Jazz Bass players; do you use your volume and tone pots?

kayak

• Members

I'm getting ready to build a project bass based on the electronics of a jazz bass. I tend to play my jazz bass with the volume and tone controls maxed out all the time, adjusting my tone and volume with my playing style (and extreme volume changes with my amp, of course). I'm wondering how many of you guys do the same.

Do you think it would be reasonable to build a bass with no controls at all, just wire both pickups straight to the jack?

• Members

I'm getting ready to build a project bass based on the electronics of a jazz bass. I tend to play my jazz bass with the volume and tone controls maxed out all the time, adjusting my tone and volume with my playing style (and extreme volume changes with my amp, of course). I'm wondering how many of you guys do the same.

Do you think it would be reasonable to build a bass with no controls at all, just wire both pickups straight to the jack?

I don't think it'll sound as good as you think it will - I wouldn't do it... if anything, I'd atleast want to turn the volume all the way off sometimes...

- georgestrings

• Members

On my MIM Jazz I play with the tone cranked all the way, the bridge pup all the way and the mid-pup turned back just a touch. I could see where you'd want at least a volume knob so you can crank up your amp a bit more then you'd need then turn down the volume at the bass, that way if you do need a bit extra "punch" during a loud song you'd have the headroom at the touch of a volume knob.

• Members

I don't think it'll sound as good as you think it will - I wouldn't do it... if anything, I'd atleast want to turn the volume all the way off sometimes...

- georgestrings

Okay, how about no volume/tone controls, but with a mute switch?

• Members

I did that on my tele...bypassed the tone control....

I tend to set my controls and leave them, so I thought I'd be ok with doing any tone adjustment at the amp...

but no...I find that I do minor adjustments on the fly from time to time and do not like the by-passed tone control...

I'll be undoing that mod when I get new pots...

Based on that experiment, I would not consider it for any of my basses....c-d

• Members

Yes. I switch PUs for certain sounds as well. For slap ( G&L ASAT or passive SX Jazz ), both PUs dimed. I finger 99% of the time almost on top of the bridge. For 'fake fretless"; Bridge PU soloed in single coil mode, highs rolled off (on the Jazz, tone rolled off). Sliding notes with a little chorus it approximates a fretless sound within the framework of a band (not by itself) and is a good soloing setting. For 'fake upright", mid PU soloed, highs rolled back (not off - on the Jazz, tone rolled to about 3), and I play with my thumb as a pick toward the neck with a palm mute. Like the 'fake fretless', it approximates an upright (not by itself) within the framework of a band

• Members

Okay, how about no volume/tone controls, but with a mute switch?

Hey, that's up to you, bud - personally, I use 'em both... I keep my basses sounding somewhat "modern", and a bit on the bright side - yet with good low end... that way, all I have to do is to roll off the tone pot a bit to get a more "classic" P sound...

To each his/her own, I say...

- georgestrings

• Members

I find that I really don't touch the tone pot much. I just leave it all the way up. I do mess around with the volume pots quite a bit to get some different sounds.

Usually though I end up running everything wide open and changing how/where I pluck the strings.

• Members

Isn't there a bass that some guy builds that are all natural, have no truss rod, and only have a volume pot???? Bee Bass I think? How are those? I heard he does not build them with tone pots because he wants the real tone of the wood to come through and give the bass it's own personality. But, you run it through a bass amp, so how do you know if it's the wood of the bass or the electronics of the amp??

• Members

I use my jazz for in every situation, so I need the volume and tone pots. I set the tone anywhere from 0-10 depending on what I'm playing. I usually have both pickups on, but occasionally turn one of them down a little. Also, I don't max the volume knobs. I turn them about 3/4 of the way up. That way if I need more volume, I don't have to screw with my amp.

• Members

It is a personal prerequisite requirement that any bass I own has a bridge PUP and a Neck PUP and volume and tone controls for each PUP. A toggle switch is a nice addition but not a requirement as long as I have controls for each individual PUP.

regardless if the Instrument is equipped with a toggle it must have individual volume and tone controls for each individual pup.

No exceptions

Archived