Who were the first bass players you really took notice of?

TN.Frank

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

first music I heard bass on that made me notice was Fran Sheehan on the first Boston record.

I read somewhere recently that Tom Scholz actually played the bass parts on that album! I think I may be able to dig it up if you're interested.

• Members

When I was young and growing up with 60's music I really didn't pay any attention to the bass or what it was doing - I just loved the music. The first bassist that really made me sit up take notice was Jim Fielder on the first two BS&T records. After I started playing the thing, then of Entwistle, Bruce, McCartney all became a lot more interesting.

The first guy I saw live that really knocked my socks off was Chris Squire on their first US tour - it was just a couple weeks after Wakeman joined the band.

• Members

My first big bass influence was John Entwistle, I loved the Who and they were the first band where I specifically payed ATTENTION to the bass. The second was a guy named Richard Cousins, who was the bass player for the Robert Cray Band in the '80s. I saw them live in '84, and it was the first time I really noticed how a bass player was responsoble for the groove. I was totally taken with the band, and Cousins in particular. I started playing bass a few months later.

• Members

Looks like more then a few Geddy Lee fans and even a couple other Steve Harris fans as well. I've heard most of the other bass players mentioned but for the most part they blended in with the songs so well that I didn't hear them too. Geddy Lee was the first bass player that I heard where his playing really stood out from the music, same with Steve Harris, you could HEAR them play, they didn't just blend in. Still, all the players mentioned are excellent choices to pattern yourself after, all have sucessfully been in bands and made loads of cash doing what they love. Even though I'm pushing 46 I'd still like to think that if I could get a decent band together I'd have a few good years left to cut some CD's, play and earn some cash. That's my dream and I'm not going to let it die until I do. Call me crazy(my wife does.) but as long as I can pick up my bass I think there's still hopes of getting a band together and doing something that'll last.

• Members

Suzi Quatro!!!!! Man did I want to peel those leather pants off of her!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I wanted to play that hot g-string!!! Hot bass playing chick......................WWWOOOWWWWWEEEEEEEE!!!:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Johnny, ( I gots to go to the bathroom,) Duart!

Archived