Are Any Of These Basses Worth Getting?

Megadeth Man

• Members

Although I'm fairly clueless about what's what in the bass world, I'm helping a mate to get a new bass on the cheap. :) Can you tell me about any of these entry level basses that we have under consideration?

Aria SB40

Aria IGB40

Cort Action 4

Ibanez BTB200

Ibanez EDB400

Ibanez GAXB150

Ibanez GSR180

Ibanez GSR200

Ibanez RD300

Ibanez SR300FM

Ibanez SRX350

LTD B-50

LTD B-154

PEAVEY Millenium 4 BXP

PEAVEY Millenium 4 AC BXP

SCHECTER STILETTO EXTREME 4

SCHECTER STILETTO DELUXE 4

SPECTOR Performer 4

SPECTOR Q4 Pro

Stagg Fusion

Warwick Rockbass Streamer Std 4

Washburn BB4

Washburn Force 4

Washburn T14

Washburn T24

Washburn XB120

Yamaha RBX170

Yamaha RBX270

Yamaha RBX374

Any experiences welcome. Are there any stand outs, any absolute dogs?

Playablity is the most important factor here rather than stunning tone. My friend is a girl with small hands, playing rock style with a plectrum, so factor that in.

Any suggestions or other recommendations?

Cheers. :thu:

• Members

The Peavey Millemium is a good line of basses. Much maligned as being cheap crap, but Peavey don't make no junk; their stuff is built to last.

I'd also recommend the Yamaha RBX374 and 375 (the 5-stringer version). Dual MM-style humbuckers with active electronics. Very basic, but for an active it's very inexpensive and an excellent value (Yamaha don't make no crap either; my $160 Yammie BB404 is a smooth player that sounds great). It uses the extreme-offset RBX body, but that body style can actually work rather well with a multitude of visual styles from metal to rock to jazz, even to christian.

Take a look at the Ibanez; they're a popular line and that's not for nothing. I just find their instruments to feel a bit flimsy sometimes (they have pretty slim neck profiles).

I would stay away from Schecter. Let the flames come, but I've never liked the sound or feel of these basses. They make good guitars though. Similarly, Warwicks just have never done it for me.

I would also have her take a look at an MIM Jazz. They are classic project basses (a large percentage of those that buy them upgrade them; usually pickups) but the newest models are very playable and good quality (definitely a far cry from pre-2000 models; Fender realized they were getting beat on the entry/mid level and re-thought their build and QA strategy). The stock pickups aren't bad through a decent combo like an Ampeg BA-115. The Jazz neck will be easier for your friend to work with, and they work visually with a rock image (maybe not metal), especially in black, white, or (for classic rock) sunburst.

• Members

The Peavey Millemium is a good line of basses. Much maligned as being cheap crap, but Peavey don't make no junk; their stuff is built to last.

I'd also recommend the Yamaha RBX374 and 375 (the 5-stringer version). Dual MM-style humbuckers with active electronics. Very basic, but for an active it's very inexpensive and an excellent value (Yamaha don't make no crap either; my $160 Yammie BB404 is a smooth player that sounds great). It uses the extreme-offset RBX body, but that body style can actually work rather well with a multitude of visual styles from metal to rock to jazz, even to christian.

Take a look at the Ibanez; they're a popular line and that's not for nothing. I just find their instruments to feel a bit flimsy sometimes (they have pretty slim neck profiles).

I would stay away from Schecter. Let the flames come, but I've never liked the sound or feel of these basses. They make good guitars though. Similarly, Warwicks just have never done it for me.

I would also have her take a look at an MIM Jazz. They are classic project basses (a large percentage of those that buy them upgrade them; usually pickups) but the newest models are very playable and good quality. The stock pickups aren't bad through a decent combo like an Ampeg BA-115. The Jazz neck will be easier for your friend to work with, and they work visually with a rock image (maybe not metal), especially in black, white, or (for classic rock) sunburst.

Thanks for the helpful info man, much appreciated. I'll take all your comments on board. :thu:

• Members

Nearly all of those basses come out of the same two factories, and all in there that I've played have been pretty consistent.

The Cort Action is a damn good bass. No frills, just solid construction. I know some girls with smallish hands playing Actions. The hardware on them is also nice enough that you won't need to worry about upgrading any of it.

• Members

every bass you listed are good Musical instruments made by reputable manufacturers it really all boils down to which one you like best.

dont make the mistake of letting someone tell you to buy this one when you really want another model because you will truly never be satisfied unless you buy the one you like best.

choosing a musical instrument is a personal choice and also a choice that has to fit your budget;) .

• Members

every bass you listed are good Musical instruments made by reputable manufacturers it really all boils down to which one you like best.

dont make the mistake of letting someone tell you to buy this one when you really want another model because you will truly never be satisfied unless you buy the one you like best.

choosing a musical instrument is a personal choice and also a choice that has to fit your budget;) .

He speaketh da truth!

• Moderators

I love this post.

• Members

:wave: When da man is right. Da Man is right:D

• Members

+1 gazillion. No amount of 'which one do you think is better' on the Internet is going to tell you how a particular bass will perform for you. Each bass is as individual as you are.

• Members

My washburn T24 has been impressive. I thought it had some neck isssues but I tweeked it back to normal. The neck is P bass wide but pretty thin top to bottom and stable due to the laminations. It sounds totally rich, especially with flats. I've had mine 3 years last week.

• Members

Thanks for all the info guys, it's very useful. :thu:

Just to clarify, the bass isn't for me. I'm the one who's telling someone else what to get. :lol:

I don't have any experience with any of those basses so I wanted to get a feel of how the land lies. I wanted to narrow down the options but it seems like you guys think that they are all half-decent so that is cool. :cool:

Me and the bassist will try out what we can but may have to take a gamble if the one she wants isn't available locally.

Cheers.

Archived