Which SX bass?

dragon9666

• Members

They're so cheap, you can treat them like Pokemons: "Gotta catch 'em all":D

I've got GAS for the 5string fretless Jazz. Any jazz you get will be OK I guess, although I never had one.

If you're going to mod it, then it doesn't really matter which one you get. If you like the Jazz sound, then get a Jazz and mod it. If you want a P sound, grab a P. Simple as that. The woods are practically the same, except for the Ash bodies. What you mod is what will define the sound you get IMO.

• Members

I have a SX Jazz bass and just aquired a SX P bass. I like the P bass the best. It just feels right to me. It has a thicker neck that feels substancial. I plan on modding it with all Fender 62 reissue pickups, controls, tuning pegs, and a nice pick guard !

• Members

Thanks,:thu:

I just want a great sounding beater bass that I can take to gig with.

I wont lose any bottom with the jazz playing in a 3pc,will I? (Hold you breath Rush fans):p

I'm leaning toward the P/J but want to be sure.

Did someone here have sound clips of the two(P and Jazz)?

If I remember right, they did.

• Members

I liked my SX P/J. For me, personally, the P/J combo is hard to beat. Of course, you get the classic p-bass tone, which is hard to go wrong with, but importantly for me, you also have a two-pickup tone at your disposal. It's not that I prefer the P/J two-pickup tone to the Jazz's two-pickup tone, it's just that I like the ability to have that tone and the P-bass tone in one bass.

Definitely a workhorse instrument to me.

Dustin

• Members

I have the SX SPB-57 I like it.it is bone stock, I havent changed anything on it.

I do have a few questions for you guys. I do not think I have ever played a J bass but wouldnt mind one.

I have played a fender PJ special and really liked the tonal varieties.

questions.

whats the difference between the all J's they got at rondo

they got the 62 mg 62 C and CT and the 75

I know the numbers is the year but whats with the letter.

personally I like the 75 and the 62 ct

also to all you who already have the SPB. the sides of the frets are sharp on my bass. how do you file them down. I mean with what a regular metal file and be careful of the wood or is there a "special" filling tool for guitars?

• Members

I have the SX SPB-57 I like it.it is bone stock, I havent changed anything on it.

I do have a few questions for you guys. I do not think I have ever played a J bass but wouldnt mind one.

questions.

also to all you who already have the SPB. the sides of the frets are sharp on my bass. how do you file them down. I mean with what a regular metal file and be careful of the wood or is there a "special" filling tool for guitars?

bump

• Members

questions.

I'm thinking they are colour codes.

BK - black

QMD - quilted maple ?

C - covers

CT - covers and tort gaurd.

As for the frets. Mine have been perfect. I set-up a friends cheap bass a couple years ago and just used a normal file on the sides of the frets. Just go very slow and be very careful not to touch the wood. You can put some masking tape between the frets as well so you gouge the tape before the neck.

• Members

I'm thinking they are colour codes.

BK - black

QMD - quilted maple ?

C - covers

CT - covers and tort gaurd.

As for the frets. Mine have been perfect. I set-up a friends cheap bass a couple years ago and just used a normal file on the sides of the frets. Just go very slow and be very careful not to touch the wood. You can put some masking tape between the frets as well so you gouge the tape before the neck.

thanks James

• Members

questions.

I think it has to do with one 62 having a Maple board and one having Rosewood.

Archived