Geddy Lee sound

medvejonok

• Members

Hi there, I am playing a Fender Jazz through a 100W Fender Rumble amp. What is the most straightforward way (pre-amp, effects, eq, etc.) to get a good Geddy Lee sound out of my amp? His live sound has a lot of attack, twang, rumble, and a nice full body to it, which I have found hard to pull off. Any ideas? By the way, I know someone is going to want to answer, "First of all, play like Geddy," so let's just get that out of the way, shall we.

• CMS Author

By the way, I know someone is going to want to answer, "First of all, play like Geddy," so let's just get that out of the way, shall we.

Well, that doesn't leave much. Because it's the right answer here.

You can really go crazy trying to copy someone's tone. Keep in mind that most get their tone from a LOT of very careful processing. You could possibly duplicate this if you have access to their gear. But it still leaves out the fact that tone is indeed in the fingers, and unless you've got the same technique, you're out of luck.

You may find it better to just get 'close enough', and spend more time finding a unique tone that's yours and developing that.

• Members
yes he does thier just under the stage

QUOTE]

I can guarantee that in Columbus Ohio on the last two tours, there were no amps under the stage. I was on the stage, and know that there is no "under" to it, it's solid concrete. There were no amps or speakers behind him (where the clothes dryers and snack machine were), which led me to believe that he was going direct to the board, and just using a front fill monitor. If you've read something in a mag, I'd love to see it, but there were no amps (and no bass cabs) anywhere near him on stage.

Oh yeah, the dryters were mic'ed.:thu:

Old Geddy Get a Rickenbacker 4001 and a marshall amp and pick at the back pup

I've heard in two places that he doesn't use a pick. In one, he said he uses fingernails, and in the other, it was reported that, due to a childhood injury, he has a scar on the tip of on of his fingers that is raised and hard, which he uses as a pick.

• Members

I can guarantee that in Columbus Ohio on the last two tours, there were no amps under the stage. I was on the stage, and know that there is no "under" to it, it's solid concrete. There were no amps or speakers behind him (where the clothes dryers and snack machine were), which led me to believe that he was going direct to the board, and just using a front fill monitor. If you've read something in a mag, I'd love to see it, but there were no amps (and no bass cabs) anywhere near him on stage.

Oh yeah, the dryters were mic'ed.
:thu:

He still uses a Trace-Elliot, however it is not on the onstage backline, but rather underneath the stage, for low-frequency emphasis, so he can feel the bass, along with hearing the notes, through his ear monitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee

second paragraph in the "instruments" section:p

but im pretty sure he whent back to ampeg for recording atleast

Archived