Defining "Modern Sound" vs "Old School Sound"

acmaddox0825

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not necessarily. One difference between "Old School" and "Modern" is the presence of a Tweeter in your cabinet. I know it was uncommon to have any sort of high frequency driver in your speaker until the early 80's.

• Members

I think of the old sound as more of a warmer P bass thump sound and the newer sound as more twangy and clanky.

This is a misconseption. Ignorant, IMNSFHO. :D

Today, we simply have the ability to affordably reproduce the full frequency spectrum that the electric bass produces. Twangyness and clankyness is in the hands of the performer.

• Members

This is a misconseption. Ignorant, IMNSFHO.
:D
Today, we simply have the ability to affordably reproduce the full frequency spectrum that the electric bass produces. Twangyness and clankyness is in the hands of the performer.

In the hands of the performer, yes, but it didn't really become popular until more recently. The MAJORITY (there are some old clankers) of older musicians seem to prefer smooth to clank.

• Members

Old-school - passive electronics through a 2x15 rig. Boomy, raw bass, present but not cutting through the mix.

New-school - Active electronics, more but smaller speakers, tweeter horn, 3x the power of your guitarists' amps combined. Extra highs and definition, but you lose presence, so you make up for it with raw volume.

• Members

Old-school - passive electronics through a 2x15 rig. Boomy, raw bass, present but not cutting through the mix.

:rolleyes:

Never heard of McIntosh power amps huh?

Oh, and we even had tone control knobs back in the day.

'magine nat. :eek:

;)

• Members

I'd describe a modern tone as more of a 'full spectrum' tone. That is it has the good deep lows, nice mids as well as good highs, the whole tone with a nice balance and no real weak areas in the freq range. A vintage tone to my ears seems to be more in a 'box', or rather more of a limited freq spectrum. Less deep lows, more present mids, not so much highs, and overall a little less clean or clear sounding.

• Members

I'd describe a modern tone as more of a 'full spectrum' tone. That is it has the good deep lows, nice mids as well as good highs, the whole tone with a nice balance and no real weak areas in the freq range. A vintage tone to my ears seems to be more in a 'box', or rather more of a limited freq spectrum. Less deep lows, more present mids, not so much highs, and overall a little less clean or clear sounding.

That about sums it up for me - except I'd add that modern tones usually have tighter lows, while vintage lows are lacking definition, and have tones that lack highs...

A comparison would be Rex from Pantera's tones vs Geezer Butler's typical sound - as far as rock bass goes, that is...

- georgestrings

• Members

I know a P or J-bass is the standard for old school.

What's the Modern Standard? What amp exemplifies this?

A P or a J could do both vintage and modern, IMO. Probably something active might fit the bill better...perhaps a Ray or a G&L?

Amp-wise, Ampeg SVT Classic or the Sunn amps that a lot of you guys rave about would be the prototypical vintage. Perhaps a GK or something like that would be THE modern tone, maybe? I think Mesa/Boogie and to a lesser extent, the Ampeg hybrid amps have a foot in both camps.

Archived