Who were the first bass players you really took notice of?

TN.Frank

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought
just for that vid. It's nice to view it on the TV screen. Can't say that I really watch any of the others though.

I have that one also - for the exact same reason.

But, it really does suck when this one is mo better. Look at the number of performances on this version versus the one that we have.

Edit - just notice you're in Dearborn. I worked at National Steel years ago starting up a galv. line - in the middle of winter. Man - I really did enjoy myself. This was when the Pistons were still in the previous arena.

• Members

Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee and James Jamerson.

I'm amazed by all three of those guys for their creativity and note choices underneath the chords, especially 7th chords, and other complex chord structures. Those guys playing can make you disregard the other instruments and just listen to them. Especially because they were all in their 20's when they played their best stuff and that is very impressive. A very unusual creativity gift.

No disrespect to other greats like Jaco, Hamm, Sheehan, Berlin, Nathan East, Victor Wooten, etc.. In fact, just on chops the latter are almost certainly better than the 1st three. It's just that for me, music is a lot more than technique.

• Members

I'm sure that I've heard a lot of great bass players in the many bands that I've listened to over the years. As of late two that's caught my eye are John Myung and Billy Sheehan but the ones that I took notice of back in my guitar days where I said "Wow, that bass sounds really cool." would probably be Geddy Lee of Rush first and Steve Harris of Iron Maiden second. Both played in a way that really made me listen to what they were doing rather then just seeing the bass as a background instrument. Who were some of the first bass players that you really took notice of?

That's totally cool! The first time I noticed the bass was in the Maiden song "Invaders" and the second time was at the end of Temples of Syrinx from Rush.

• Members

I already named the players for me, but someone mentioned solos so i'll give my old school picks for them.

One standout is the bass solo on the song "Get Ready" by Rare Earth.

Another back in the day one is Lou Reeds Rock and Roll Animal Live, the "Intro" to Sweet Jane. That little solo is still kick ass to this day.

Archived