensive tube amplifier for my rehearsal space in my basement. This was a good deal and a good choice.

Peavey 24FX Mixer

This is a really nice mixer that has many gigs under its belt and is a mixer that I would not hesitate to recommend.

Yamaha CP2000 Power Amp

I already own one. This was purchased to add to our PA power.

Korg DTR-2 Rack Tuner

Got this from bpocall for a steal. It's in my rack now.

Behringer BTR2000 Rack Tuner

Bought it because it was/is cheap. It does not track the low B well at all but has a really cool light.

;)

Zoom H4 Digital Recorder

What a great gadget! I got this for recording band rehearsals and for recording direct to my computer when the urge hits me.

Boss LS-2

Great for switching between basses live. I use it at every gig now and can switch between the MIJ Fender and the upright in less than 10 seconds.

Aphex Punch Factory

Nice, simple compressor.

Aphex Bass Exciter

I like it and use it with the PVC EUB and the URB...specifically for it's DI function. This allows the soundguy to have a separate signal for the aforementioned basses (depending on which I bring to the gig) and my other bass(es).

• Members

SX Jazz Ash Body

SX Jazz fretless Lake Placid Blue

SX Fretless white $99 special

'89 Fender MIJ Power Jazz Special

Samick lucite body clear guitar

Fender Acoustic Bass

'83 Peavey T-40 burgundy wine colored

EB MusicMan Stingray ( traded with 1tallbassguy)

Ibanez SoundGear SD-905 early 90s 5-String

Hamer Chapperal 12-String Bass

Hartke 3500 head

theres more..........

Items lost this year:

Fender Roscoe Beck IV (traded to 1tallbassguy)

early 90s Marshall Bass Head (blew up)

Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass

Dean Rhapsody 12-String Bass

one of two Yorkville 2X10 combos (blew up)

Line6 BassPod (died)

theres more..........

• Members

GK1001rbII

Spector Legend 5

SX Telecaster guitar

Boss TU-2 pedal tuner

Boss GE-7B Bass EQ pedal

Road Ready 4U rack

And then I made a series of trades:

Laney 2x15-->Peavey 1820-->Danelectro Longhorn-->Peavey Millennium BXP (sold).

Oh, and I built the Ghettotron.:D

C7

• Members

SX Jazz

Gibson Flying V guitar

Art and Lutherie cedar top acoustic

Sure SM58

A bunch of cheap junk I probably forgot about

I'm very happy with all three instruments. All of them have become my main playing choices for their respective domains. The SM58 has also become my most used mic, mostly because I haven't bothered to unpack my other mics since I moved in September. The cheap junk may or may not have been useful. I don't really keep track of that stuff.

I'm working on a song right now that incorporates all of the above. I might edit this post to include it if this thread is still kind of fresh when I finish it (and if I remember).

• Members

Peavey 410TXF

Peavey 1810

Peavey Combo 300

Fender MIJ Jazz Special(defretted)

Fender P Bass Special

SX P bass fretless(sold neck, and combined body w/MIM Jazz fretted neck I aquired w/ the MIJ Jazz Special - now known as Franken J)

Epi Les Paul Studio Goth

Legend 412 guitar cab

Boss TU-2 tuner

Oh, and I bought a small PA:

Ross 15+horn tops, and 18" subs - EV loaded, though

(2) QSC 850 USA amps

Mackie 808s

DBX 223XL

TONS of cables, mics, and stands

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but that's the bulk of it...

- georgestrings

• Members

all of my gear was bought this year however i started learning bass this year:thu:

since start of 2006 i purchased a ibanez jumpstart pack which came witha gsr 180 and a crappy 10 watt amp. i traded that and bought a washburn ab10 and a behringer bx600 amp:freak:, that combonation of gear really sucked, so i bought a ap400mj fromthe bass company :thu:, then i traded the washburn ab10 towards the purchase of a trubute l2000 :love:

man what you will do for GAS ans looking for "that sound":D

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

'74 Ric 4001

Brice 8-string bass

Traynor YBA 200 head

Radial Engineering JDI DI box

Bayoux cables, webstrings strings, etc

What about that semi hollow fretless fenfer? :wave:

• Members

Let's see...

A GK700RB that I sold again.

A GK Neo115 and Neo112 also sold.

A few peals: EHX Q-Tron, EBS UniChorus and OctaBass.

No wait... The Q-tron was a birthday present.

Some cables.

And this:

Picture007.jpg

Not the basss thoug, just the rig.

Edit: Oh and I got a GK800RB with that Trace cab. Just forgot about it because I've loaned it out to a friend that's going to buy it, hopefully, pretty soon...

• Members

Just about everything in my Sig. except:

1977 Fender Jazz Bass

1997 Warrior Model III 5-String

1991 Ampeg SVT-II (Non-Pro) Head

Boss GT-6B Pedalboard

All my other gear burned up when our rehearsal facility burned down. These 4 pieces were at my house when the place caught fire. All the other gear listed in my Sig. is new.

• Members

I got a long list, my pocket is still hurting!

Here we go:

MM SR4

MixWiz

(2) DBX1231

(1) DBX2031

DBX266XL

(2) QSC PLX2402

(2) QSC PLX3002

(1) QSC PLX3402

Ashley XR1001

Lexicon MX200(?)

Audio Logic quad gate

(2) Yamaha CW218V (subs)

(4) Yamaha CM15V (monitors)

(2) Carvin TRX153 (3-way PA cabs)

Roland TD-12S drum kit

16/8 ETI 100' reel snake

(3) Furman PL8-Plus

DBX215

Eden WT1205

G&L SB-2 Fretless

(2) SKB 12-space racks

SKB 12 space pop up mixer case

Too many new speaker and mic cables to think of!

I think thats about it..Can't wait for next years gear budget

:D

Ooops, I don't know if I should count this as gear or not but I did just get (2-weeks old) a 06 Toyota Tundra 4-door pickup to help haul all my gear:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

Wal Mk-I 4-string - I searched high and low for this one, and paid a kings ransom for it. Then I got it in and was disapointed... I tried hard, I tried everything but she just would not sing for me. Turned it over 2 months later for a kings and queens ransom and used the proceeds for my trip to Bass Central (see MTD 435, which ended up being what I was hoping the Wal would be.)

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Every Wal I've played has been a gem. :(

I got a SMV Jazz bass and am loving it.

I ordered the Ric 75th DCM limited edition. Unlikely they will produce it by years end, but we will see.

Other than strings, them's about it.

Archived