Jam Band bassists

pianoman01

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is the first guy Allen Woody?

That guy ruled. I don't think I've ever heard someone else play like Allen - walking bass lines over southern rock like Rocco Prestia would.

+1,000,000

Phenomenal player, phenomenal band. I'm so grateful I not only got to see the original Mule a number of times, but meet Allen on a few occasions and talk music with him. They're all really great guys, and I dig the expanded lineup they have now with Danny Louis on keys.

• Members

I saw BT play maybe 4 times with Bobby and while I thought he was very good, Tad IMHO iss a level above him. I was really blown away when i saw him at Lollapolooza.

Blues Traveler has changed a lot since Bobby's passing. At first, I was very anti-tad (seeing as how he was Chan's brother and they seemed to have auditioned/tried many other great players before him) and I still think Bobby's playing was more appropriate for the band. But I have grown to appreciate Tad as an accomplished bassist who can definitely play (even if I still don't really think he fits the bill for the original BT sound).

• Members

+1,000,000

Phenomenal player, phenomenal band. I'm so grateful I not only got to see the original Mule a number of times, but meet Allen on a few occasions and talk music with him. They're all really great guys, and I dig the expanded lineup they have now with Danny Louis on keys.

I have heard some live recording of Gov't Mule since his death, and it just bugs me....I still think they are great, Warren Haynes is phenomenal, Matt Abts is a great drummer, but trying to fill Woody's shoes just isn't fair. He was so 'in tune' with that style, it was just sick (and I don't mean pitch-wise). Running 16th notes through chord changes the way Allen did still blows my mind.

I saw him live a few times too, and he just commanded the instrument. Complete control over his timing, melody and rhythm, all sounding effortless. Plus, he could shut up and play whole notes, or simple root-fifth lines when it was called for.

:cry: .......i miss Allen Woody.

• Members

Absolutely agree they don't sound anything like they used to. I liked them back then, but I like them now too....

:D Sounds like the joke by Mitch Hedberg....

"......back when I used to do drugs......well, I STILL do drugs, but I used to too."

• Members

While I can definitely feel those opinions on Tad, the original shows I saw in 89 and 1990 had a far superior vibe to any of the later day shows I caught with Bobby or Tad. Probably beacue they had yet to taste their full success and were hungry.

Lesh and Gordon are still tops on my list. Dave Driewitz of Ween, while not necessarily classified as a jam band, is also stellar bassist in his own right.

• Members

I have heard some live recording of Gov't Mule since his death, and it just bugs me....I still think they are great, Warren Haynes is phenomenal, Matt Abts is a great drummer, but trying to fill Woody's shoes just isn't fair. He was so 'in tune' with that style, it was just sick (and I don't mean pitch-wise). Running 16th notes through chord changes the way Allen did still blows my mind.

I saw him live a few times too, and he just commanded the instrument. Complete control over his timing, melody and rhythm, all sounding effortless. Plus, he could shut up and play whole notes, or simple root-fifth lines when it was called for.

:cry:
.......i miss Allen Woody.

:thu: +1111111

Archived