$1 overdraft... (stupid bank)

jonathan_matos5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If it's the first time, a lot of banks will reverse the charges. But beware of the big ol banks. I hate those bastards. They aren't very personal and love charging for anything. If you have a small community bank chances are they'll reverse the fee.

• Members

If it's the first time, a lot of banks will reverse the charges. But beware of the big ol banks. I hate those bastards. They aren't very personal and love charging for anything. If you have a small community bank chances are they'll reverse the fee.

its probably one of the largest in the state but always worth a shot to give them a call. ill call them :thu:

• Members

not enough ATM locations for the credit union otherwise i would have already done that:thu: i dont want $3 in charges just to take out $20:rolleyes:

your atm card should work at any ATM

You should be able to get a Visa debit through your credit union also that will work in any ATM or any of your local fast food joints nowdays;)

• Members

Look for the one's set up on communities (some of the seemingly exclusive ones are like this any way)

Here's the national site to

Thanks. So far, it looks like I'm eligible for only one of those.

What are the advantages of being a member? I'm trying to explain to hubby and I don't even know all the facts.

• Members

My credit union supplys my checks for free. If I overdraft, I have a free overdraft loan. My interest rates on my saving and checking accounts were higher than the banks in my area. I got a Visa through them with a very low interest rate, no annual fee, etc. Works great for me, but I'm a teacher.

When I use to live in the Detroit area, I was a part of a credit union through my church.

Yo.

• Members

Overdraft fees are big business for retail banks, as are fees in general. I'm a rent-a-cop and the bank I work at is very fee oriented. A money order is five dollars. A cashier's check is seven dollars. If you want old bank statements printed out because you don't have yours anymore, it's six dollars per statement. Overdrafts are $35 each occurrence and if the account stays negative they'll charge you seven dollars per day until you get it positive.

Retail banks have some of the highest profit margins in the free market. Don't mess with 'em!

• Members

Banks = Bad.

Credit Unions = Good.

That is all.

Not always.. I once had a savings account, with a small Credit Union, in the city were my dad lives, it was my first account and I had no reason to close it for the longest time. I just let the two hundred dollars sit there for a rainy day. Well one day they decided to have a min. account amount or they would charge about $10 a month. Well, I only got a statement once every 6 months and they never mailed me anything stating their new policy... until my next statement, 5 months after the policy had taken place! And of course I was just under the limit.

And on the other side of the coin, right now my current bank charges me nothing to have an account and the min for savings is about $50 (student accounts only). They also have an option, that is free, if I were to overdraft (haven't done it yet) they would take a set amount, I think $300 from my savings and use that. I think they do charge about $20 if they have to do that though.

• Members

Always read your account holder agreement carefully. When you sign your name upon opening an account you agree to the institution's terms. The fine print can really come back to bite you.

Another trick banks use:

You have ten dollars in your account.

You write a check for five dollars, then a check for twenty dollars. Both of them arrive at the bank on the same business day.

The bank will try to fund the twenty dollar check first, causing it to bounce (a $35 overdraft profit for them), and fund the five dollar check second, causing it to bounce as well.

They could've cleared the five dollar check and then bounced only the twenty dollar one, but that would only net them one overdraft fee instead of two.

They do this routinely.

• Members

If you don't overdraft all the time, most banks (big banks too) will reverse it.

But yes, I am done with big banks and only use credit unions. I have one setup in texas and one up here in virginia as well.

The best part? I have two credit lines which 1) are linked to my checking for OVERDRAFT PROTECTION and 2) double as low interest credit cards. I have $7,000 in texas at 5.5% and $8,000 up here at 8%.

I don't think I'll ever overdraft $15,000 worth, so it's a pretty good setup :D

• Members

Thanks. So far, it looks like I'm eligible for only one of those.

What are the advantages of being a member? I'm trying to explain to hubby and I don't even know all the facts.

The difference is that Banks are for-profit organizations, Credit Unions are not-for-profit.

Which means that generally you get better interest rates on your money (often significantly), lower interest rates on loans, lower fees, etc.

Not every credit union will be better than every bank though, so you should check it out in direct comparison, but generally, it's an advantage to use one (which is why you need to "qualify")

• Members

Not always.. I once had a savings account, with a small Credit Union, in the city were my dad lives, it was my first account and I had no reason to close it for the longest time. I just let the two hundred dollars sit there for a rainy day. Well one day they decided to have a min. account amount or they would charge about $10 a month. Well, I only got a statement once every 6 months and they never mailed me anything stating their new policy... until my next statement, 5 months after the policy had taken place! And of course I was just under the limit.

Once every six months? I've never heard of any financial institution that only sent out statements twice a year...

Archived