Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth

burdizzos

• Members

I've said this every time the debate comes around. And it gets essentially ignored every time the debate comes around.

There's no proof of who or what causes what we observe. We know so little about any of this it's not even funny. That doesn't mean we go on "business as usual". It also doesn't mean we go sign Kyoto, drive Prius' and live in cold dark huts.

No doubt - ESPECIALLY seeing how Kyoto was designed to hamstring the US, economically speaking...

- georgestrings

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Agreed - but I think that after he was tainted with the Clinton stink, his future options were limited a bit...

- georgestrings

His book was written before the Clinton stink could have stunk on him. He's chosen to make a living feeding off of environmental hysteria and Kyoto, which has nothing to do with Whitewater, secret health care meetings, cigars or the definition of is.

• Members

or debates over global warming it can't be denied that less pollution is a good thing! How environmental concern or desire to reduce polution ever became a 'bad' thing amazes me.

kudos to you!

It's not a bad thing in itself. But it BECOMES a bad thing when the concerns are used to scare people to push policies that would cost the U.S. economy 100 billion dollars just in initial capital investment when the HUMAN imprint on the global warming wouldn't stop it but only barely measureably slow it down if we eliminated ALL of our emissions.

• Members

I don't think it's crap, but a lot more complicated than either side of the debate would want to present it.

The world's climate is changing, there's no doubt about that. Now, whether it's due to human activity or not is a different issue. The earth's climate is always changing.

But no matter what anyone says, poisoning the atmosphere and seas can't be a good thing.

I'd agree with all that...

- georgestrings

• Members

they irk me because I fail to see what they add to the conversation..imho it is like saying Cheney is ugly.... is his appearance any reason to dismiss what he has to say? should we argue who's dad could beat who's dad up?

No, but I'll bet Al Gore is fatter then Cheney's Dad was.

• Members

...when the HUMAN imprint on the global warming wouldn't stop it but only barely measureably slow it down if we eliminated ALL of our emissions.

Ummm... I thought we didn't know what (if any) impact humans have on the environment. If we don't know, then how can we know that eliminating emissions would only barely slow things down (or not have any effect at all, as some say)?

Just sayin'.

• Members
well good on you....keep planting....if a few thousand other people plant a few thousand more...and we slow down worldwide harvest, trees might become a sustainable resource again.
:thu:

I have a brother the used to work for WEYERHAUSER. The big loggers like Weyerhauser recognized 6 decades ago that they would cut themselves out of business if they didn't sustain the forests. They've been planting two trees for every tree they cut down for over 5 decades. but THAT doesn't get any press.

• Members

Gore's a stereotypical liberal Democrat - he/they can't help themselves...

Just like all the gun-grabber Dems who attack the 2nd Amendment at every chance, but never go anywhere without a CCW, or armed bodyguards...

- georgestrings

Now, george... let's not get into a Constitutional holier-than-thou argument. Most who trumpet the Second Amendment only have a passing interest in the First and Fourth (not to mention the Fifth, Sixth, and Eighth), unless it pertains to lobbying for or infringement of said Second...

If you love one of them, you gotta love them all.

• Members
I have a brother the used to work for WEYERHAUSER. The big loggers like Weyerhauser recognized 6 decades ago that they would cut themselves out of business if they didn't sustain the forests. They've been planting two trees for every tree they cut down for over 5 decades. but THAT doesn't get any press.

Press? No eviiill corporate angle to sell product to the unwashed masses..of course no press. :rolleyes:

• CMS Author

Only if you're a Republican.

Try this - ask Mitt Romney about his great-great-great-grandfather's many wives.

Then, for comparison, ask Hillary about her husband's many affairs.

See who gives your a response.

Are you implying that Romney is stonewalling about this? The evidence seems to the contrary:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_el_pr/romney_polygamy

From that article:

Romney has joked about polygamy, saying in various settings that to him, "marriage is between a man and a woman ... and a woman and a woman." But in serious moments he has called the practice "bizarre" and noted his church excommunicates those who engage in it.

