Black Sabbath tunings

Shuma Gorath

• Members

A couple of friends of mine are wanting to start a doom project and want to learn some early Sabbath tunes.

Can someone please tell me what tunings they used on each album. Don't tell me for each song just tell me like, "This album was in standard with a couple of songs in drop-D."

Sure do appreciate the help guys. The only Black Sabbath albums I own are the two they did with Dio and if I'm not mistaken those are in Eb.

Thanks again guys

• Members

Sabbath tuned to E on the first album, didn't they? I have a demo from early on that's in Eb, but the actually release is in E. Master of Reality is down to C# for most of it, I think.

E and C# are the two main ones.

• Members

A couple of friends of mine are wanting to start a doom project and want to learn some early Sabbath tunes.

Can someone please tell me what tunings they used on each album. Don't tell me for each song just tell me like, "This album was in standard with a couple of songs in drop-D."

Sure do appreciate the help guys. The only Black Sabbath albums I own are the two they did with Dio and if I'm not mistaken those are in Eb.

Thanks again guys

i have played everything from the first 7 albums in standard tuning and never had a problem

• Members

IIRC Tony tuned his guitar down to cope with the loss of his index and middle fingers. The down tuning allowed him to bend strings with his pinky

No, he didn't lose the whole fingers, just the first knuckles, causing him immense pain when he played. So they wrote in drop-tuning and he wore rubber thimbles over those fingers to reduce the pain.

• Members

No, he didn't lose the whole fingers, just the first knuckles, causing him immense pain when he played. So they wrote in drop-tuning and he wore rubber thimbles over those fingers to reduce the pain.

actually it was just the tips of 2 fingers

no need to overdramatize

• Members

tuned in standard E,A,D,G,B,E on guitar

E,A,D,G on bass

Yeah.

Tony tuned down to C#, and then played songs in the key of E, so he could play the same as normal, but just higher up the neck. This gave him much lower string tension, so that he could use his weaker pinky for all the bends.

EDIT: Crap...still logged in as Mozart....sorry

• Members

Yeah.

Tony tuned down to C#, and then played songs in the key of E, so he could play the same as normal, but just higher up the neck. This gave him much lower string tension, so that he could use his weaker pinky for all the bends.

EDIT: Crap...still logged in as Mozart....sorry

Hmmm, very interesting. I will have to relay this info.

Thanks for all the help guys. :thu:

Archived