Simulating a Rickenbacker?

mlwarriner

• Members

As close as you can given you use the right materials and methods. It's really about how much detail you follow. I recommend checking a few out, taking measurements, including weight and try to approximate it as much as possible. Though I dont see it costing less, time or money wise.

• Members

Apart from the charm that the look and feel of a Ric provide in addition to the sound, I'd say the sound is achievable with the right electronics, a big slab of maple, and possibly neck-thru madness.

But I definitely agree with the sum is greater than the parts from BOALG.

• Members

I think the Variax is like $500.

Indeed it is. Prices on those dropped significantly. Now it'd almost be fun to buy one as a toy. Or I could wait 10 years until no one wants one and buy one used, then hold out for another 10 or 20 so they're collector items or wanted by the "vintage modeler" crowd ;):D

Dustin

• Members

You might get a Lawsuit Ric copy for under a grand (assuming the Rickenbacker lawyers don't beat you to it), and spend a couple hundred dollars getting Ric pups. At that point, you're in the same price range as the Real McCoy...

Or, you could get an inexpensive neck-through bass (vintage MIJ Vantage, or recent similar Asian bass, for example), re-rout the body for Ric pups, add a Ric bridge and approximate a Ric...

Or bite the bullet and get a Ric.

Have at it. :D

• Members

Get a real Ric unless you have luthier training. I cut up a real Ric cause I did not like the sound. Only a Ric has that feel and sound. I have a love/hate thing for them so I just don't have one anymore, but I am a big fan of OTHERS playing them. They look and sound sweet. I would consider another but they are not cheap. I get where you are coming from cash-wise. Most people who have them play them and consider it a cut above. My best advice is play a real one and make sure it is what you want, then get one if you cannot live without it.

• Members

because i can assemble the parts for a fakenbacker for far less $$ than getting the "singular sensation"...

YMMV

im gonna go against the grain here and say im right with you man. i wonder if warmoth could route out a body for rick pickups... or is the scale on them different or something?

• Members

Matt, just get a Ric you {censored}ing gear whore.
:D

as mentioned above, i can assemble a fakenbacker for far less than the real thing. warmoth mockingbird body, 13 degree tilted neck, ric electronics, well under a grand. finished to suit my tastes, routed and assembled by myself and takeout...

• Members

as mentioned above, i can assemble a fakenbacker for far less than the real thing. warmoth mockingbird body, 13 degree tilted neck, ric electronics, well under a grand. finished to suit my tastes, routed and assembled by myself and takeout...

It's not going to be a Ric man. ;)

But do what ever makes you happy.

• Members

This post almost makes me sad :(

In my opinion, you'll still continue to GAS for the real thing, and furthermore, will be $XXX behind in getting yourself a Ric. Do it right the first time, and save yourself the money and trouble. I don't think your money will be well spent trying to built/modify a parts bass to approximate a Ric. If you're able to drop the kind of coin you're referring to above, you can get a 4003 Ric for likely just a couple hundred extra.

I sold other basses of mine after I got my Ric over a year ago, and I couldn't be happier.

Just my 2 cents...

• Members

Perhaps another thing to consider is resale value. If you can find a used Ric, you can likely turn it for the same money you purchased it for. The Warmoth project will always be seen as somebody's Frakenstein creation. If you end up not liking it in the long run, you'll likely take a hit if you try to peddle it.

Or you may love it. I just think the real deal would be a better bet in the long run.

$.02

Dustin

Archived