It's not much, but then I haven't gone beyond a quick wikipedia search and glanced over the links therein.

• Members

It's not a bad thing in itself. But it BECOMES a bad thing when the concerns are used to scare people....

I'll go farther and say that the following is bordering on terrorism....

I saw an ad on TV last week that, if viewed by a grade school kid, would be absolutely horrifiying...I mean nightmare material...

A man appears on screen talking about "global warming" walking down a railroad track....blah blah...

then says, but I don't care becaue the effects are too far in the future for me to worry about...

A train appears on the horizon heading for the man....it comes closer and closer and as he finishes his narrative he steps out of the way in time to avoid the train...

but when he steps out of the way, you see a child of 7-8 years old behind him on the tracks with the train barreling down on him (might have been a girl)

the commercial closes just before the train runs over the child....

Then the logo for whatever environmental group that sponsored the ad...

Abosolutey outrageous....has anyone else seen this POS...?

• Members
Case in point....I saw an ad on TV last week that, if viewed by a grade school kid, would be absolutely horrifiying...I mean nightmare material...

A man appears on screen talking about "global warming" walking down a railroad track....blah blah...

then says, but I don't care becaue the effects are too far in the future for me to worry about...

A train appears on the horizon heading for the man....it comes closer and closer and as he finishes his narrative he steps out of the way in time to avoid the train...

but when he steps out of the way, you see a child of 7-8 years old behind him on the tracks with the train barreling down on him (might have been a girl)

Jeebus!! :eek:

I haven't seen that one - probably a good thing seeing as how I would've put my foot through the television after having seen it. :mad:

• Members
Case in point....I saw an ad on TV last week that, if viewed by a grade school kid, would be absolutely horrifiying...I mean nightmare material...

yep. When reasoned debate fails...call in the cavalry of fear mongering! :D

• Members
Yeah, they are the ones who support harsh penaties for sex offenders and denying gay rights while having dirty online chats with under age male pages.

:p

Aren't YOU in favor of harsh penalties for child molesters and such?

And I would never deny gay people any rights. A gay man or gay woman should have the same right to marry a person of the opposite sex as I do.

• Members
Jeebus!!
:eek:

I haven't seen that one - probably a good thing seeing as how I would've put my foot through the television after having seen it.
:mad:

Man that's exactly the reaction I had....I was livid...

too bad I didn't write down the sponsor's organization....this kind of stuff really needs to be documented...

• Members

Are you implying that Romney is stonewalling about this? The evidence seems to the contrary:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_el_pr/romney_polygamy

From that article:

Romney has joked about polygamy, saying in various settings that to him, "marriage is between a man and a woman ... and a woman and a woman." But in serious moments he has called the practice "bizarre" and noted his church excommunicates those who engage in it.

It's not much, but then I haven't gone beyond a quick wikipedia search and glanced over the links therein.

As a Mormon, he has joked about polygamy but he has never addressed his great-great grandfathers polygamy. I'm just sayin, I could care less. I'm too busy scheming to get georgestring's guns.....:rolleyes:

• Members

Man that's exactly the reaction I had....I was livid...

too bad I didn't write down the sponsor's organization....this kind of stuff really needs to be documented...

Do you happen to remember the time of day when it aired? That'd be most important to me. Wouldn't bother me so much if it was later at night than a prime time when kids might be watching. I see the point they're trying to make, but scare tactics are just plain unethical - yeah, I know both sides do it, but that commercial is just wrong, IMHO.

• Members

Do you happen to remember the time of day when it aired? That'd be most important to me. Wouldn't bother me so much if it was later at night than a prime time when kids might be watching. I see the point they're trying to make, but scare tactics are just plain unethical - yeah, I know both sides do it, but that commercial is just wrong, IMHO.

I saw that commercial and didn't even think twice about it. Compared to all of the other trash on TV these days, it was nothing.

Archived