OT: Another car thread

Svi

• Members

Anyone here have a VW? If so, how do you like it?
I was really set on the CRV that I drove over the weekend. I love the CRV because it gets great gas mileage. However, they are in very high demand right now and I can't get one for less than sticker. And I don't like the previous model.

So, I drove a Toureg. I fell in love. Crappy gas mileage, but this baby is loaded and it's the perfect mommy mobile. I can't afford a new one, but the pre owned ones are in my price range. I also fell in love with the Passat. They have an all wheel drive option and look & feel very well built. I'm pretty sure it has enough room for the little one. I only have a few more months to make my decision, and the sooner the better.

Does anyone have a VW??? How has she treated you???

• Members
Have you taken a look at the Toyota RAV4?

Thanks for the heads-up on the CRV as it's on our short list.

And thanks (I think) for turning me on to King of Cars.

:freak:

I called the Toyota dealership, but they don't have Navigation! Crazy. I don't know why. And with my horrible sense of direction, I need one. It's still on my list though.

King of Cars is a great show. Chop cracks me up.

• Members

I've had two cars in my lifetime and both were VW Golfs. Great cars. The next car that I'm looking as is an X terra and after only owning VW's and coming from a family of VW owners I'm a little leary of buying a car from another company.
I'll say it again though they are great cars.

• Members

I'm leary too but so far the people that have owned them have had good experiences. I've always been a Honda girl and I'm leary about switching too-but we'll see what happens. I'm going back tonight to drive the Passat.

• CMS Author

I called the Toyota dealership, but they don't have Navigation! Crazy. I don't know why. And with my horrible sense of direction, I need one.

So get a portable unit. At least then oyu can take it with you when you use or buy another car, instead of rebuying the an overpriced factory install.

• Members

I'm leary too but so far the people that have owned them have had good experiences. I've always been a Honda girl and I'm leary about switching too-but we'll see what happens. I'm going back tonight to drive the Passat.

I'm a die-hard Honda fan, and two of my closest friends are VeeWees. I must say, I'm very very impressed with the durability of the VW's. My friend drives an '03 Jetta, and once on a road trip his master ground shorted out and all the electronics in the car pooped. Car kept running, and he managed to make it home to a VW mechanic. THAT'S impressive.

• Members
Jetta.jpg

My two babies in MI the year before last, doing the "wine trail."
Aesthetically, I still feel it's just about the best looking sedan on the road. Why, oh why, did they have to make the new ones look like every other Eastern import. As far as the rest of the quality, well, it's not like owning an American or Eastern built car. It can be frustrating at times with all the nickel and dime stuff, but hopefully, much of that is being addressed with their recent production.

• Members

I've got the previous CRV and its the only car Ive said that i'd keep indefinitely. The Longer we own it, the more we love it.

My Accord OTOH, not so much. It'll be sold once I figure out a suitable replacement that worthwhile enough to make me want to make large payments again.

• Members
My two babies in MI the year before last, doing the "wine trail."Aesthetically, I still feel it's just about the best looking sedan on the road. Why, oh why, did they have to make the new ones look like every other Eastern import. As far as the rest of the quality, well, it's not like owning an American or Eastern built car. It can be frustrating at times with all the nickel and dime stuff, but hopefully, much of that is being addressed with their recent production.

I like the look of the old Jettas and Passats but really like the new ones too. I'm starting to think the wagons are kind of cool too :o

What do you mean by the nickel and dime stuff?

If I do buy certified pre owned, the warranty is extended 24,000 miles, which is a big plus.

• Members
I owned a VW jetta from 1997-2000 and had no problems with it.[/quote

Before I bought my Sentra, I was considering a Jetta...the one I actually looked at had a broken hinge on the glove box so the door fell off in my hand when I opened it.

When I checked with a car buyer friend of mine, he said it was typical and would not consider owning a Jetta because of the QC issues.

Just my .02 cents....

On the other hand, I owned a Scirocco back in the 80s and it was probably the most maintenance free auto I've ever owned....

4402501201.jpg

• Members
I like the look of the old Jettas and Passats but really like the new ones too. I'm starting to think the wagons are kind of cool too
:o

What do you mean by the nickel and dime stuff?

If I do buy certified pre owned, the warranty is extended 24,000 miles, which is a big plus.

Well, the newer crop of VW's come *packed* with features...features that seem to break down much sooner than cars mfgd here or Japan, Korea, etc. Our 1st Jetta was a 00, which we replaced in 02 because we were certain it was a lemon. We loved the Jetta design so much, we wanted to give 'em another chance. Hey, everybody deserves 2nd chances. :D Anyway...so far, although we've been pretty satisfied with this one, we keep having bulbs go out(something I, nor anyone I know, has had problems with on their cars), the stereo go out, latches bust, steering column problems, power window problems... You know, despite all that, I still might give VW a chance. I test drove 2 of the new GTI's and they rock! :love:

• Members
Well, the newer crop of VW's come *packed* with features...features that seem to break down much sooner than cars mfgd here or Japan, Korea, etc. Our 1st Jetta was a 00, which we replaced in 02 because we were certain it was a lemon. We loved the Jetta design so much, we wanted to give 'em another chance. Hey, everybody deserves 2nd chances.
:D
Anyway...so far, although we've been pretty satisfied with this one, we keep having bulbs go out(something I, nor anyone I know, has had problems with on their cars), the stereo go out, latches bust, steering column problems, power window problems... You know, despite all that, I still might give VW a chance. I test drove 2 of the new GTI's and they rock!
:love:

Aw, crap. I think you just talked me out of one instead of talking me into one. I'm really, really bad with taking cars in. If something busted, it'd be months before she saw the shop. It's best I stay away from shops. I agree on the GIT's though. Every time I see one, I drool. Thanks for the info :)

• Moderators

They always tell you to wait until you poop the little one out to make major purchasing decisions. A car is one of them. There's a reason for that. Don't panic. Wait until the little one has been carted around a little while, and you see through experience what you really need.

[rant]I can speak of this through experience, too. I did the stupid stupid yuppy thing and bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, when my wife was about to hatch. I miss the leather and power moon roof, but the rest of it was kind of like a flo-bee. It sucked my will to live. First time somebody actually took a guess at my occupation and accused me of being a lawyer based on what I drove, that turdbucket was traded in, and I went back to driving a truck.[/rant] So just a word to the wise . . . . .take your time. A car seat fits in the back of 1987 Chevy Beretta as well as it does a brand new Ford Explorer.

• Members
Are you crazy???

:freak:

:D

As I told my wife last night, if she test drives the xB and likes it enough for us to buy it, I can take out a home equity loan for $25k leaving us ~$9k for remodelling. If she chooses the CRV or the RAV4, we'll likely spend it all on a vehicle. I don't really care what her decision is though. I just wanted to let her know that she does have some choices.

Archived